Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough

Canada Post "Guaranteed" delivery

I sent a parcel for next day AM delivery last Wednesday morning. Obviously, no deliveries on Canada day so it would have been delivered on Friday. I didn't see any updates in the tracking system until after 1PM.

The online tracking now says delievered, but there is not time given as shown below.
Date Time Location Description
2010/07/02 AM AURORA Item successfully delivered

I PM'd my buyer at 12:15pm and he confirmed the item had not arrived yet, he got it as he was leaving his house around 12:30pm. I called Canada Post yesterday and the CSR claims delivery was made at 11:59am.
How would I be able to go about and file a claim?
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
40 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2862 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
It got there quick enough. Quit your bellyaching!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1009 posts
68 upvotes
Don't forget the time change...Your gonna squawk over 15 min?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1453 posts
295 upvotes
not sure exactly what industry the OP is in, but 15 minutes can be a critical difference for a delivery. Though as he says "buyer" and not "client" I can't think of to many situations where a buyer would be hard pressed for a product that is 15 minutes late.

Shipping companies have these guaranteed expedited services purely for time sensitive deliveries such as legal papers, accounting cutoffs etc. things that simply HAVE to be on time.

15 minutes can cost thousands, potentially millions of dollars.

Just saying, its not as petty as some may think.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
Stinger wrote: not sure exactly what industry the OP is in, but 15 minutes can be a critical difference for a delivery. Though as he says "buyer" and not "client" I can't think of to many situations where a buyer would be hard pressed for a product that is 15 minutes late.

Shipping companies have these guaranteed expedited services purely for time sensitive deliveries such as legal papers, accounting cutoffs etc. things that simply HAVE to be on time.

15 minutes can cost thousands, potentially millions of dollars.

Just saying, its not as petty as some may think.
Please give us an example of how a mailed item being 15 minutes late would cost a million dollars?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
ok in taxi ( toronto ) we get blood parcels from 67 college to all over hospitals and sometimes we deliver them straight to operating rooms, they even go to Mississauga and Brampton.

i`ve picked up legal documents from old city hall and new city hall and took em as far as oakville/richmond hill/malton to get them signed and back to to courts
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1453 posts
295 upvotes
spf1971 wrote: Please give us an example of how a mailed item being 15 minutes late would cost a million dollars?
Fail to file a legal motion, brief or other document or have forms submitted to the courts, defendant or agency not on time could easily be the difference between winning your lawsuit or being dismissed.

When a Judge says "deliver by 12PM" they mean BEFORE 12PM, not 12:01PM.

The legal system is relatively notorious for its last minute filings that's why I pick on it, but if you submit your taxes 15 minutes late on the last day you are likely going to be penalized 10% because they will therefore be considered received at the start of the next business day.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
Stinger wrote: Fail to file a legal motion, brief or other document or have forms submitted to the courts, defendant or agency not on time could easily be the difference between winning your lawsuit or being dismissed.

When a Judge says "deliver by 12PM" they mean BEFORE 12PM, not 12:01PM.

The legal system is relatively notorious for its last minute filings that's why I pick on it, but if you submit your taxes 15 minutes late on the last day you are likely going to be penalized 10% because they will therefore be considered received at the start of the next business day.
Any document that is so time critical that 15 minutes would cost a million dollars would not be mailed, they would be sent by a courier. My question was sarcastic and rhetorical in nature. Any documents that are so time critical would not be trusted to the general mail system.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
spf1971 wrote: Any document that is so time critical that 15 minutes would cost a million dollars would not be mailed, they would be sent by a courier. ..... Any documents that are so time critical would not be trusted to the general mail system.
+1
Important time sensitive stuff either goes courier or you walk it there yourself.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
dealman5 wrote: Don't forget the time change...Your gonna squawk over 15 min?
What time change? We were both in the same time zone. Heck I could had driven for less the cost of shipping if I had the time to do so. And it wasn't a matter of 15min, it was a full half hour late. I wouldn't have cared but the fact that Canada Post is trying to deceive and scam customers by saying it was delivered at 11:59AM??

It wasn't anything important like legal papers and stuff, just a zune. My buyer was leaving for vacation for the "long weekend" Friday afternoon so I just wanted to get this deal done and over with (been trying to sell since Feb/09).
Only reason I used CP was because FedEx and Purolator were in the $30 and $40 ranges respectively (this is RFD people!).
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
You're making mountains out of mole-hills.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
You get what you pay for.

If you really cared about getting it there on time, you would've paid extra and not used Canada Post.

But honestly, you didn't have time to drive it there yourself but you have time to make a nakedly frivolous claim over a half hour? Canada Post isn't like FedEx or those places - they don't track their packages to the minute.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
spf1971 wrote: Please give us an example of how a mailed item being 15 minutes late would cost a million dollars?
I work in an organization that handles Capital Projects worth millions of dollars. I can think of at least a half dozen documents that ARE this time sensitive. Often companies send their own staff vs relying on couriers - not that I knock couriers, its a damn hard job, but sometimes couriers may not realize if a particular document does not land on someone's desk by XXX hours, a lien could be placed on the building and this would cause a lot of headaches and a lot of money.

Edit: Another excellent example is when we have tenders due.. by 1400 hours exactly. If it's delivered at 1401, it is rejected, which has the company tendering possibly losing millions of dollars in revenue. So let alone 15 mins late, seconds late can cost millions.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
flashy_mcflash wrote: You get what you pay for.

If you really cared about getting it there on time, you would've paid extra and not used Canada Post.

But honestly, you didn't have time to drive it there yourself but you have time to make a nakedly frivolous claim over a half hour? Canada Post isn't like FedEx or those places - they don't track their packages to the minute.
So rather than hold Canada Post accountable for their claims, you blame someone for being upset and for using a cheap service. Perhaps it's time we start holding companies accountable for their claims.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
Their claim was to get it there the next day and it got there the next day. What's the problem?

Also to your point above, when you have something that needs to get there within a span of minutes, do you use Canada Post? I bet not.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: So rather than hold Canada Post accountable for their claims, you blame someone for being upset and for using a cheap service. Perhaps it's time we start holding companies accountable for their claims.
Of course, but for this case OP wants to make a claim for damages when no damages was suffered by either themselves or the buyer (not any that OP has indicated anyway). Two wrong's don't make a right.

If the buyer is withholding payment or demanding some sort of compensation then OP has some grounds for filing a damage claim. However it looks like the transaction went down smoothly and the fact that the package was 15 to 30 minutes late did not affect it renders it a non-issue. If anything, OP should make a complaint to Canada Post but filing for damages or expecting compensation in this case is blowing things out of proportion.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Certainly sounds like the driver forged a time to beat the noon deadline.

Escalate the matter!
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)