• Jul 11th, 2010 2:12 am
Tags:
None
Jan 23, 2009
53 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa

Notebook Purchase Help

I'm looking to have new laptop for new school year (so starting Sept). Just curious what you guys think about these questions.

1) Is it best to wait until Aug back to school sales or now would be the best time?

2) I heard there was new processor (Intel TI/something). Is it best to wait for that to come out or purchase now? Is there justifiable price difference between AMD or Intel, or either is good?

3) I'm looking for computer that is budget that preferable has its own video card instead using the motherboard. I don't plan to play the latest and greatest, but I would love to play Football Manager (simulation) and Civilization (strategy), which I think are not graphic intense. Is onboard graphics good for these type of games?

4) Which outlet is generally best of these? Futureshop/Local computer shops/Online retailers? Again price is the biggest issue with me and I don't care about customer service, etc.

Thanks.
3 replies
Jan 23, 2009
53 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
eldiablo wrote: What's the budget for this?
Cheapest possible. Probably less than $700 after taxes.
Apr 16, 2010
19 posts
Winnipeg
I think PC-Canada or elsewhere online will give you the best deals. In the netbook market of CPU's there is not much variation between AMD/Intel, but outside that maybe look for any i* series.

I'd recommend any Thinkpad for general school purposes, and especially with that budget an X100E might be good for you. The top model w/ tax/shipping is under $700. Plus, it's able to play some games including Source (HL2) with good results.