• Jul 27th, 2010 9:51 am
Tags:
None
Jun 4, 2007
478 posts
2 upvotes
Kitchener

Need help with HTPC build

So I've decided to build an HTPC and I need some help with which parts to use. I've gone through and read some threads in this forum regarding htpc builds but I'm still not sure what would be best for me. I'm hoping you knowledgeable people can help me out.

First and foremost I'm not looking to spend a lot on it. Around $400-500 after tax if possible. I need it to be able to play 1080p .mkv's flawlessly as well as remaining cool and being as close to silent as possible.

I'm not sure whether I should go AMD or Intel, but from what I've been reading AMD might be better for a cheaper htpc build.

GIGABYTE GA-785GMT m-atx motherboard - This might be overkill at $99? I want to go with m-atx and I like the option of having USB 3.0 support. Is the integrated audio and video good enough? and is it wise to go that route or should I get a dedicated GPU?

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz - I really have no idea what Processor to go with, and if this one will even work with the motherboard I posted above?

nMEDIAPC Black HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center - I like the look of this case, I'm not sure how quiet it would be though? Reviews seem decent.

I think 2GB of RAM should be enough, but I'm not sure what type to go with, if anyone has any suggestions? I'm also thinking of going with a 500GB HDD since I just recently purchased a 2TB drive for my media collection. Would a Western Digital Green drive be good enough to run the OS as well as stay cool and quiet?

I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, and I tried to do the research on my own but I would like to get input from people who are more intelligent on the subject than I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
AMD onboard is ok if you are only use SPDIF audio or discrete 5.1 jacks.

IMHO, the NMedia case (or anything with an integrated display) is a waste of $$...If you want cheap SFF, you might as well look at one of them Apex low profile cases from NCIX for ~$50. They are not the prettiest but the quality is actually pretty good including the proprietary PSU.

If have HDMI receiver, go with an ATI5450 card, you can cheap out a little on motherboard then.

Otherwise, look at Intel Core i3/H55 chipset if you want onboard everything. AMD is chepaer but you compromise somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Do you intend on bitstreaming any DTS/TrueHD over HDMI?

If yes, you can either get an HD5xxx or a Core i3.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
Is the integrated audio and video good enough? and is it wise to go that route or should I get a dedicated GPU?
Integrated is fine as long as it's a modern chip like HD 3xxx/4xxx or GMA HD/X4500HD.
I really have no idea what Processor to go with, and if this one will even work with the motherboard I posted above?
Any processor is fine. Yes, it will work.
I like the look of this case, I'm not sure how quiet it would be though? Reviews seem decent.
I doubt it's anywhere near quiet - I see 60mm fans at the back which are always loud. I would get a Silverstone Grandia GD05. You should also replace the stock CPU heatsink with something quieter and more efficient like the Scythe Big Shuriken.
Would a Western Digital Green drive be good enough to run the OS as well as stay cool and quiet?
Yes, it would be perfect for that.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Jun 4, 2007
478 posts
2 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks for the replies, I've decided to go with the Silverstone GD05 case.

I'm looking for a PSU now, having trouble choosing the right one. It has to be somewhat quiet, probably 400W and Modular would be nice. If any one has any recommendations?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
RayK wrote: Would a Western Digital Green drive be good enough to run the OS as well as stay cool and quiet?
If you get that drive, use it for your files, i.e. for storage. Buy a 320GB to 500GB (cheap $40) drive for the OS. I suggest the Samsung drives or WD, whatever is easy to get. Such a drive is the faster 7200rpm drive as the Green drive is better for storage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)