Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1528 posts
261 upvotes
East Coast!

Home Depot - Purchased BBQ, now's it's $100 cheaper

I purchased a Broil Mate BBQ from Home Depot around 45 days ago.. this morning i see the flyer and it shows it being on sale this sunday only for $249.99. I purchased it for $349.99.
I called customer service to see if i could get the difference back, she said if i purchased it within 30 days i could get the difference back. I asked her what the return policy is, she says 90 days.
WTF! I can return it on sunday and get my money back, then buy it again.. but yet they wont give me the $100 difference since i'm pass 30 days.

I checked the website and it does mention the 90 day return, but no mention at all of the 30 day price difference.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1176 posts
480 upvotes
Try going to the store and asking them for a refund on the difference in price. If they refuse, return yours and purchase the one on sale.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
Or to avoid carrying it back and forth, buy the discounted BBQ and then go to the returns line with your old receipt. This will work unless they keep track of serial numbers.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1528 posts
261 upvotes
East Coast!
This was the store that i was talking to..
I don't get it.. why not honor the price difference for 90 days, if your going to have a 90 day return policy.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
guessaaa wrote: Or to avoid carrying it back and forth, buy the discounted BBQ and then go to the returns line with your old receipt. This will work unless they keep track of serial numbers.
+1. Buy it on sale. Then proceed with box to the returns line with the old receipt and get a refund. If you really want to be an arse about it, go to the returns line first and attempt to get the price adjustment. Then walk away upon their refusal, buy BBQ, go back to returns line and present BBQ with old receipt. Though I doubt that proving a point will be worth your trouble or matter all that much to the employee you deal with.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1528 posts
261 upvotes
East Coast!
thanks everyone for the ideas..
One way or another i'll get my $100 this Sunday.
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
amz155 wrote: +1. Buy it on sale. Then proceed with box to the returns line with the old receipt and get a refund. If you really want to be an arse about it, go to the returns line first and attempt to get the price adjustment. Then walk away upon their refusal, buy BBQ, go back to returns line and present BBQ with old receipt. Though I doubt that proving a point will be worth your trouble or matter all that much to the employee you deal with.

That's exactly what I did.. I bought a Kohler toilet for $218, and about 40 days later, it was onsale for $149. It was already installed of course, so I went in with my bill for a price adjustment and they refused, so I went and bought a new one, wheeled it outside, and went right back in and passed in the old bill.. There was not a damn thing that they could do about it..!

Mark
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1942 posts
1109 upvotes
Yep, I've done that at Canadian Tire too, same problem -- 90 day return policy, but only 14-day price adjustment policy.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
amz155 wrote: +1. Buy it on sale. Then proceed with box to the returns line with the old receipt and get a refund. If you really want to be an arse about it, go to the returns line first and attempt to get the price adjustment. Then walk away upon their refusal, buy BBQ, go back to returns line and present BBQ with old receipt. Though I doubt that proving a point will be worth your trouble or matter all that much to the employee you deal with.
This would technically be fraud and could be grounds for arrest and prosecution. The old receipt was for a different item, regardless of the fact it is identical.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
delavoie wrote: thanks everyone for the ideas..
One way or another i'll get my $100 this Sunday.
I believe your expectations are way off-kilter. It is normal for seasonal items to decline in price as their primary season-of-use progresses and the item's remaining utility wanes. You had the use of the original BBQ for a lengthy period of time during prime barbequeing season, and you should expect a cost to be attached to this -- particularly given that portable BBQs have usable lifespans of 2-3 years for most of us.
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed, you didn't 'rent' it for the summer.

Seasonal items ALWAYS go on sale in August.

You'd have been better to buy one last August/this August for the following summer.

Good luck with this! :razz:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
Wingding wrote: This would technically be fraud and could be grounds for arrest and prosecution. The old receipt was for a different item, regardless of the fact it is identical.
Identical is not different. The item being returned is as described on the receipt. There's no lying about anything. If they kept track of serial numbers, it would be a different story.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
guessaaa wrote: Identical is not different. The item being returned is as described on the receipt. There's no lying about anything. If they kept track of serial numbers, it would be a different story.
... and the likelihood that there's a serial number on a mainstream BBQ or toilet - zip, zero, zilch, nada! A production/batch/lot number more likely, but I seriously doubt a serial number.

Fraud my arse! If they're going to call a cop and have me charged with fraud, I'll gladly spend the time in jail for the free meals. I've done the purchase/return thing in the past too; never had a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Wingding wrote: I believe your expectations are way off-kilter. It is normal for seasonal items to decline in price as their primary season-of-use progresses and the item's remaining utility wanes. You had the use of the original BBQ for a lengthy period of time during prime barbequeing season, and you should expect a cost to be attached to this -- particularly given that portable BBQs have usable lifespans of 2-3 years for most of us.
Yeah, its the same with buying patio furniture within the next few weeks and into Sept. That is the time to buy it for next year.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Mar 3, 2010
36 posts
Winnipeg
peroxide8888 wrote: ... and the likelihood that there's a serial number on a mainstream BBQ or toilet - zip, zero, zilch, nada! A production/batch/lot number more likely, but I seriously doubt a serial number.

Fraud my arse! If they're going to call a cop and have me charged with fraud, I'll gladly spend the time in jail for the free meals. I've done the purchase/return thing in the past too; never had a problem.
RFD at it's best. Why pay for food when I can go to jail and eat for FREE?

:rolleyes:
Jul 27, 2008
137 posts
30 upvotes
Michael Peltz wrote: RFD at it's best. Why pay for food when I can go to jail and eat for FREE?

LOL next thing you know theres a post in the hot deals section for free food in JAIL!!
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
Michael Peltz wrote: RFD at it's best. Why pay for food when I can go to jail and eat for FREE?

rambo6 wrote: LOL next thing you know theres a post in the hot deals section for free food in JAIL!!
I hope you got a chuckle out of my post, at least. :lol:

For the record, I've never been to jail (or been arrested for that matter). Not that I didn't deserve to be arrested/jailed on the odd occasion in my lifetime. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
No Frills wrote: Yeah, its the same with buying patio furniture within the next few weeks and into Sept. That is the time to buy it for next year.
ya.. i told my sister to do the same thing...she got a patio set for like $550 at walmart before canada day and now its $400... 90 day returns but they wont price adjust since its over 14 days.. which is stupid, price adjustment should be the same amount of days as returns.. to not waste both our time in having to get it at the price now and return with old receipt..

think is, i think its a massive box and i dunno if its easy to go thru check out and then to returns..
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2005
1247 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
peroxide8888 wrote: ... and the likelihood that there's a serial number on a mainstream BBQ or toilet - zip, zero, zilch, nada! A production/batch/lot number more likely, but I seriously doubt a serial number.
Fraud my arse!
Being able to get away with something without punishment does not mean that something is right or legal. lack of punishment <> legal or ethical. We can debate whether something is legal, ethical, or doable, but those are three different debates.
guessaaa wrote: Identical is not different. The item being returned is as described on the receipt. There's no lying about anything. If they kept track of serial numbers, it would be a different story.
The receipt also describes the date and time of the purchase of an item - a particular thing. Just because a thing is 'identical' to another thing doesn't mean it's not a particular thing in itself. You are lying when you go to the return and present a thing you bought today as the thing you bought previously. (you don't need to say anything to lie - you're presenting something as being one way when it is another) You can debate whether your lie is wrong or okay, but it's a lie.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)