• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2010 4:05 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 7, 2010
12 posts
Waterloo

USB enclosure repair

I have a broken USB enclosure...By "broken" I mean it wont turn on. Is it worth sending this for repairs, or should I just buy a new one? It cost me $115, so the repair price would need to be significantly cheaper than this....

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
A new enclosure is around $20 ... maybe even less. Unless you fix it yourself, I doubt it would be cheaper to pay someone else to fix it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
I think Meritline had one last week for $6.99 US
Phils
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
neptune22 wrote: I have a broken USB enclosure...By "broken" I mean it wont turn on. Is it worth sending this for repairs, or should I just buy a new one? It cost me $115, so the repair price would need to be significantly cheaper than this.... Thanks!
You must have bought this a long time ago... or did it include the hard drive too....? If that's the case, tear it apart and pop the drive in a new USB enclosure, your cost $30. Sounds like the power supply gave up, if it's a wall wart, you might get lucky finding a new one.
Aug 7, 2010
12 posts
Waterloo
Now that I think about it... I MUST have included the HD if the going rate is $20 or less. I've been out of the loop with these for awhile. Actually that's the first and only enclosure i've bought!

I have a Canada Computers nearby so I'll try and stop in to see the prices.