• Aug 23rd, 2010 4:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2893 posts
53 upvotes

BUYERS BEWARE - Home Hardware tools

Just a story for thought with regards to Home Hardware in house branded tools.

Okay, so yesterday I went out to look for a belt hole puncher to create holes in my leather belts.

Home Hardware was the only shop I could find that had the tool for sale aside from Ebay and such.

They didn't have their top of the line model for sale so I settled for their "in-house brand" which was a lot cheaper.

Upon check out, the attendant stated that this item is "final sale" and can only be exchanged within a 7 day period.. I knew this probably indicated something about the actual quality of the tool but figured if it can work for at least a few months then it should be fine.

So I bought it and started using it at home (just in case I needed an exchange).

Lo and behold after only 5 holes (different belts). The craptastic metal frame of a handle of the puncher had actually bent under the force of each punch! Resulting in a lever that no longer actually worked.

Basically, the two handles had bent inwards towards each other!

So now I have to go to Home Hardware and ask for an exchange OR upgrade (i'll pay the difference) as their in-store tools are complete crap.

I'm not that strong and the handle bent in after 5 holes! Ridiculous
3 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Rx-87 wrote: Upon check out, the attendant stated that this item is "final sale" and can only be exchanged within a 7 day period.. I knew this probably indicated something about the actual quality of the tool but figured if it can work for at least a few months then it should be fine.
Why would this not be because a hole puncher is something you use relatively rarely? These are the types of tools people tend to 'rent' from retail stores. So I don't blame them...they've probably seen it happen many times.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Rx-87 wrote: this item is "final sale" and can only be exchanged within a 7 day period.
That's not necessarily because it's their house brand (Benchmark.) More likely it's because they're clearing that model out -- perhaps because you're not the first person to run into problems with it.

If you get hassled trying to return it I'd send a polite note to HQ in St Jacobs and tell them how disappointed you are with the quality of their products and, more importantly, with the quality of their customer service. You'll get satisfaction from HQ quickly.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)