Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario

Laptop vs Desktop

Out of curiousity, for the same money spent, can you buy a more powerful desktop PC than laptop?

This is a follow-up thread to my Acer G73 discussion. If I were to spend the same money as the G73 ($1699) on a desktop, what kind of beast could I get?

I was looking at the Dell XPS Studio desktops - not sure how they rate.
I have the resource (brother) to put together a custom machine - not sure if it's worth it.

You were very helpful in leading me towards the G73. What is considered the same calibre in desktops, considering the same budget.

Thanks
26 replies
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
For the same money a desktop is much more powerful. Laptops have to balance power consumption, size and heat in a very small enclosure against performance, where desktops don't have this limitation. For $1699 you can build a great desktop and have money to spare. Overclock it and you get even more performance for your money.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
I gave up on expensive laptops. I suggest spending 1000$ on a decent desktop for heavy lifting and gaming, and 500$ for a cheap CULv laptop/netbook for email and surfing.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: I gave up on expensive laptops. I suggest spending 1000$ on a decent desktop for heavy lifting and gaming, and 500$ for a cheap CULv laptop/netbook for email and surfing.

+1. I don't see the point of expensive laptops. They will never be as good as a desktop for a fraction, are not upgradable like your desktop, and usually powerful laptops are heavier and thus compromise on the 1 thing laptops have on desktops : Portability.

I do the same: Good desktop for everything, and a small cheap laptop/netbook for basic things and portability.
Mar 29, 2009
367 posts
22 upvotes
GTA
jackrabbit000 wrote: You can put whatever cpu into a desktop. The one that I have is a i7-950 3.06 ghz. I've never seen any laptop with this processor yet. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. One thing good about a laptop is that when running it wireless at home you can have it anywhere or take it with you.

I think both. like others here have mentioned, a small cheap laptop for it's portability to take around with you if needed, and a desktop for full productivity and home entertainment, like a decent monitor, nice speakers, full keyboard, etc..
Banned
Sep 6, 2007
631 posts
16 upvotes
To the people that see no point in expensive/powerful laptops:

A CULV processors won't do for people who work with AutoCAD/Rhinoceros and need portability.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
BooR4dL3y wrote: The only reasons I'd get a laptop is for the portability or if it's really cheap.

You should checkout the NCIX: Custom Built Computers - $1000 and $700 Gaming Computers thread. It's got a lot info on custom builds.

This. The main reasons why laptops are expensive Is because your paying for the "portability and size" feature, Being able to bring It wherever you want to as to a computer where It's stationary.

100% You can always build a stronger computer then to a buy laptop with the money spent unless there's an insanely cheap laptop for sale.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
SecuritySic wrote: To the people that see no point in expensive/powerful laptops:

A CULV processors won't do for people who work with AutoCAD/Rhinoceros and need portability.

Good point, but that depends on what kind of user and what their needs are. Most people often just use laptops for the Internet, watch some movies, and maybe some word processing. These tasks don't generally require a really expensive configuration. In this case, it's not worth spending that much an expensive laptop that would be underutilized.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I'm not a fan of having a desktop and a laptop. I'd rather pay the premium for a laptop that I can use for both, so that I don't have to switch between machines, have to make sure that both have everything I need on them, keep them synced, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks for all the responses. You are all very helpful.

I will check out that custom build thread to see if it's worth it.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Dell's XPS Studio desktops, for purchasing one already built?

OH
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1958 posts
84 upvotes
Manatus wrote: Personally I'm not a fan of having a desktop and a laptop. I'd rather pay the premium for a laptop that I can use for both, so that I don't have to switch between machines, have to make sure that both have everything I need on them, keep them synced, etc.
Same here, I recently ditched my desktop for laptop & dock. At home, everything's plugged in (to the docking station) anyway.

However I'd say the decision will depend on the performance requirement. I don't game anymore so I don't need the latest and greatest CPU/GPU.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
448 upvotes
Help me
If you are a gamer, get a desktop.

If you are not a gamer, get a laptop. Macbook Pros are excellent machines.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
1139 posts
405 upvotes
Silly question,
But what do you plan on using the computer for? Why spend $$ when you don't need to?

If you really want to spend the $$$ why not get both?
use the laptop for your portable computing and desktop for heavier lifting.
You can even use your a laptop for remote desktop connection too :-)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
Right. First, decide on what you need the computer(s) for. For almost 2 grand, you can buy 2 computers, one laptop and one desktop. I really doubt many people who buy $2000 builds need all that power but people can do what they want with their money.

It makes way more sense (to me, anyway) to buy 2 machines if that's your budget: one desktop for your power and gaming or whatever you want to do and a laptop for all-purpose. The laptop can still be a powerful machine for the money. I think if you split the budget up for the two machines (roughly, a grand a piece) or have the laptop have as much power/discrete graphics etc. as possible, you'd be set. Remember, it's much more easier to upgrade a desktop than a laptop, generally, so take a good look at the laptops.

The desktop will have mobo sockets that you can always just as easily put in a different cpu, video card can be changed, psu, etc. The laptop isn't as likely to be upgraded and usually, it's just RAM or a processor. I think the laptop is especially useful for the portability. Even if you're at home, you can move it to a different room of the house or take it on trips or whatever. It's lighter and easier to move around. The desktop usually doesn't give you that unless it's a HTPC build or something.

I vote for two machines and don't skimp out on the laptop with such a budget but it's easier to upgrade a desktop so you don't need the best components right away....imho.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
having a laptop, even if it's a desktop replacement, looks more tidy with much less wires, and i presume that laptops consume less power than desktops?

also, if you room or home has very limited space laptop is also a consideration; personally i dont have the space to put in a big fat tower
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
1139 posts
405 upvotes
chroma_cg wrote: having a laptop, even if it's a desktop replacement, looks more tidy with much less wires, and i presume that laptops consume less power than desktops?

also, if you room or home has very limited space laptop is also a consideration; personally i dont have the space to put in a big fat tower

You sound like my wife :-)
less wires is arguable since you can get wireless everything except for monitors (at least today, who knows if they;'ll ever doe something like bluetooth monitors or something silly like that.)

And again it goes back to to what the OP needs the computer for and as you mentioned how it'll fit in their space.

IF OP wants to spend 1700 bucks, that's up to him, but all I say is do it wisely
I can find a way to spend 1000 bucks and get a machine that is well more than I need.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11802 posts
620 upvotes
If all you do is light-duty stuff like word processing, e-mail, web browsing, and watching movies then a laptop with a docking station is a pretty good solution.

With the docking station, you can sit at a more comfortable desk when you want to do something for a long period of time. Laptops are pretty terrible ergonomically.

If you do anything computationally-intensive regularly, a desktop is worth the money.

I'm with the others who say that I'd rather have a portable notebook (not too big or heavy) and a powerful desktop if I need to have both. I have a Q9650/8GB on my desktop and when it comes to jobs like encoding or re-encoding video, it is a huge time-saver.

I probably use the laptop 75% of the time and the desktop 25% of the time. If I need to work for long periods, I'd never do it on the notebook because it's just too uncomfortable.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
dealCker wrote: You sound like my wife :-)
close, but it's my dad who is a tidiness freak