Computers & Electronics

I am looking for security camera for outdoors?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2010 11:07 am
Tags:
None
Jan 11, 2009
189 posts
1 upvote

I am looking for security camera for outdoors?

Hello, I am looking for some kind of security camera to be mounted outside viewing my backyard it does not have to be expensive or fancy.I would like to to be used with my computer if possible and to be able to pick up what happens at nighttime.Any help appreciated.
Something simple but works well.
Thks
8 replies
Jan 11, 2009
189 posts
1 upvote
Thks for reply , great cameras but I was looking for something cheaper, that would do a good job also.Thks
Jan 11, 2009
189 posts
1 upvote
Anyone else with ideas like with wireless cams like Costco used to sell for under 250$.Has anyone seen these sold maybe 2 years ago .would ebay have these? Thks
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
Cheap cameras require a fair amount of ambient light and usually have cheap lenses which don;t produce great images; Then there are the remperature and moisture issues.

A GOOD analog day-night camera with a DECENT lans will cost on the order of $550 at the distributor level - depending on the type of camera you might need a heated weatherproof enclosure which can set you back another $80-$150 - but these things can see in almost pitch blackness.

From there you would need to do something with the signal to get it into your computer, of that's the way you wanted to go. A video capture card and appropriate software would do the trick - or you could connect it to a network-enabled DVR (Digital Video Recorder) and keep a recxord of the goings-on on the device's hard drive.

IP cameras have web servers and streaming datra built in and cost more, but the front ends (the pickups and lenses) are the same. The advantage to an IP camera is that every modern network-enabled computer can handle the interface.
Jan 11, 2009
189 posts
1 upvote
Thks for reply, I'm not looking for anything fancy or with a pic or video, just something to catch a loser in my backyard.
I have a friend who bought a set of wireless for 200$ 2 years ago, I seen the setup and it is actually pretty good and did it's job.
He caught the guy, it was his next door neighbour.
I am just looking for same ,I know it's out there just don't know where to look.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
Borrow the setup your friend used.
Jan 11, 2009
189 posts
1 upvote
Thks for reply ,friend has setup well hidden with 4 cameras too much work to take that all down.I'll check out link above.Thks