• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2010 10:45 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 3, 2008
49 posts
Toronto

Rain check question

What is a stores obligation when they give out a rain check?

We recently got a rain check for a laptop that was on sale at one of the big box stores. They didn't have any "working" ones in stock so they gave us a rain check along with the current promotion that was going on. It's all written on the rain check, which is good for 30 days.

2 days later they removed the laptop from their site. We went into a different store yesterday and they said they don't carry that model anymore.

Now from my understanding, if they give you a rain check they legally must provide you with an item of equal or greater value if they cannot provide the exact item the rain check is for. Is that correct?

I just don't want to get screwed over by this big box store.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
Wesly wrote: What is a stores obligation when they give out a rain check?

We recently got a rain check for a laptop that was on sale at one of the big box stores. They didn't have any "working" ones in stock so they gave us a rain check along with the current promotion that was going on. It's all written on the rain check, which is good for 30 days.

2 days later they removed the laptop from their site. We went into a different store yesterday and they said they don't carry that model anymore.

Now from my understanding, if they give you a rain check they legally must provide you with an item of equal or greater value if they cannot provide the exact item the rain check is for. Is that correct?

I just don't want to get screwed over by this big box store.

I don't think there is any legislation on rain checks. The store doesn't even have to issue them. I would talk to the store manager from where you got it and try to get some compromise on a similar/comparable product.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
Wesly wrote:
Nope. Not correct. A raincheck is a customer service and not a contract.
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
Not long ago, it was a legal requirement that if a retailer was "out of stock" on an advertised product, you were entitled to a raincheck. However, now that government has been completely criminalized, such silly consumer protection laws have been rescinded, and "rain-checks" are to be issued at the sole discretion and generosity of the retailer.
Even if they do, the 30 day expiry allows them to avoid providing the item by simply delaying restocking until the rain-checks have expired.
Welcome to the one world government by the Mafia.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
jan_db wrote: Not long ago, it was a legal requirement that if a retailer was "out of stock" on an advertised product, you were entitled to a raincheck.

Not that I ever recall. It is a requirement in some US states under their consumer protection laws. In Canada rainchecks can be issued to avoid complaints of false advertising but the retailer can just as easily show that stock wasn't available for reasons outside of his control (boat from China sank, demand for item was extraordinary etc). Realistically in Canada consumer laws are so weak that it's extremely rare for anyone to be charged with anything. And there are pretty blatant examples here where stores advertise ridiculously low prices on a big sale item and then have only token stock which is gone within hours. We've never had a champion for consumers at the federal cabinet level.
Nov 14, 2007
171 posts
1 upvote
Ontario
My understanding is the rain cheque guarantees the price for 30 days but does not really guarantee the product. Some retailers abuse this, while others are not smart enough to judge the demand for a decent sale item.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)