Computers & Electronics

where to get quality cat5e cable for 100ft long?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2010 7:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, On

where to get quality cat5e cable for 100ft long?

I have bought 2 pairs of 75ft long cat5e cables at factorydirect.ca, nonetheless, both of 'em are craps (shame on you factorydirect!). No connections at all.

My computer is located at a weird corner in the house wireless doesn't do the job, I have to resort to wired connection but where the heck can I get quality 100ft long cables?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1446 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
jian1 wrote: I have bought 2 pairs of 75ft long cat5e cables at factorydirect.ca, nonetheless, both of 'em are craps (shame on you factorydirect!). No connections at all.

My computer is located at a weird corner in the house wireless doesn't do the job, I have to resort to wired connection but where the heck can I get quality 100ft long cables?

That's unfortunate -- I bought 2 100ft long cat5 (not 5e) from them a couple years back and they're still working fine. Have you tried taking them back? Or you can also try re-crimping the heads. Although if you don't have replacement jacks or a crimper, buying new cables might be cheaper.

In any case, my go-to place for cables nowadays is monoprice.com. I've bought several cat5e and cat6 cables (ranging from 6ft to 50ft) and they've all seem good to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7742 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
CanadaComputer or Tiger ...FD.ca has a warranty of 90days so just get new cables from them... also, make sure they are NOT crossover (though that is unlikely).
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, On
supernerd wrote: That's unfortunate -- I bought 2 100ft long cat5 (not 5e) from them a couple years back and they're still working fine. Have you tried taking them back? Or you can also try re-crimping the heads. Although if you don't have replacement jacks or a crimper, buying new cables might be cheaper.

In any case, my go-to place for cables nowadays is monoprice.com. I've bought several cat5e and cat6 cables (ranging from 6ft to 50ft) and they've all seem good to me.

This is what I bought > :( > :( > :(

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/pro ... ode=CX0075

It worked for about 10 minutes while I was enjoying watching HD movies then suddenly, network cable is unplugged... I was like wtf?

1st I thought it was my computer network card, tried another *quality* pair given by rogers, works flawlessly, tried several computers, none worked. Then I became skeptic about my router, give it a swirl over my brand new switch, same shxt.

I bought two of them, and none worked! very frustrating.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, On
supernerd wrote: Funny how factorydirect uses the image from monoprice. :P

maybe I should resort to build the cable by someone else? I can buy a bulk and having somebody work on the connectors?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2599 posts
122 upvotes
the ethernet and hdmi cables ive bought from monoprice have worked flawlessly, and are dirt cheap, but the ethernet one wasn't that long.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6697 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
Most likely your router cannot handle the load your pushing or your onboard network card.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Incredible to believe that it is defective cable. Pretty hard to muck up a cable. I have runs that exceed 100 feet, mix of cat5 and cat5e, spanning from 2nd floor to basement, made my own terminations. All lines work perfectly at 1000 base. Try pointing the finger at something else.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
mysticalinfluence wrote: Most likely your router cannot handle the load your pushing or your onboard network card.
nonsense.

It most likely is the cable but not so much the conductor as it is the crimping or the actual end-terminal (RJ-45). I had purchased a batch of RJ-45 from FactoryDirect a few years ago and many were crap. I have never purchased anything from them in the last several years as most of their stuff is garbage.

Two years ago I purchased a 1000' spool (cat5e/solid conductor) from a local electrical contractor at a great price.The cable was manufactured by Philips.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1446 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
eldiablo wrote: nonsense.

It most likely is the cable but not so much the conductor as it is the crimping or the actual end-terminal
+1

I see it with coax cables often as well. I've actually improved my internet speeds and tv picture quality by re-crimping the terminals.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1446 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
jian1 wrote: maybe I should resort to build the cable by someone else? I can buy a bulk and having somebody work on the connectors?

I meant that I think factory direct just ripped off the pictures from monoprice. I'd still trust cables from monoprice. They at least have a warranty statement (I think it's actually lifetime warranty on cables -- but you have to deal with the actual manufacturer).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
I've got a 100ft long cat6 cable from monoprice and it's been pushed through 3 walls and jammed under the floorboards with a screwdriver, and is able to push out 400-500mbit consistently over hundreds of gigs!

$18 USD including shipping!
Feb 4, 2004
281 posts
47 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: I've got a 100ft long cat6 cable from monoprice and it's been pushed through 3 walls and jammed under the floorboards with a screwdriver, and is able to push out 400-500mbit consistently over hundreds of gigs!

$18 USD including shipping!

Did you get dinged much or at all with duties on the monoproce 100ft cable?
"Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or lose, its how drunk you get."
H. Simpson
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Mox wrote: Did you get dinged much or at all with duties on the monoproce 100ft cable?
If it is less than $20 then you don't get dinged. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)