Computers & Electronics

What's going on with Bell's unlimited internet plan (grandfathered 6MB)?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2010 11:27 pm
Jun 20, 2003
300 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

What's going on with Bell's unlimited internet plan (grandfathered 6MB)?

I've been on this plan for a decade and I haven't been on a contract for over a year .. it's costing me $60+ per month. Usually I call them up to discuss canceling and they offer me a contract for about $30 per month. I have to call again, but does anyone know if they still offer the contract rates?

I spoke to a Bell rep about a different issue and was offered $15 off the Fibe12 or Fibe16 plans for 1 year, but said she couldn't offer me anything on the grandfathered unlimited plan.

I know some of you will say switch to Teksavvy or something, but do they even offer unlimited plans?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
The big companies have been actively clearing out their unlimited subscribed customers for a while now...

Your time has come I guess.
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
Bell came up with something called UBB - Usage Based Billing and went to the CRTC and had them force it upon
the smaller ISPs such as Teksavvy.
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010 ... ernet.html

This will mean that all DSL companies that use Bell lines for the last mile (which is almost all of them)
will have caps of approximately 60GB/month.

However, the CRTC said that to impose UBB on the smaller ISPs, Bell must first remove all
"unlimited" plans from their own customers.

Welcome to internet service in Canada.

The alternative is to wait it out and go cable. Teksavvy may have cable service in your area
or at least should have service within the next few months.
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
126 upvotes
Chatham
please for the sake of everyone relying on unlimited DSL services, dont change or cancel your plan.

If you're really in financial problem, you might ask for small donation. I bet few ppl will chip in $1 or $2.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
Those aholes keep trying to jack up the price on the service, I just bought myself a new 2TB drive, and have been downloading non-stop this month using usenet, a week in, and I'm at around 250GBs. That's how you get them back!
Jun 20, 2003
300 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
jetway1212 wrote: please for the sake of everyone relying on unlimited DSL services, dont change or cancel your plan.

If you're really in financial problem, you might ask for small donation. I bet few ppl will chip in $1 or $2.

But they would have to chip that in monthly, LOL. I dont know if I can overpay for unlimited internet so others can enjoy the same service for a lower price.
Jun 20, 2003
300 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
HowEver wrote: Bell hasn't said anything about my unlimited internet plan, which I've had forever.

How much are you paying?
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2008
1203 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
I'm also still using that unlimited internet plan for quite a while.. bell never said anything to me about the unlimited plan going gg.. and i'm paying like 67$ when i use to pay 60$.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
At one point I was paying 55, now 59+ taxes. Dbags. Whatever, this month I'm hoping to hit a TB of downloads.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
I'm with Bell for over Eight years, Bell hasn't said anything about my unlimited Internet plan
cheers.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: However, the CRTC said that to impose UBB on the smaller ISPs, Bell must first remove all
"unlimited" plans from their own customers.
What's stopping Bell from replacing all remaining unlimited plans with limited plans, capped say at 1000 GB ?
There will be no difference for them and users, only this requirement will be fulfilled.
May 26, 2009
166 posts
10 upvotes
We've been with Bell for almost 6 years now on the unlimited plan, and what i've noticed is that they have been jacking up the plan price. We used to pay $43++. In the last couple of years, they have been steadily raising the cost (removing vague credits and such ... bah) and now we are paying close to $70 for it! Everytime i have to call Bell they keep pressuring us to switch.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Obviously Bell is trying to up the price to force their customers to move to another plan without making it look that they are actually "forcing" them.
arm2000 wrote: What's stopping Bell from replacing all remaining unlimited plans with limited plans, capped say at 1000 GB ?
There will be no difference for them and users, only this requirement will be fulfilled.

I don't think that will work. They don't have to just take their customers off the unlimited plans, they have to charge UBB rates to their own customers as well so the playing field is level.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2004
1172 posts
44 upvotes
Markham
Phoned up bell today to lower my phone bill and while doing so the CSR checked my internet usage and plan. All she said was that they don't offer unlimited anymore and it's best that I keep it since I download a lot. Nice of her not to shove Fibe down my throat.
Jun 2, 2006
303 posts
66 upvotes
Newmarket
sillysimms wrote: Obviously Bell is trying to up the price to force their customers to move to another plan without making it look that they are actually "forcing" them.

I don't think that will work. They don't have to just take their customers off the unlimited plans, they have to charge UBB rates to their own customers as well so the playing field is level.
I'm on the old unlimited plan as well. I'm paying $49.90 with discounts

Monthly Services (Aug 12 to Sep 11)
1 Modem Lease 3.95
1 Bundle from Bell High Speed 55.95
Less High Speed plan discount 5.00cr
Less Digital Bundle Discount 5.00cr
Total Monthly Charges (before taxes) 49.90

I have averaged 110gb for the last 3 months

I will never leave this plan, especially now with Netflix coming to Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
arm2000 wrote: What's stopping Bell from replacing all remaining unlimited plans with limited plans, capped say at 1000 GB ?
Then they'll have to offer the smaller ISPs the same option.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
redbulldrinker wrote: I'm on the old unlimited plan as well. I'm paying $49.90 with discounts

Monthly Services (Aug 12 to Sep 11)
1 Modem Lease 3.95
1 Bundle from Bell High Speed 55.95
Less High Speed plan discount 5.00cr
Less Digital Bundle Discount 5.00cr
Total Monthly Charges (before taxes) 49.90

I have averaged 110gb for the last 3 months

I will never leave this plan, especially now with Netflix coming to Canada

Everyone with TS and other Bell reseller ISPs is counting on people not leaving Bell's unlimited plans. Hopefully Bell doesn't eventually eliminate the unlimited plans to comply with the CRTC requirements necessary to implement caps on their resellers.