• Sep 22nd, 2010 4:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes

Whats the best streaming device now?

I was looking at getting one of these as they seem pretty awesome and play essentially everything right away but ive heard some complaints about them in one way or another. Things like bad interface, hard to set up right, just doesnt work, lag etc.

Is there one now that is just the "must have" or are the options essentially the same? The patriot box office looks really good to me but im totally out of the loop on these things.

I would be looking for something to use a hardline and stream content from my computer, not a external drive. Currently im using a PS3 with PS3 media server and it works great but im considering doing a swap to something that uses a bit less power if its as easy or easier to use. Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
WD Live does everything that you want and it plays pretty much every format there is. You can get one for roughly $120 when on sale
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
81 upvotes
+1 for the WD

A friend of mine has WD and PBO. Although the latter has internal HDD, he tells me the box doesn't upconvert, so WD wins on picture quality.

I have two WD Live's and the family loves them to bits.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
482 upvotes
With the Netflix announcement coming, if you're interested in it, you'll want to make sure whichever device you buy supports it.
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Yep, if I was buying a unit now it would be the western digital live plus. Netflix is a nice bonus for an extra $10.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
FerrisB wrote: Yep, if I was buying a unit now it would be the western digital live plus. Netflix is a nice bonus for an extra $10.

There is a live + now? What all features did they add or was it just netflix?

Is the WDlive easy to use? Also what about the patriot box office? It would be for my wife and myself and she likes ease of use.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
As usual, price should be a big factor and WDTV Live absolutely has no business to command $100 whilst PBO can be had for ~$60 regularly after rebate (though rebate is something I dislike :) )

WDTV Live has very slight better picture quality I think because it has a 12-bit color mode. Upconversion is overrated...these are really for 1080p/720p playback, not crappy 700MB movie, not DVD...nothing out there will make SD fly.

Internet movie application is again not worthy. Youtube is also SD, HD is killed by WDTV Live firmwares.

I have both PBO and WDTV Live, they have their advantages and disadvantages. After using them more more than a year now, they are still not reliable enough to stream from standard Windows shared folders even they work >90% for me.

If I were to have just one unit, it would definitely be the PBO with an internal HDD installed.

For semi tech-illiterate, WDTV Live is better as the interface is more simple. Both units are well supported by 3rd party firmwares for enthusiasts.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)