Computers & Electronics

DLNA Flat Screen TV. How to hook it up to wireless network??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2010 9:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada

DLNA Flat Screen TV. How to hook it up to wireless network??

I got a 55" TV today and it's DLNA certified. From what I know, it means this TV can show the stuff I have on my TV,such as movies(netflix?).
Anyways, there are no phone jacks around to hook it up to a modem or internet in anyway other than Wifi. How would I do that? Is there a hardware I have to purchase and hook it up to the standard Ethernet jack on the TV itself?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
what kind of TV is it?

I have a Sony EX700 and they are selling a wifi adapter for it (connects to the TV's USB port) but for $50 bucks so I just used an old router connected to the ethernet port with the router acting as a wireless bridge (linksys wrt54gl with ddwrt mini) to connect to my bell router.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
some guy there said wireless signal is not fast enough to stream HD 720/1080 content. Is it true??
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Ideally, you want to use the wired Ethernet.

The USB/WiFi dongle, if available for the 55G300U, will have to be purchased from Toshiba. So, besides the potential speed isssue, you are paying a premium for the dongle.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
shiat...I guess I'd have to get a cheap laptop and use a usb dongle to transfer movies from my main pc to laptop,which will be hooked up to the TV. so unfortunate. Wish there was a wired lan,but there's no way at this point.