Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario

Wireless Etc kiosk @ Costco...

I know I could spend time and check out the kiosk at my local Costco, but it always seems to be so busy, and not a lot of information posted.. But what is the deal with it? Is it basically the same plans you would get direct from the major companies directly but better deals on the handsets? I have read a few people getting really good prices (and costco cash cards back) for purchases. I'm not quite ready to get new phones for us, but will be in the near future, just wondering if it is generally a good spot to make the purchase?
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1878 posts
424 upvotes
Good question. I look forward to reading the answers. I'll probably be picking up a new phone and plan in October.

The kiosk at my local Costco is rarely busy but the guys that usually staff it appear to be complete douchebags and are always carrying on conversations amongst themselves and don't seem very interested in providing assistance to people. I recall seeing one of the guys turn away and roll his eyes when an older woman came up to ask questions one time (the other guy was closer and had to help.) Basically, as a result of that I've never considered talking to those guys.

It would be great if Costco Canada had more services to provide. Teaming up with a cell phone carrier to provide exclusive rates would be pretty cool.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
I've talked to them a couple of times. They usually include Costco gift certificates, and free accessories with most purchases.

The pricing on the hardware seems to be better than elsewhere.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
http://glentel.com/about-glentel/

They're owned by GlenTel, the same company that owns/operates Wireless Wave and TBooth stores. They operate much the same as Wireless Wave and TBooth, except that they have exclusive offers to Costco members (deeper discounts, cash cards back on new activations) that aren't offered to the general public through their WW and TB stores.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Thanks guys...

Sounds good for hardware then, will the plans they offer be on par with what you would see advertised on the carriers websites and available in stores?
Dec 16, 2004
860 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
Can you and is there any advantage to doing HUPs through them? Corporate HUPs ok?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1593 upvotes
I used to work there... you do get a slightly better deal on a new activation. Plans are the same as everywhere else, it's the price of the handset that is priced less then elsewhere.

People wise.... every type of retails is the same... you'll get jerk people and you'll get nice people.

HUP is the same everywhere because you pay for the price of the handset on your bill. However, you do get cash card on upgrade for Rogers and Fido because the HUP is charged on your bill.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB since 2018
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
CrazyJo82 wrote: I used to work there... you do get a slightly better deal on a new activation. Plans are the same as everywhere else, it's the price of the handset that is priced less then elsewhere.

People wise.... every type of retails is the same... you'll get jerk people and you'll get nice people.

HUP is the same everywhere because you pay for the price of the handset on your bill. However, you do get cash card on upgrade for Rogers and Fido because the HUP is charged on your bill.
Cash Card bonuses are offered with new activations only. They will/can do a HUP for you, but no Cash Card bonus (at least that's what I was told).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1593 upvotes
peroxide8888 wrote: Cash Card bonuses are offered with new activations only. They will/can do a HUP for you, but no Cash Card bonus (at least that's what I was told).

No, on Rogers and Fido upgrade you will get a $25 cash card becuse Costco will charge you $19.99 for the HUP. So, if you upgrade, you pay $19.99 + tax - $25Cash card.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB since 2018