• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2010 5:20 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2006
354 posts
13 upvotes

2.5" external drives which work with usb port of dvd/bluray players

I am going to buy a 2.5" usb hd and need one which can be connected to my dvd player's usb port. I tried my friends wd passport 500gb but the player's usb port doesn't supply enough power to get the hd to spin up. is this a problem with all 2.5" drives?

i know there are solutions such as this but its too much effort for something i would only be doing occasionally.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
fattest wrote: I am going to buy a 2.5" usb hd and need one which can be connected to my dvd player's usb port. I tried my friends wd passport 500gb but the player's usb port doesn't supply enough power to get the hd to spin up. is this a problem with all 2.5" drives?

i know there are solutions such as this but its too much effort for something i would only be doing occasionally.
DVD players don't supply enough power for 2.5" external drive to run. You would need a 3.5" desktop external drive to work with the players. 3.5" external drive use its own power supply to spin the needle. New media players like WDTV Live, Patriot Box Office, ASUS can use 2.5" external but they are not DVD / bluray players. I believe PS3 can run a 2.5" external drive, correct if I am wrong. OP, what model is your DVD/bluray player?
Dec 18, 2006
354 posts
13 upvotes
dvd player, philips DVP3560. i found a review of a segate 2.5" drive which worked off a dvd player's usb port, so i'm not sure if this is a limitation of my dvd player or the usb drive or something else.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34367

i was actually going to get a 2.5" sata drive since i have a spare enclosure, i guess that would have the same problem?
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
fattest wrote: dvd player, philips DVP3560. i found a review of a segate 2.5" drive which worked off a dvd player's usb port, so i'm not sure if this is a limitation of my dvd player or the usb drive or something else.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34367

i was actually going to get a 2.5" sata drive since i have a spare enclosure, i guess that would have the same problem?
I have Philips DVP5982 and my friends have Philips DVP5990, Pioneer DVD players that can play avi movies via USB ports. Those DVD players can't play from 2.5" external drive. I don't know how old is your player but I know dvd players don't give enough power for those drives. I use my Philips DVP5982 with 3.5" external from Lacie. I even tried 1.8" external but doesn't play.
Dec 18, 2006
354 posts
13 upvotes
although it would be going to greater lengths than i intended, would using a "Y" cable with one prong going to the dvd player and the other going to a usb charger work?
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
fattest wrote: although it would be going to greater lengths than i intended, would using a "Y" cable with one prong going to the dvd player and the other going to a usb charger work?
still from 1 usb port. It won't work.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> still from 1 usb port. It won't work.

It is not from one USB port. The HDD will also be getting power from the USB charger/adaptor, hence the Y-cable.

Yes, it will work, if the USB charger has a high enough output. I recommend a 1000mA one, especially if you're getting it from places like Deal Extreme, where what is rated may not be what is reality :) .
Dec 18, 2006
354 posts
13 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Yes, it will work, if the USB charger has a high enough output. I recommend a 1000mA one, especially if you're getting it from places like Deal Extreme, where what is rated may not be what is reality :) .
Thanks. I have a 5.1V/700mA adapter which came with my old cell phone, I've used it for charging other USB devices without problems.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)