31 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2321 posts
393 upvotes
North York
Soorma wrote: My question is regarding HBC return policy:
http://www.thebay.com/ReturnPolicy.aspx?language=en-US

I bought an item and after 2 weeks I find I cannot afford it. I used the clothing item once. I have receipt and everything EXCEPT
the tickets (price tags) on item. Can I still get back a full refund?
I say urgent cause I need to settle this fast... and will they ask how come I never came back sooner? Your help is appreciated.

I'm sure clothing can't be returned once worn (especially with the tags removed). Now, I know people who just used the clothing without even removing the tag (LOL) and some people who I have read in the past went back to the store and "take" other items tag and put that items tag to the item that is going to be returned to make it appear "new". I have personally never done these ... but they're definitely shady and on the borderline on cheating

There is no honest way to return this product if you care about personal integrity.
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
27 upvotes
Soorma wrote: But if I come out with the truth which I would like to do, they won't accept right? I had bought the shirt for ONE job interview... so spending so much was a bad idea and I regret it.
Do you think they will consider this? I really hope so.

They won't accept it. You wore it, you can't return it. *Maybe* a store credit if you're lucky. Money back? Nah.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
my advice: enjoy your shirt
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
Soorma wrote: I bought an item and after 2 weeks I find I cannot afford it.
How do you decide after two weeks that you can't afford an item of clothing? Most shoppers come to that conclusion when they're counting out the money from their wallet.
I used the clothing item once.
Ah...so you bought it for that special event and you've decided you can't wear it out again, 'cos people will see. Thank goodness for The Bay's free clothing rental service, right?
I have receipt and everything EXCEPT the tickets (price tags) on item. Can I still get back a full refund?
Nope.
I say urgent cause I need to settle this fast... and will they ask how come I never came back sooner? Your help is appreciated.
You bought a nice shirt. Wear it at your new job. On that note, how would you feel if you got hired on a 'trial basis' by your new employer and after a couple of weeks they decided they couldn't afford you and sent you packing without paying you?

Oh...you wouldn't like that?

Then why do you think it's okay for you to 'rent' a shirt from a retailer and then return it for a full refund?

It's people like you who have caused many retailers - The Bay included - to rewrite their return policies. Return policies which compared to other parts of the world are (or at least WERE) extremely generous and flexible.

It was your decision to spend so much money on a shirt, and it is clearly outside of The Bay's return policy.
I will have to figure something out. I will say that I bought but found cheaper item somewhere else I can afford.

Doesn't make a difference. You wore the shirt. The Bay's Price Adjustment Policy reads "Price adjustments will be made with a receipt, within 7 days of purchase." Looks like you're SOL using that lie at the Customer Service desk, too.

Like I've already written, you've bought yourself a nice shirt. Too expensive for your budget? Welcome to the big boys' sandpit, where we all have to watch how much we spend.

Good luck with your job hunt.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3075 posts
7283 upvotes

I bought an item and after 2 weeks I find I cannot afford it. I used the clothing item once. I have receipt and everything EXCEPT

I suggest you to ignore the "suggestions" on this thread (i.e. attempt to return the item with a different tag) - you might get away with it but if you get caught, you can be charged with acting under false pretense, fraud or at a minimum, mischief. I'd think your future worth more than any shirt you can buy at The Bay.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
Soorma wrote: But if I come out with the truth which I would like to do, they won't accept right? I had bought the shirt for ONE job interview... so spending so much was a bad idea and I regret it.
Do you think they will consider this? I really hope so.
It's called accepting the consequences. You have to learn how to do that when you're in the real world.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
Soorma wrote: I had bought the shirt for ONE job interview...

If you bought it for ONE job interview, then I'm assuming you're pretty confident you'll get the job, in which case you'll soon be able to afford this overpriced shirt, so no problems.

And in the off chance you don't get the job, well then I guess you'll still be needing the shirt after all!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
Insider wrote: my advice: enjoy your shirt

This is solid advice
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
1418 posts
1797 upvotes
Soorma wrote: Unno if I got the job. All I know is money doesn't grow on trees that's why I'm on this forum :lol: .
I will have to figure something out. I will say that I bought but found cheaper item somewhere else I can afford.
Any advice still appreciated..

You have got to be kidding me..

At least you know money doesn't grow on trees. Therefore, you should have not bought the shirt from The Bay in the first place if you knew you couldn't afford it. You should have shopped around or better yet- go to Winners, patiently search for one that fits you with an affordable price tag attached to it.

Don't buy things you can not afford.

Seriously, bite the bullet and make use of that shirt. You've torn the tag and worn it already for crying out loud.
"Women are like teabags; you don't know how strong they are until you put them in hot water." :cheesygri
Nov 4, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
If you used it for the ONE job interview and did not get the job, well use it on the SECOND and THIRD job interviews too....unless it was the shirt that caused you not to get the job.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2704 posts
1593 upvotes
Toronto
You labeled this "urgent"??? I hope you are kidding.

I suggest you ask your employer that you had an interview with about their perspective on this conundrum you are facing.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
87 upvotes

It took you two weeks to figure out you can't afford a piece of clothing?

Did you have to finance it or something? :facepalm:
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1837 posts
598 upvotes
Guelph
Wow...

I could say so much, but I will refrain..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
How much was this shirt anyway?

You're gonna have to eat the cost, brah. If you were smart you'd at least have SAVED the tags (I always save mine for at least a week or two, just in case, and staple them to the receipts but I'm a little OCD that way), even if you took them off. At least you could've said that you tried it on when you got home and it didn't fit (or that it was a gift and it didn't fit), but that's not possible now. Enjoy your shirt.

And LOL @ 'urgent'. What, is the shirt melting? Your dealer after you?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
This site is about saving money, not about scamming and stealing. No you can't return the item. People doing this, is a reason why many stores have tightened up their return policies. The Bay or any other retailer is not a rental service. You bought it, you wore it, you own it. Next time, don't buy something you can't afford.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Awww Soorma is so cute!
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jun 6, 2008
306 posts
31 upvotes
You guys are so cruel :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4423 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
so did you end up getting the job at mcdonalds?