• Oct 22nd, 2010 10:21 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1453 posts
295 upvotes

NVIDIA Drops Prices of GTX 460 1GB and GTX 470

Looks like NVIDIA is trying to dampen the ATI 6800 series launch before it has even started!
Awesome new prices on the GTX 460 1GB, NCIX and Newegg have already dropped prices on them :)

[QUOTE]On the eve of the HD 6800-series launch, the GPU battle is heating up to a feverish level with claims, counter claims and price drops.

Over the last 24 hours we have seen claims of everything from underhanded marketing practices to phantom benchmarks coming out of the NVIDIA and AMD camps. This may be a good time to be a consumer but it’s more than obvious the PR and marketing teams on both sides of the GPU fence are working overtime. [/QUOTE]

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/vid ... -responds/
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
isn;t going to dampen much other then nvidia's already dwindeling profits & the only way it gives them a advantage is if when the part reviews come out the nvidia ones somehow beat them. Only good for those whom support the nvidia camp.

BUT with word of there already going to be oc'ed/special edition versions out within a week or 2 after the initial launch & the 6850's already being custom moded configurations in pcb & otherwise by the AIB's the chance of thats even more so next to impossible.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
It's hard to decide which video card maker to pick.

I am not a fanboy of either and I've used cards from both companies.

ATI is good and all, but let's face it, their drivers and software are terrible. I picked up a 5770 Flex recently and I wanted to play around with EyeFinity. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to enable it. I ended up having to watch a YouTube video just to figure out how to enable EyeFinity. :confused:

I have a friend working at AMD in Markham, where the drivers and software are written, and even he admits it's utter garbage.

And on the other hand, nVidia isn't doing so hot with their current 4xx line of cards. I've heard of many problems with overheating and failure rates on the 460s. Not to mention BFG (one of the better nvidia suppliers) going under because of supply issues from nvidia.

So what is a builder to do? Both have their fair share of issues.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
Yeah I have a 5770 as well, and the drivers are garbage. I routinely expect to have my computer crash once every month or two because the driver doesn't initiate properly. Makes me want to get an nVidia again, but I've heard plenty of issues there too.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
eyefinity hard to configure ??? news to me ... plug in display, go to ccc, configure them, done.

I'd rather have ati drivers/software over nvidia & same hardwarewise. Either way both companies have had there good n bad moments hardware & softwarewise.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Banned
Jun 19, 2010
791 posts
139 upvotes
OnTheRFDPlace
Wish these had dropped sooner, I wouldn't have bought this god awful useless 5850.

The drives for the 5850 blow. Period. I am running the latest, and now my hotkeys for overclocking don't work. The previous ATI CCC had hotkeys where I could disable and re-enable overclocks by hotkeying two separate profiles. Not so anymore.

To top it off, the main game I am playing on this card is StarCraft II. Even though it runs beautifully in ladder games and 4v4s, there are some custom maps where the map zooms in a lot for like a 3rd person shooter feel, and the damn card stutters on it when the game is running on max!

This is freaking unacceptable for a $300+ card.

Its a good thing that NVIDIA is lowering the prices, at least now people can wisen up and buy the cheaper but properly working NVIDIA 460 cards rather than aim for the "powerful" ATI cards and be disappointed a few months later.
Hurley, Hurley Bernard!
!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
hurley_bernard wrote: Wish these had dropped sooner, I wouldn't have bought this god awful useless 5850.

The drives for the 5850 blow. Period. I am running the latest, and now my hotkeys for overclocking don't work. The previous ATI CCC had hotkeys where I could disable and re-enable overclocks by hotkeying two separate profiles. Not so anymore.

To top it off, the main game I am playing on this card is StarCraft II. Even though it runs beautifully in ladder games and 4v4s, there are some custom maps where the map zooms in a lot for like a 3rd person shooter feel, and the damn card stutters on it when the game is running on max!

Its a good thing that NVIDIA is lowering the prices, at least now people can wisen up and buy the cheaper but properly working NVIDIA 460 cards rather than aim for the "powerful" ATI cards and be disappointed a few months later.

oh, YOU again the troll of the forum ... ha ha ha ha ha remind me to laugh at you when you start repeating the same thing with your suposivly "proper working" nvidia cards ... :lol:

BTW if your so QQin about it WHY ya still got it then ... HUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ? :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3746 posts
244 upvotes
Nice. I'm going to get another GTX 470 and SLI.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
to further coment on the 5770 remarks, I did hear there where some issues with them, but never seen anything major anyone else whom's bought them has been very happy with them.

I'm definatly curious to read the reviews after midnight on how the now price reduced 460 768 & 1 gig-er's do against the 2 new 6800 series cards.

Also curious if this "price drop" is occuring on the oc'ed/modified retail cards as well or only stock ones.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
awestruck wrote: Nice. I'm going to get another GTX 470 and SLI.

yes that will be a advantage to you if thats what you desire.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
AMD/ATi's video drivers are okay. Their Catalyst Control Center is the weak link.

I think if you want Eyefinity you are stuck with CCC. (Their basic/advanced console is STUPID, poorly designed.)

Now, for those overclocking and/or altering the fan (%) profile (for noise) MSI's Afterburner is the baby to use. (Take CCC out of the startup).

If MSI started charging $25 for Afterburner, I'd happily pay - it is that good. (I thank the RFDer whom recommended it after I complained about eariler ver. of CCC killing my computer on start-up.)
Banned
Jun 19, 2010
791 posts
139 upvotes
OnTheRFDPlace
terrybear wrote: oh, YOU again the troll of the forum ... ha ha ha ha ha remind me to laugh at you when you start repeating the same thing with your suposivly "proper working" nvidia cards ... :lol:

BTW if your so QQin about it WHY ya still got it then ... HUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ? :lol:
terrybear wrote: to further coment on the 5770 remarks, I did hear there where some issues with them, but never seen anything major anyone else whom's bought them has been very happy with them.

I'm definatly curious to read the reviews after midnight on how the now price reduced 460 768 & 1 gig-er's do against the 2 new 6800 series cards.

Also curious if this "price drop" is occuring on the oc'ed/modified retail cards as well or only stock ones.

[IMG]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2193/trollin.jpg[/IMG]
No point in replying to this garbage, picture speaks for itself.
Busybuyer888 wrote: AMD/ATi's Catalyst Control Center is the weak link.

+1
Hurley, Hurley Bernard!
!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Seems funny to me I just got a 5850 and sc2 as well and have none of that happening in sc2. What's the rest of your specs
hurley_bernard wrote: Wish these had dropped sooner, I wouldn't have bought this god awful useless 5850.

Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1892 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Yay competition.

@ Hurley, I haven't really noticed the card stuttering outside of a massive battle of 300+ units on each side in a custom map, but I mostly stick to ladder/melee games.
Banned
Jun 19, 2010
791 posts
139 upvotes
OnTheRFDPlace
XtremeModder wrote: Seems funny to me I just got a 5850 and sc2 as well and have none of that happening in sc2. What's the rest of your specs

my comp's top of the line, it doesn't lag even in fully 1000+ units games in sc2.

just a few particular custom maps where there's lots of flashy effects going on, and the developer has forced some ridiculous zoom angle to give it a third person shooter feel. The details are so close that on max settings it stutters and skips frames :(

Comp's corei7, 6gb ram 1600mhz ram, etc etc..

It's not a big deal as its only happening on 2 maps, but for a $300 card i wasn't expecting this type of performance degradation in a game like sc2!
Hurley, Hurley Bernard!
!
Banned
Jun 19, 2010
791 posts
139 upvotes
OnTheRFDPlace
DJ Dennis wrote: Yay competition.

@ Hurley, I haven't really noticed the card stuttering outside of a massive battle of 300+ units on each side in a custom map, but I mostly stick to ladder/melee games.

see response above
Hurley, Hurley Bernard!
!