2GB DDR2 Ram
nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (256 MB)
nVIDIA MCP04 Audio Adapter
Dual layer DVD reader and writer
200GB C:
320GB H:
500GB Z:
2x500GB Externals

I just reformatted my computer due to infection and clutter, I have now finally updated every driver and program I can think of but am noticing that I have trouble watching any kind of online stream, whether it is preloaded or live, at any decent quality/bitrate.

For example:

on youtube I can only watch up to 320p quality, anything higher is choppy
on NHL Gamecenter Live I can only watch 400kbps bitrate, anything higher is choppy

I have watched both on my school's low end computers and been able to have smooth video up to double/triple the quality.

When I watch anything from my HDD, even my 720p movies, I have completely smooth video.

I tested my internet speed and am at 10.23mbps (paying for 10)

Where could my problem be? whether it be settings or hardware restrictions?

I will be looking for my best option under$50 for a new graphics card that has HDMI out, and decent gaming capacity. I am hoping that is a cure but I may be lacking elsewhere
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
try updating flash to 10.1 if you haven't already
when in youtube, right click on video then click "settings", enable or disable hardware acceleration and see if performance changes

if nothing changes, it might be something else, try increasing the storage used of the flash video (its also one of the options when your right click on it) on the site you frequently watch online videos from
Nov 26, 2009
646 posts
32 upvotes
crowTrobot wrote: try updating flash to 10.1 if you haven't already
when in youtube, right click on video then click "settings", enable or disable hardware acceleration and see if performance changes

if nothing changes, it might be something else, try increasing the storage used of the flash video (its also one of the options when your right click on it) on the site you frequently watch online videos from

I tested with the hardware acc., and storage (left at unlimited). and my flash and all players are up to date.

I'm just confused due to the offline vs online video difference...
Nov 26, 2009
646 posts
32 upvotes
hooked up a new HD 4850, hoping that it would be the answer with flash 10. still getting choppy online videos

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)