Costco not accepting Huggies coupons

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2010 3:03 pm
Jan 27, 2010
101 posts
8 upvotes

Costco not accepting Huggies coupons

Hello

I was at Costco yesterday to get the Huggies brand wipes which went on offer this week for 14.99 as opposed to their regular price of 18.99. I also had a $1.00 off coupon from Huggies which I gave to the cashier but he refused to accept it stating that they do not accept these coupons since they are a warehouse and their pricing policies are different

He also got his supervisor involved when I pursued the matter a bit but the outcome was the same. Any one having similar experiences of costco not accepting the Huggies coupons?

Thanks
21 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5530 upvotes
Vaughan
Costco is one of the few who doesn't take coupons. Costco is not a regular store like Walmart, Zellers, etc. Costco is a wholesaler.
Jan 18, 2009
356 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Not only Huggies. Costco does not accept any coupons except their own. It is not a retailer but wholesale store for members only.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
This is not new. Costco has never accepted coupons in the 20+ years I've been going there. Like others said retail vs wholesale.
Jul 24, 2008
765 posts
27 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Costco is one of the few who doesn't take coupons. Costco is not a regular store like Walmart, Zellers, etc. Costco is a wholesaler.

Costco is NOT a wholesaler. They are just another retail store in a "warehouse" building - all marketing... I've noticed some of their prices even higher than other places.
Goodcat wrote: Not only Huggies. Costco does not accept any coupons except their own. It is not a retailer but wholesale store for members only.

Costco does not have coupons -> again, marketing. It's just a plain "sale"... you can just purchase them without coupons and still get the discount.

Costco sales? lol. I've seen price hikes considered to be "sales", and ppl just buy tons anyways cuz it's "costco" and "cheap" :o
Feb 14, 2009
82 posts
1 upvote
Costco is an exclusive 'club' sort of place, that already has discounted prices.. so there's not much point trying to get more off of them
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
quickinferno wrote: Costco is NOT a wholesaler. They are just another retail store in a "warehouse" building - all marketing... I've noticed some of their prices even higher than other places.

Costco does not have coupons -> again, marketing. It's just a plain "sale"... you can just purchase them without coupons and still get the discount.

Costco sales? lol. I've seen price hikes considered to be "sales", and ppl just buy tons anyways cuz it's "costco" and "cheap" :o

+1, so true. If you don't know your prices you'll be retailed alright.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
Plain and simple - Costco does not accept manufacturers coupons. It has nothing to do with the fact they are a wholesaler or "different" from other retailers, they simply don't accept them.

Costco has better everyday prices than all other stores. When Grocery stores have deep discounts on products, they will probably be better than Costco's. Case in point - I have seen $5 24's of name brand pop at grocery stores, but never that low at Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3067 upvotes
Winnipeg
dutchca wrote: Costco has better everyday prices than all other stores. When Grocery stores have deep discounts on products, they will probably be better than Costco's. Case in point - I have seen $5 24's of name brand pop at grocery stores, but never that low at Costco.

And you wouldn't. Difference is the pop you buy at a grocery store can not be sold individually.

However, the Costco packages can be 'broken' and sold individually at your own store. They are a wholesaler on many items, despite what some people believe.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
Add to the point.

Costco's coupons are not Costco putting it on sale. Its Manufacturer Instant Rebates. Hence why its always applied to after tax. It's the companies working out a deal with Costco to put it on sale.

Costco Clearances are awesome though. Always watching for those XX.97 price tags ;)
Feb 9, 2010
14 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Ya costco is just a retailer marketed as a wholesaler. Just because they sell some items in a large pack or case it doesn't mean it is priced wholesale. Often times, wholesale pricing is 50% of retail. Marketing is key here.

And also costco never took coupons ever. No biggie. Just use it elsewhere.
Hi! :-0
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
quickinferno wrote: Costco is NOT a wholesaler. They are just another retail store in a "warehouse" building - all marketing... I've noticed some of their prices even higher than other places.

Their prices might be higher than some sale prices but that doesn't mean they are not a wholesaler. Based on your post, i guess you don't fully understand what a wholesaler vs retailer is. Wholesaler just means selling directly to businesses. If you run a business, there's no way you can wait for every item to go on sale or else you will have no inventory. So in the long run, if a business buys from Costco, their pricing is cheaper. Not to mention Costco does not have smaller packaging of most items. I.e. gums, candy, etc are in bulks and often bought by businesses to resell.

Costco from my knowledge never accepts outside source coupons and often time if you try to claim the coupon yourself when buying from Costco, you will actually get rejected because Costco is an exception. Rebates offered by the manufacturer are generally valid for retailers not wholesale. Heck you even see some rebates (mainly electronics) that say EXCEPT Costco. Main reason for this is because Costco carries their own warranty on them and thus get it cheaper but this again shows Costco is different than your average retailer.

Costco is another source of sales and if you find clearance items @ Costco, they are way cheaper than elsewhere. Costco carries a lot of seasonal items and as such have clearances on them every so often. For example i got a recliner recently that was regularly priced @ 499.99 (900 for similar one @ Sears) for 99.97 at stage 3 of their clearance (299.97, 199.97, 99.97), i actually bought @ the 199.97 and got an adjustment. Past clearances include stuff like Sanyo Eneloop (the pack that Dell has on sale right now @ 16.99 + 2 more AAA for 12.99, basically 8AA + 8AAA + charger), various games (Brutal Legend for ~$10 last year), beds, frames, glutters, etc. Don't remember all the prices.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
incanada wrote: Hello

I was at Costco yesterday to get the Huggies brand wipes which went on offer this week for 14.99 as opposed to their regular price of 18.99. I also had a $1.00 off coupon from Huggies which I gave to the cashier but he refused to accept it stating that they do not accept these coupons since they are a warehouse and their pricing policies are different

He also got his supervisor involved when I pursued the matter a bit but the outcome was the same. Any one having similar experiences of costco not accepting the Huggies coupons?

Thanks

You pursued the matter for 1.00?

A true RFD'er ... I guess. :)

I guess by now you've learned that Costco does not accept coupons.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
miss_swan wrote: You pursued the matter for 1.00?

A true RFD'er ... I guess. :)

I guess by now you've learned that Costco does not accept coupons.

A true RFDer knows Costco doesn't accept coupons :p
Jul 24, 2008
765 posts
27 upvotes
GVRtrader wrote: Their prices might be higher than some sale prices but that doesn't mean they are not a wholesaler. Based on your post, i guess you don't fully understand what a wholesaler vs retailer is. Wholesaler just means selling directly to businesses. If you run a business, there's no way you can wait for every item to go on sale or else you will have no inventory. So in the long run, if a business buys from Costco, their pricing is cheaper. Not to mention Costco does not have smaller packaging of most items. I.e. gums, candy, etc are in bulks and often bought by businesses to resell.

Costco from my knowledge never accepts outside source coupons and often time if you try to claim the coupon yourself when buying from Costco, you will actually get rejected because Costco is an exception. Rebates offered by the manufacturer are generally valid for retailers not wholesale. Heck you even see some rebates (mainly electronics) that say EXCEPT Costco. Main reason for this is because Costco carries their own warranty on them and thus get it cheaper but this again shows Costco is different than your average retailer.

Costco is another source of sales and if you find clearance items @ Costco, they are way cheaper than elsewhere. Costco carries a lot of seasonal items and as such have clearances on them every so often. For example i got a recliner recently that was regularly priced @ 499.99 (900 for similar one @ Sears) for 99.97 at stage 3 of their clearance (299.97, 199.97, 99.97), i actually bought @ the 199.97 and got an adjustment. Past clearances include stuff like Sanyo Eneloop (the pack that Dell has on sale right now @ 16.99 + 2 more AAA for 12.99, basically 8AA + 8AAA + charger), various games (Brutal Legend for ~$10 last year), beds, frames, glutters, etc. Don't remember all the prices.

I'm a consumer. They are selling to me.

I've bought a big back of gum before, it was definitely not cheaper than regular price at walmart. The other poster has a point though, the individual packs in a "big pack" at walmart probably cannot be re-sold individually, whereas the "big packs" from costco can.

But I seriously doubt the "mom and pop" shops are actually considering that only costco's "big packs" can be broken down to be sold separately... so I just laugh at anyone who rolls out a cart full of... pop or gum... because it's really actually more expensive than routine sales elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
quickinferno wrote: I'm a consumer. They are selling to me.

I've bought a big back of gum before, it was definitely not cheaper than regular price at walmart. The other poster has a point though, the individual packs in a "big pack" at walmart probably cannot be re-sold individually, whereas the "big packs" from costco can.

But I seriously doubt the "mom and pop" shops are actually considering that only costco's "big packs" can be broken down to be sold separately... so I just laugh at anyone who rolls out a cart full of... pop or gum... because it's really actually more expensive than routine sales elsewhere.

Last time I bought a 12 pack of "5" gum for $9.84 on sale. Good luck finding that gum even at walmart for under a buck a pack.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
boyoflondon wrote: Last time I bought a 12 pack of "5" gum for $9.84 on sale. Good luck finding that gum even at walmart for under a buck a pack.

I have to agree with this, I buy my gum at Costco specifically because the bulk purchase for gum is a far better deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
I never get sucked into the BUY BULK it's cheaper mentality. I have my trusty iphone with me, and I break down the price into a per unit cost and then compare!!! If i'm buying diaper, i compare the cost/diaper to other retailers etc. Oh and by definition COSTCO is NOT a wholesaler, just because businesses sometimes go there.

:wholesaler
A noun
1 jobber, middleman, wholesaler
someone who buys large quantities of goods and resells to merchants rather than to the ultimate customers

A true wholesaler wouldn't even sell to you unless you had a vendor number.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
They are a wholesaler in that they do sell to businesses. I used to go there for cigs when I worked at a Mom & Pop convenience store.

Of course, they're not just a wholesaler, which is the little wrinkle people get hung up on.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
caltran wrote: They are a wholesaler in that they do sell to businesses. I used to go there for cigs when I worked at a Mom & Pop convenience store.

Of course, they're not just a wholesaler, which is the little wrinkle people get hung up on.

So does No Frills/Loblaws/Zellers etc. When my uncle used to own a convenience store, he used to get cases of pop etc when it was on sale at No Frills etc, because it was cheaper than he could get from the 'wholesalers' themselves because he couldn't purchase the quantity required to obtain the discount.

When I went looking for vases for our centerpieces during our wedding preparations, we went to a wholesaler and they wouldn't sell it to us without a vendor number. That's a wholesaler. Costco is just a retailer being marketed as a wholesaler to obtain market share, and to fool people into believing they are ALWAYS getting items at wholesale prices (which of course they are not). In the long run are they cheaper?? Probably because you are purchasing items in bulk, but you can be much further ahead by using a mix of other grocery stores and walmart.