Shopping Discussion

Buyers be careful shopping on the internet !

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2010 11:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton

Buyers be careful shopping on the internet !

How many posts will continue to appear here that are examples of the following

"Too good to be true" - If it seems to be good to be true it probably is. Yes, there are scams on the internet (shock!). Some idiot has posted in Hot Deals today a deal on a site selling Rolex watches for around $500. I have no doubt somebody is going to "jump on that deal" and I just pray they won't be coming here for a ton of sympathy when their watch turns out to be a fake. Yes, you will find the occasional hot deal on RFD and elsewhere but when something is drastically discounted you really should be on your guard. If somebody stood by a van with its doors open selling 40" brand name LCD TVs for $150 each you would be suspicious - it's no different just because you are on the internet - you just don't get to see the dodgy van.

"I never read what I sign" - Contracts are there for a reason - most of it is to limit risk for the business which is taking your money. The terms and conditions on a website are just the same as a contract and often restrict your ability to return things and get a full refund of what you paid. That's because returns cost money and if you are shopping for the lowest price, the supplier has likely achieved it in part by minimising those costs through a tough refund policy.

"I'm entitled" - Businesses are there to make money. They are not charities and they have every right to correct a pricing error on their website and not give away whatever it might be for virtually nothing. No you won't get very far trying to sue them or whatever else you threaten to do when they refuse to honor a pricing error. They may be a big business but they employ people whose jobs rely on the company making a fair profit on what it sells.

I am sure others can add more, but this pretty much seems to be the essence of so many "watch out for this vendor" posts.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
just a lil over a decade late..

rolex for $500.. decisions decisions :lol:
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Buyers be careful wherever you shop. Don't buy something because it's on sale and assume that if you don't like it it can be returned. Make educated purchases not impulse purchases. Half the threads in this section could be avoided if people just took a few moments to think about what they are buying and why, instead of just buying because it's a "hot deal". It's not so hot when you decide you don't want it and now want to return it without a receipt and opened.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
guess the easiest way is everyone start taking more responsibility on themselves instead of blaming everyone around you
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)