• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2010 10:38 am
Tags:
None
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes

Which RBC type card should I get?

Hi I have a RBC visa card and currently have a classic II...it has a $35 annual fee and i get 1 reward point for every $1 I get. I looked at rbs rewards webpage and for example I can redeem a $50 future shop giftcard for every 6000 points( or $6000)...that averages out to about $8 every 1000. I was looking at their cash back card and it is 1% back so every $1000 i will get $10. Annual fee is $19. Am i missing something here or is the cash back card an obvious better choice and I should switch?...

ps. i dont travel much so im not looking for a travels rewards card

thanks!
13 replies
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: just switch to a no fee card, all rbc cards suck to be honest except the infinite if u can redeem the pts in the "right" way

no fee cards usually mean no points or cash back tho right?.... annual fee is $19 bucks for the cash back card and I can make $19 bucks if I spend $1900...I think ill be spending more than $1900 in a year?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
enter wrote: no fee cards usually mean no points or cash back tho right?.... annual fee is $19 bucks for the cash back card and I can make $19 bucks if I spend $1900...I think ill be spending more than $1900 in a year?

there are much better cards out there...do your research.
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: there are much better cards out there...do your research.

I know other cards are better but im already stuck with a RBC card since I know cancelling credit cards isnt good. so im just trying to make the best of a bad situation you know?
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes
oh and instead of making a new thread i might as well ask this question here...

Say when my statement comes I have $1000 balance in it, so I have to pay $20 for interest....If I paid off the $1000 the day before my statement do I pay $0 interest or is the interest accumulated for the 29 days prior paying it off?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
enter wrote: I know other cards are better but im already stuck with a RBC card since I know cancelling credit cards isnt good. so im just trying to make the best of a bad situation you know?

thats why i told u to just convert this one to a no-fee one and apply for others =p
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: thats why i told u to just convert this one to a no-fee one and apply for others =p

oh haha actually i get what u mean now!...thats not a bad idea then lol...but I should still need to be using my rbc card montly to keep it active right?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
enter wrote: oh haha actually i get what u mean now!...thats not a bad idea then lol...but I should still need to be using my rbc card montly to keep it active right?

yes, just buy maybe a chocolate bar on the card once every month...else yeah damn rbc might cancel it without u knowing.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
enter wrote: oh haha actually i get what u mean now!...thats not a bad idea then lol...but I should still need to be using my rbc card montly to keep it active right?

oh and sorry for my terrible english :razz:
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
enter wrote: ....Say when my statement comes I have $1000 balance in it, so I have to pay $20 for interest....If I paid off the $1000 the day before my statement do I pay $0 interest or is the interest accumulated for the 29 days prior paying it off?
You don't accumulate interest owed until after the DUE DATE...which is well AFTER the 'statement date'.

Enjoy,
angel_wing0 wrote: yes, just buy maybe a chocolate bar on the card once every month...else yeah damn rbc might cancel it without u knowing.
Quit spreading fear & paranoia :razz: . I've kept an inactive card for damn well over a year and a half and they never blinked an eye. Then I went and took them up on the 0% bt @ just <18K offer LOLz...
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
bubble.tea wrote: Quit spreading fear & paranoia :razz: . I've kept an inactive card for damn well over a year and a half and they never blinked an eye. Then I went and took them up on the 0% bt @ just <18K offer LOLz...

i m not spreading fear, it really did happen to me and quite a few ppl here. And you havent used yours for a year and a half. I havent used mine for 5 years! And before u say anything about the 5 years, i have a mbna cc that wasnt used for 5.5 years, nothing happened, wasnt cancelled and i was able to convert it to pr+ before converting that to sc.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
enter wrote: Hi I have a RBC visa card and currently have a classic II...it has a $35 annual fee and i get 1 reward point for every $1 I get. I looked at rbs rewards webpage and for example I can redeem a $50 future shop giftcard for every 6000 points( or $6000)...that averages out to about $8 every 1000. I was looking at their cash back card and it is 1% back so every $1000 i will get $10. Annual fee is $19. Am i missing something here or is the cash back card an obvious better choice and I should switch?...

ps. i dont travel much so im not looking for a travels rewards card

thanks!
Is RBC still waiving the $19 annual fee for the first year on the Cashback Visa? You might want to consider that.

They're giving 5% cashback on groceries until 31 Dec 2010. I was told by a CSR that they plan on running promo cashback rates on other purchase types once the 5% on groceries expires. He was quick to tell me that was 'off the record' but that was the plan. He said there might be a small gap between promos. Like, it might not be until February 2011 until they offer 5% back on gas, or on drugstore purchases, or restaurants, or whatever. They'll do that promo for a little while and then they change it again.

You can't beat the 5% on groceries. I buy my prescription drugs at the pharmacy counter in my grocery store and they count as grocery purchases too, so it's a fantastic deal for a guy like me.

Mine comes up for renewal in June, so if the guy fed me some bullcrap and they don't have any bonus cashback rates to replace the current bonus then I'll just change it back to the no-fee Gold card and use it as a backup...like I had before they offered the Cashback card.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Rbc rewards visa gold. 1pt for every $2 spent. No annual fee. Build up ur credit history and grab an MBNA SmartCash.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)