• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2010 12:10 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 27, 2010
11 posts
Toronto

Editable CRA pdf forms

1) Is it possible to download editable CRA pdf forms, such as Schedule 7, T1, T1 adjustment, etc.
2) can I send forms with hand writing?

Thanks
6 replies
Mar 17, 2006
268 posts
13 upvotes
guliver wrote: 1) Is it possible to download editable CRA pdf forms, such as Schedule 7, T1, T1 adjustment, etc.
2) can I send forms with hand writing?

Thanks

I don't think the CRA offers fillable PDF forms, but they will definitely accept hand-written forms. Alternatively, you can consider using one of the various personal tax preparation software titles out there as they are quite cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
80 upvotes
Sydney
The PDFs themselves are editable for the most part. You just need software that can save and create PDFs like Acrobat.
Feb 28, 2010
668 posts
340 upvotes
Flying over Canada
The CRA has a page listing their fillable PDF forms. It doesn't look like the tax return ones are included there, though, and the PDFs of those (elsewhere on their site) aren't fillable.

If the form isn't fillable I suppose you might use the paid version of Acrobat (not the free Adobe Reader) or something else to overlay text on the existing form, but I think it would be a kludge? Something like UFile.ca is under $20 and you can do it online, get a PDF of the return, end eFile it if you want.

Note that even for fillable forms, some of the ones from the Canadian government have permissions set that prevent you from saving a copy with your filled-in values, which can be a pain. Normally you need a paid Acrobat version to change these permissions. On Mac OSX, you can often work around this using Preview, and there are probably similar ways with Windows.

And I'm pretty sure the CRA hasn't outlawed handwriting quite yet... :)
Nov 13, 2007
881 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have any idea how many forms CRA receive per day? :lol:

If the form was created as a fillable PDF, chances are that CRA has some kind of automation to process/OCR them. If you fill in the form with hand-writing, your forms will end up in junk or exception basket. It will take much longer to handle (if not lost).

A fillable PDF is meant to be fillable. You only need a free copy of Adobe reader to fill them up before printing them. Usually, it comes with format scripting to make sure that you fill the form correctly. This type of form, normally doesn't allow you to save the info (auto reset) .... just to prevent you from sharing/forwarding your form to your friend and his form ends up with your info in it. It's not permission, it's the fillable-PDF industry standard.

If the form is not fillable, there is no need to buy software to fill them. It's a waste of your time.

Usually, there is a different version for the hand-written form, that will be handle by a different process. If you don't want to delay processing time, use the right form for the right process.

Fillable PDF is meant to be filled before printing.
Mar 17, 2006
268 posts
13 upvotes
superping wrote: If you fill in the form with hand-writing, your forms will end up in junk or exception basket. It will take much longer to handle (if not lost).

The first sentence in the quote is incorrect. Hand written forms are accepted by the CRA. In fact, many people still complete and file their income tax returns by hand. That being said, the poster is correct to state that hand written forms filed with the CRA will take longer to process.
Oct 27, 2010
11 posts
Toronto
This time I just need a schedule 7 fillable form. Is there a way to get it?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)