Computers & Electronics

Best time of the year to buy LCD or LED TV?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2013 11:37 am
Tags:
None
Dec 28, 2009
863 posts
36 upvotes

Best time of the year to buy LCD or LED TV?

Does any know what time of the year is the best time to buy an LCD or LED TV I'm looking to buy a either 55 or 60 LCD or LED TV? I don't mind order model from last year as long as I get it cheaper.
39 replies
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
bondjames wrote: Does any know what time of the year is the best time to buy an LCD or LED TV I'm looking to buy a either 55 or 60 LCD or LED TV? I don't mind order model from last year as long as I get it cheaper.

I would guess between now and boxing day. From what I have heard there was overproduction recently and manufacturers are dumping stock. TVs are cheap right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
i just bought now and will use costco's 90 day price guarantee

FS is guaranteeing prices until jan 2 right now too
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
When you need it. They only get better and cheaper.
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
poorwingman wrote: i just bought now and will use costco's 90 day price guarantee

FS is guaranteeing prices until jan 2 right now too

Just bought an LG 47" ld450 tonight from Costco. All the ones I saw had IPS panels and I confirmed mine was with a macro shot using my digicam. Great deal for $678.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
I heard that thing about oversupply too. My question is: does this mean the best time to buy will be around US Black Friday, or will Boxing Day still have the same low prices?
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/ysho ... ay-season/
(Note that this applies to LCDs and not LEDs.)

I was hoping to get a 40" LCD for $400-450, but I think that might be a tad optimistic.
poorwingman wrote: FS is guaranteeing prices until jan 2 right now too
The fine print says they will only refund the difference if the price drops within 30 days of purchase. (At least that means there's no need to panic about getting items in stock on Boxing Day - you can go out and buy on Nov 26 if you are so inclined.)
Jan 13, 2006
682 posts
8 upvotes
bondjames wrote: Does any know what time of the year is the best time to buy an LCD or LED TV I'm looking to buy a either 55 or 60 LCD or LED TV? I don't mind order model from last year as long as I get it cheaper.

End of the year.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
If you want something cheaper, obviously you should go with LCD.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
bondjames wrote: Which one should I get LCD or LED?
Just to clear some confusion that your post may induce: LED TVs are also LCD TVs
Dec 28, 2009
863 posts
36 upvotes
If the price is close I would like to get the better one at this time I don't know what the difference between LCD and LED?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
bondjames wrote: If the price is close I would like to get the better one at this time I don't know what the difference between LCD and LED?
Get the TV that has the better looking picture quality - to you. You are the one enjoying the TV.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
arm2000 wrote: Just to clear some confusion that your post may induce: LED TVs are also LCD TVs
You are considerably misinformed, sir. LED TVs are the same as LCD TVs in the same sense that Plasma TVs are LCD TVs, which is to say not at all.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
Jorpho wrote: You are considerably misinformed, sir. LED TVs are the same as LCD TVs in the same sense that Plasma TVs are LCD TVs, which is to say not at all.
Oh, it seems that there is indeed confusion about this one. OK, no problem, for starters go to :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_television
I think you probably were thinking at OLED TV but that is still very rare to talk about now.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10599 posts
4850 upvotes
Burnaby
Jorpho wrote: You are considerably misinformed, sir. LED TVs are the same as LCD TVs in the same sense that Plasma TVs are LCD TVs, which is to say not at all.

I think you are misinformed.

Current LCDs are LCD panels using a CCFL backlight.
What is sold today as an LED is a LCD panel using a LED backlight
Plasma TVs are in fact far different, but a CCFL-LCD and a LED-LCD are quite similar

True LED panels are not available in the market at competitive prices. LG 15 inch (not a typo) OLED TV for $3100 USD on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/LG-15EL9500-15-OLED ... 4aa5b136cb
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
448 upvotes
Help me
January, after the Boxing day "fake" sales.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
Fair enough, but to say that "LED TVs are also LCD TVs" is a bit of an oversimplification that does not apply to all contexts. No retailer will tell a customer looking for an LED TV that all their TVs are LCD TVs.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: iFS is guaranteeing prices until jan 2 right now too
Jorpho wrote: The fine print says they will only refund the difference if the price drops within 30 days of purchase. (At least that means there's no need to panic about getting items in stock on Boxing Day - you can go out and buy on Nov 26 if you are so inclined.)

30 days is the usual standard, but for christmas shopping they typically extend it to Jan 2 so that people don't go in on Dec 26 asking for a price match if they bought something on nov 26.

a sales guy on saturday mentioned that they've started doing it this year already. he also mentioned that they'll match prices but not on door crashers.
May 31, 2008
149 posts
57 upvotes
I might wait till after CES in January, where all the manufacturers announce their new TVs for 2011. If nothing there interests you, then pick up one of this year's models for cheap.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)