Computers & Electronics

Looking for device that can run XP but NOT look like a laptop!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2010 3:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary

Looking for device that can run XP but NOT look like a laptop!

Here's the thing... I'm looking for a device I can play music on at work (besides by buzzing workstation.) Our company has a strict paranoia policy that they don't allow outside laptops at our stations. However, they have no objection to iPods, smartphones and the like. Why so specific? The files I'm playing are 30 years old and tiny in size. I also have about 50,000 of them, so converting them to MP3's is NOT an option!

What I'm hoping for is some sort of device that might look like a smartphone or iPod/iPad that can run WinXP. It doesn't have to be fast, the app is pretty light and it won't do anything else.

Any ideas?
11 replies
Dec 12, 2005
960 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
Are you a midi file junkie?

There are lots of options for computer-on-a-board applications but you'll have to do the work of assembling it yourself. Just google board computers. Lots of these will run XP or embedded XP.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
I'm pretty sure these files can be played by other programs, on OSes other than XP. Anyway, there are all kinds of tablets (such as APad) that run various flavours of Windows (mostly Windows CE) that can fill the gap.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
u can try umpcs like the viliv s5
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
Okay - they're cool.... but not ~$1000 cool.

I think this idea is dead. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
u can get a used one on ebay for around 400 bucks
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7430 posts
2503 upvotes
BC
Are there really no players that could play the files in their native format?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
Kwirky wrote: Are there really no players that could play the files in their native format?

I was getting greedy and wanted ONE iPod touch app that would do it all. I'll simply need 3 apps - one for MIDI, one for SID, one for trackers (MOD) - in addition to the default MP3 player - if it can play OGG files.

I'm on my way to pick one up now. ;)
May 19, 2008
757 posts
16 upvotes
what is the file format you need to play?

most likly any droid phone can do it wit the right app