• Nov 21st, 2010 11:10 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 1, 2007
72 posts
Vaudreuil-Dorion

teksavvy without a tel. line ??

Hi
I wanted to cancel my bell telephone line since we received all calls in our cellphones and it is a waste of money to keep it .
At the same time I want to change internet service provider and I was thinking about getting interrnet with teksavvy .
My question is , can i get internet by tel. line with teksavvy if i dont have an active telephone line ? .
I know I can with my actual internet provider if I pay I think an extra $10.00 , Im with radioactif .
By the way , feel free to recommend another company if you think is a better deal please ( service / price ) . i am looking for a high speed internet with unlimited bandwith or something like the 200gb special from teksavvy .

Thanks for the help and time in advance .
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
Like you said, Yes. It will be possible to get internet without having an existing telephone line, this is called Dryloop. Teksavvy will charge you for band rate depending on where you live. http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp#dryloop

Your other alternative is to get cable internet via teksavvy, but it is not much of a deal compare to videotron.
http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp#cable
Dec 1, 2007
72 posts
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Thanks for the fast response .
Can you explain please what is " band rate " ?
I thought about cable but then again i dont have cable tv .

Thanks
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5530 upvotes
Vaughan
caraloca wrote: Thanks for the fast response .
Can you explain please what is " band rate " ?
I thought about cable but then again i dont have cable tv .

Thanks
Cable internet doesn't require cable TV, they are separate services. Teksavvy is also reseller cable internet for Rogers.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5530 upvotes
Vaughan
caraloca wrote: i am looking for a high speed internet with unlimited bandwith or something like the 200gb special from teksavvy .
Unlimited and 200GB bandwidth will be eliminated in few months due to CRTC new UBB approval. Most likely will be 60GB.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Cable internet doesn't require cable TV, they are separate services. Teksavvy is also reseller cable internet for Rogers.
OP lives in Quebec, so it will be videotron for cable internet
teoconca wrote: Unlimited and 200GB bandwidth will be eliminated in few months due to CRTC new UBB approval. Most likely will be 60GB.
I honestly believe the issue is still up in the air for the UBB. Like Wind mobile/Orascom's ownership issue, the industry minister will come out and say something about this. That is, if they want to keep their minority government (or expand their power).
Dec 1, 2007
72 posts
Vaudreuil-Dorion
[QUOTE]Unlimited and 200GB bandwidth will be eliminated in few months due to CRTC new UBB approval. Most likely will be 60GB. [/QUOTE]
Even if someone pays extra for more gb's ?

Thanks all for the help and time .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
^ sure, Bell is looking to charge ur ISP (which the isp comes to charge you)

The preliminary rate is as follows:
First 60GB will be included in what you already pay.
60-80GB billed at a rate of $1.125/GB
80 to 300GB is a flat rate of $22.50
over 300GB is billed at a rate of $0.75/GB

Using 80GB will cost you, 51.50 (22.50 + 29)
80GB-300GB = 73.50.
300GB+ = you are on your own.

Either go reckless with the downloading or behave. Either way, you are screwed even harder if you use netflix and alike. What's more irritating is 1GB of traffic cost the ISP pennies.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1467 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote: Unlimited and 200GB bandwidth will be eliminated in few months due to CRTC new UBB approval. Most likely will be 60GB.

To clarify....the CRTC decision about usage based billing only affects DSL, NOT cable.

So for the time being, if you want unlimited and better speeds go for the cable service rather than DSL. And as people have mentioned, you don't need cable tv or any existing cable services.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
Depending on where you live you can get cable Internet from Teksavvy and you don't have to pay Bell for the dry loop fee. Then just join up with other companies providing VOIP services without paying the $10 surcharge. It's stupid that Bell charges dry loop fee just forcing ppl to go with cable. Some company will provide a VOIP adapter free.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Banned
Mar 14, 2004
66 posts
6 upvotes
london
You pay $19.95 (Superspeed DSL Internet) + $8.95 (Dry Loop)
+ $2.95 (Network Access Fee)=$31.85 monthly • Where available

1st and last months DSL, Dry loop and Network Access Fee are included in the price
•Home Phone Line with FREE Long Distance to many Canadian Cities
•WiFI Thomson 784 Modem/Router for High Speed Internet ($229.99 Value)
•Configuration File Installed on Hardware FREE ($50.00 Value)
•Transferring of your existing phone number ($25.00 Value)
•Free Music and Voice PC Logitech Headset -
Order now while quantities last ($29.99 Value)
•Shipping Included
•FREE Technical Support
Dec 1, 2007
72 posts
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Depending on where you live you can get cable Internet from Teksavvy
I am in Quebec so I cant get it here .

joecanada wrote: You pay $19.95 (Superspeed DSL Internet) + $8.95 (Dry Loop)
+ $2.95 (Network Access Fee)=$31.85 monthly • Where available

1st and last months DSL, Dry loop and Network Access Fee are included in the price
•Home Phone Line with FREE Long Distance to many Canadian Cities
•WiFI Thomson 784 Modem/Router for High Speed Internet ($229.99 Value)
•Configuration File Installed on Hardware FREE ($50.00 Value)
•Transferring of your existing phone number ($25.00 Value)
•Free Music and Voice PC Logitech Headset -
Order now while quantities last ($29.99 Value)
•Shipping Included
•FREE Technical Support

Is it that a company named "freephoneline" or where can i see about that package ?.