Computers & Electronics

can a wifi dongle be used with any router?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2010 11:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1108 posts
82 upvotes

can a wifi dongle be used with any router?

Hello Guru's,

I have moved my desktop pc downstairs, away from my modem and router setup. A friend gave me a wireless dongle and router. I tried simply inserting the wifi dongle into my pc, but I am unable to connect to the internet.

Do I have to use the matching router? Or should I be able to use my old/current router with the wifi dongle?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
pogs :)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
Generally, yes, but some B/G dongles will not connect to "pure" N routers.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1108 posts
82 upvotes
Thanks.

I know most folks setup a modem with wifi router connected to a pc in one part of the house, and then try to use their laptop in another part of the house. My setup is a modem and wifi router upstairs(not connected to a pc), and my desktop down stairs. Has anyone else set this type of setup before?

Is it possible to share the wifi signal just by using a wifi dongle with my desktop? I am guessing that I have to fiddle a bit with the setup, and possibly swith my router out with the one that came with the dongle?

pogs
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Can you access your router from your computer?

IIt's pretty common to enter
in your browser to access it (then enter user/password), but the IP varies, depending on router brand.

BTW, I recommend connecting the router directly to the computer first, and once you get all the settings figured out, then do it wirelessly. One step at a time ...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5666 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote: Can you access your router from your computer?

in your browser to access it (then enter user/password), but the IP varies, depending on router brand.

BTW, I recommend connecting the router directly to the computer first, and once you get all the settings figured out, then do it wirelessly. One step at a time ...

I agree, and switching the router, it depends which one is better, if your old one is better keep the older one
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
rabbit wrote: Can you access your router from your computer?

IF you really want to know, Start -> Run -> cmd (Press enter) then type in "ipconfig" and look at your gateway address. that is the IP you type in your browser to access your router settings.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1108 posts
82 upvotes
Thanks folks,

Got it working. Connected the router to the pc and wall-ah!!!!

cheers,
pogs
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29539 posts
20458 upvotes
Make sure you password protect your wi-fi, unless you don't mind sharing your connection with the neighbors. Use WPA2 for best security.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)