• Nov 30th, 2010 6:42 am
Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2010
69 posts
2 upvotes
ontario

u.s chequing account

i was told you can apply for a u.s credit card and u.s chequing account without being a resident of u.s you just need a us address is this true?
8 replies
Sep 15, 2008
157 posts
6 upvotes
timex15 wrote: i was told you can apply for a u.s credit card and u.s chequing account without being a resident of u.s you just need a us address is this true?

Many Canadian banks offer a US credit card and a US chequing account. I've had both with CIBC, and currently have a US Chequing account and US Mastercard with BMO. I don't have a US address.
Photographer, Traveler, Small Time Investor, Project Manager, Grease Monkey, Trance Addict. 'nuff said. :D
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1127 posts
479 upvotes
You don't need a US address if you want to open an account with Harris bank (owned by bank of Montreal)
Oct 16, 2008
699 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a question regarding u.s. savings. I recently sold my u.s. Stocks when changing jobs. So now i have a cheque in u.s. And dont plan on using the money anytime soon i just want to save it. So what are my options? My bank has a u.s. Savings account but the interest is low. I dont want to convert it to canadian currency because i will lose money that way. Is there any way to make decent interest off it or should i just go to the bank and open a u.s. Savings and leave it there for a while?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1127 posts
479 upvotes
Check if your US bank offers high yield CDs (but don't expect much).
Feb 18, 2004
821 posts
302 upvotes
cortez wrote: I have a question regarding u.s. savings. I recently sold my u.s. Stocks when changing jobs. So now i have a cheque in u.s. And dont plan on using the money anytime soon i just want to save it. So what are my options? My bank has a u.s. Savings account but the interest is low. I dont want to convert it to canadian currency because i will lose money that way. Is there any way to make decent interest off it or should i just go to the bank and open a u.s. Savings and leave it there for a while?

most banks have USD term deposits or GICs, which should give you better interest rate than savings accounts. ING also offers a USD savings account.

http://www.ingdirect.ca/en/save-invest/usisa/index.html
Sep 30, 2010
69 posts
2 upvotes
ontario
thanks for the harris bank info. I would like to get a us credit card too. Can i get one without being a u.s resident?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
TD US$ Boarderless account Min. Bal. $3,000 and you get a free US$ Visa
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
timex15 wrote: thanks for the harris bank info. I would like to get a us credit card too. Can i get one without being a u.s resident?

No but you can get a debit Visa.

PS - pretty much any bank along the border will do this, not just Harris. BoA and TD are two other options, as well as RBC Centura. Key Bank in the north-east as well. Just say you're a Canadian and want to open an account, bring in your passport, the process takes about 20 mins tops.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings