Computers & Electronics

Anyone recommend a blu-ray drive to backup my movies?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2010 5:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air

Anyone recommend a blu-ray drive to backup my movies?

I would like to backup my movies and store them on a HD that my Samsung BD player can read (probably in mkv format). Can anyone recommend a simple (aka cheap) bd drive that will do this for me? Perhaps one like this from Wintronics computers plus?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
I think that's a BD reader and DVD writer combo drive.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1146 posts
163 upvotes
check out Bewawa. I got my Lite-On Blu Ray Drive for 60+taxes. It's only a reader on the DVD side though.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
tubs wrote: check out Bewawa. I got my Lite-On Blu Ray Drive for 60+taxes. It's only a reader on the DVD side though.

OK, will do, thanks. I only need a reader as I have a DVD burner already....
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Blu-ray writers have been on special for $100, just FYI.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
I got the BD reader that Amourek posted. I only need a reader and not a writer so it should do the trick.

Thanks all :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
flyboy320 wrote: I got the BD reader that Amourek posted. I only need a reader and not a writer so it should do the trick.

Thanks all :)

I am a little slow here, so why do u need a BD reader if you are not backing up the file in BD-R discs?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
mucat wrote: I am a little slow here, so why do u need a BD reader if you are not backing up the file in BD-R discs?

Converting it to a HD file format so OP can play the movie while the original isn't needed.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Blackmajik wrote: Converting it to a HD file format so OP can play the movie while the original isn't needed.
Ya it's because my new BD player (Samsung 6900) can play media files like avi, mkv, etc. by hooking up a portable hard drive to it via USB. This way I can back up my movies and store them all on the portable HD and hook this into my BD player via USB, and have a whole library of movies at my fingertips without having to load and reload the BD disks all the time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
Blackmajik wrote: Converting it to a HD file format so OP can play the movie while the original isn't needed.

Thanks, that sounds...very obvious... :D

My brain is slow today, must be the -30 windchill...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)