Computers & Electronics

Setting up 5.1 floor speakers to receiver then TV (connected to PS3)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2010 12:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3198 posts
62 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo

Setting up 5.1 floor speakers to receiver then TV (connected to PS3)

Ok - well, I can't get this. I am not too smart as you may know.

So, my rich buddies purchase for me a nice 5.1 floor standing speakers and I need to connect them to a receiver using audio cables (with banana clips at ends). The banana clips are not really bananas, they are some metal clips, but only called banana. That was funny! I initially was thinking of bananas! He, he!

So, anyways, from received this has to be connected to the TV. The TV is in turn connected to the PS3. When I play PS3 or watch CNN myself on CNN I want the audio to come out of these magnificent floor speakers. Yes, I play PS3 when not playing around with other countries.

I am having difficulty picturing this out for some reason.

Here is my diagram:

receiver <-> speakers (using regular audio cable with banana clips)
receiver <-> TV (via HDMI; received has HDMI out, and TV has HDMI in)
TV <-> PS3 (via HDMI)

but what about sound when I watch TV or play PS3? How is that connected and how does it come out from the magnificent 5.1 speakers?

Any help would be missing accomplished!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1262 posts
316 upvotes
PS3 (out) <- HDMI -> receiver (in)
receiver (out) <- HDMI -> TV (in)
speakers <-> receiver
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
HDMI carrys both video and audio. so the signal will get passed through the TV to your reciever. however the problem with this, and ALOT of people have this problem and dont realize it, is that very few tvs can pass a 5.1 signal through themselves down to the reciever.

what you want is your cable box/satelitte to connect to your home theatre for sound, via opticle cable. Same with the PS3.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
You connect TV with receiver ONLY, and connect everything else to the receiver. This means your Xbox, cable box, Google TV, etc.

And banana plugs are called that because the male end splits up a little in the middle like a banana (you need to use your imagination I guess).
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2006
1605 posts
95 upvotes
Thornhill
Based on your.....

Code: Select all

Here is my diagram:

receiver <-> speakers (using regular audio cable with banana clips)
receiver <-> TV (via HDMI; received has HDMI out, and TV has HDMI in)
TV <-> PS3 (via HDMI)
If your receiver has Optical Audio In, or Stereo Red and White plugs... You can just connect your audio straight to the receiver from the PS3, and everything will work based on your current setup :P