• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2010 7:24 am
Tags:
None
Jan 15, 2007
139 posts
46 upvotes

Telus marketing door-to-door?

In Vancouver today, snow has fallen to about 6 inches high. And a Telus marketing rep was walking door to door, trying to switch people from Shaw to Telus. In the snow! Is Telus that desperate for sales?

If Telus just answered their customer service phone calls within 5 minutes instead of leaving us on hold for 2 hours or just had great customer service, then they might not have to resort to door-to-door sales. I remember how their telephone marketing reps would phone existing Telus customers every week trying to sell more Telus services, to the point that we had to change our phone number to another company. So many things wrong with this company and everything could be fixed internally, instead of trying to market to new customers whom will complain with the rest of us.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
babybear wrote: In Vancouver today, snow has fallen to about 6 inches high. And a Telus marketing rep was walking door to door, trying to switch people from Shaw to Telus. In the snow! Is Telus that desperate for sales?

If Telus just answered their customer service phone calls within 5 minutes instead of leaving us on hold for 2 hours or just had great customer service, then they might not have to resort to door-to-door sales. I remember how their telephone marketing reps would phone existing Telus customers every week trying to sell more Telus services, to the point that we had to change our phone number to another company. So many things wrong with this company and everything could be fixed internally, instead of trying to market to new customers whom will complain with the rest of us.

Someone must have been on commission.

As for me though, generally speaking I'm pleased with Telus, and even more pleased as of this afternoon. After a nice little conversation, I got a good price on phone+internet, with an upgrade to my internet service and paying less dollars. I'll be with 'em for a while. Which is good, really...it would suck to tell everyone I'm changing Email addresses. :confused:
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Telus would've been fine if I wouldn't have 150 ping in games with their internet where I live where with shaw I get 20.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
babybear wrote: In Vancouver today, snow has fallen to about 6 inches high. And a Telus marketing rep was walking door to door, trying to switch people from Shaw to Telus. In the snow! Is Telus that desperate for sales?

Have you actually tried calling Telus lately? Also have you tried calling Shaw lately?

I called both last month (well more like 2 months ago now)...

Shaw - I waited ~30 minutes before i got to talk to a rep, then waited another 15 to get transferred to another department and was even put on hold a few times during the discussion.

Telus - multiple phone calls in the last 2 months, can't remember any call that required me to wait more than 10 minutes (more than 5 tho). Rarely put on hold.

Also i have called Shaw a few times here and there during network outages that they have like once every few months (just to see how long it is before they fix it). Every time i just put on a BT headset and do my thing because it takes them ~30 minutes to answer.

Lower pricing structure, cheaper (cost) hardware, and easier to contact -----------------> Telus > Shaw right now in my books. Also you could argue better hardware since i have BOTH Shaw and Telus net right now. Telus Optik is considerably faster than Shaw Xtreme and both are rated @ 15. Shaw has higher peaks but also much lower min and a lower average while Telus (even with 2 HD feeds on most of the time) keeps a higher average speed than Shaw and a much higher min-speed. I have combined both networks using a Cisco dual uplink router (that i'm still messing around with, just got it recently) to track so i think my stats are fairly reliable.

Currently average speed (in my area, rounded) for Shaw - average - 10mbps, peak 27mbps, min 2mbps; Telus, average - 12mbps, peak 20mps, min 10mbps. Remember i'm running TV through Telus as well so the average speed in theory could be a lot higher if i wasn't watching HD feed(s)/SD feed.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Telus would've been fine if I wouldn't have 150 ping in games with their internet where I live where with shaw I get 20.

wow . my average ping is between 60 and 250 depending on what game im playing.
Cogeco cable must suck then because I thought this was the normal :(
Wish Eastlink would hurry and buy up North bay. or at least have tecksavvy in here or something
Jan 15, 2007
139 posts
46 upvotes
GVRtrader wrote: Have you actually tried calling Telus lately? Also have you tried calling Shaw lately?

I called both last month (well more like 2 months ago now)...

Shaw - I waited ~30 minutes before i got to talk to a rep, then waited another 15 to get transferred to another department and was even put on hold a few times during the discussion.

Telus - multiple phone calls in the last 2 months, can't remember any call that required me to wait more than 10 minutes (more than 5 tho). Rarely put on hold.

Also i have called Shaw a few times here and there during network outages that they have like once every few months (just to see how long it is before they fix it). Every time i just put on a BT headset and do my thing because it takes them ~30 minutes to answer.

Lower pricing structure, cheaper (cost) hardware, and easier to contact -----------------> Telus > Shaw right now in my books. Also you could argue better hardware since i have BOTH Shaw and Telus net right now. Telus Optik is considerably faster than Shaw Xtreme and both are rated @ 15. Shaw has higher peaks but also much lower min and a lower average while Telus (even with 2 HD feeds on most of the time) keeps a higher average speed than Shaw and a much higher min-speed. I have combined both networks using a Cisco dual uplink router (that i'm still messing around with, just got it recently) to track so i think my stats are fairly reliable.

Currently average speed (in my area, rounded) for Shaw - average - 10mbps, peak 27mbps, min 2mbps; Telus, average - 12mbps, peak 20mps, min 10mbps. Remember i'm running TV through Telus as well so the average speed in theory could be a lot higher if i wasn't watching HD feed(s)/SD feed.

Actually, I phoned Shaw today to say "yes" to the 3 Months Free of Movie channels promotion (Super Channel and MovieCentral) and they answered the phone with zero waiting time. My Shaw plan charges me $10/month for Telephone, $10/month for Internet, and free rental PVR hardware for one year. How much does Telus charge you?

By the way, Shaw does not call me with annoying sales calls during dinner time or any other time. Shaw mails special promotions to me. I haven't compared the internet speeds. The main Internet complaint I had with Telus is that they made me wait almost 3 weeks for a modem repair last year, and all they did was send a new modem.
Feb 11, 2010
203 posts
41 upvotes
babybear wrote: By the way, Shaw does not call me with annoying sales calls during dinner time or any other time. Shaw mails special promotions to me. I haven't compared the internet speeds. The main Internet complaint I had with Telus is that they made me wait almost 3 weeks for a modem repair last year, and all they did was send a new modem.

I think Shaw does in fact make sales calls (although for me it was quite infrequent and not necessarily during dinner time), however once I asked them not to phone and send any promotions via mail instead they've obliged.

The problem for me personally with Telus is that I still remember how unreliable their service was when I had it a few years ago, and how generally ****** their customer service was. It sounds like their hardware/infrastructure has improved lately, and I did get through to them fairly quickly when calling about their 15/15/15 plan recently. But talking to some family members who recently switched to Optik TV/Internet it doesn't seem like much has changed as far as service - a bunch of their TV channels semi-regularly flicker/crap out, and it takes Telus close to a week to respond and they can't seem to fix the problem. So for now I'm sticking with Shaw, and will probably continue to do so unless Telus suddenly starts offering to give me a FTTH connection for $5 on a permanent basis or something :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
babybear wrote: My Shaw plan charges me $10/month for Telephone

Yeah, but if your power goes out, you're pooched. Thing I like about Telus is that if my power goes out, I plug in my corded phone and hey presto, I can make a call.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
Guys, you have to remember the sole reason why neither TELUS nor SHAW can provide you the service you wanted at the price you wanted (or even at the service level you wanted) is all thanks to CRTC. Their so called competitive landscaping policy is the biggest reason why certain pricing is in place. When you have a fixed price, the only varible now becomes cost to stay afloat. Just think about this: how can you face the shareholders while the revenue model is pretty much fixed?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
babybear wrote: Actually, I phoned Shaw today to say "yes" to the 3 Months Free of Movie channels promotion (Super Channel and MovieCentral) and they answered the phone with zero waiting time. My Shaw plan charges me $10/month for Telephone, $10/month for Internet, and free rental PVR hardware for one year. How much does Telus charge you?

By the way, Shaw does not call me with annoying sales calls during dinner time or any other time. Shaw mails special promotions to me. I haven't compared the internet speeds. The main Internet complaint I had with Telus is that they made me wait almost 3 weeks for a modem repair last year, and all they did was send a new modem.

I get movie central for free for 3 months just like everyone else. Its not a Shaw promotion but rather a MC promotion. I also believe the fairchild package is free for 3 months as well (same promotion).

PVR - Got for $180 so 0 rental
HD boxes - Got for $100 so 0 rental (multiple)
Also no contract (otherwise i would've gotten a free PVR and 360)

Hardware prices = much better than Shaw.

Student pricing from Shaw (which is better than any promo they currently have/willing to offer as all basics + xtreme net = 60 + rental on 2 HD boxes, had 3 box and 1 PVR rental free but i need 6 total lol + HD sport package = ~95 per month). Same with Telus = $57/month for the first 3 months, 72 after.

I got no clue how your wait was 0 because i called multiple times last month to confirm canceling phone + TV (i kept net for a super high speed network plus student pricing for it is cheap). I can't see how suddenly their service is so much faster unless you called a different number for that promotion. Even the OS for PVR is much better and i love being able to control my PVR with my iphone when i'm not home.
Sep 27, 2010
169 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Here in Toronto we get Bell and Rogers customers coming door to door. But everyone has to wait when they call, I guess financially it would make more sense for them to do it or else they would've figured it out by now and made a better customer service centre module
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
Telus actually owes me $5 and the customer service when I called, they could not figure out how to send it to me.
Seriously.

I am no longer a customer and on my last bill I have a $5 credit. when Telus goes into their system it says $5 credit on one part, but then closed account and they were supposed to call me back to let me know how they can send me the $5

no one called back, not surprized.

I will be faxing them a million times till they send me a cheque.

Telus also tried to make me change phone plans when i was with them bacause my plan did not exist any more.
they called me every week asking if I would change plans.
legally I did not have to change plans and they had to honour my plan as long as i was a customer :)
I had a plan w free lunch hour, voicemail and call display included,free eve and weekends too.
was pretty cheap then, like under $30- had other features too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)