• Nov 29th, 2010 9:10 am
Tags:
None
Sep 11, 2006
558 posts
1 upvote

Virus Winlogon.exe and explorer.exe Virus

Ok, another problem I'm having.

I have these two viruses i can't seem to get rid of.

I must have googled everything on how to remove these virus and I can't get rid of it.

Virus removal software i have.
AVG and Spybot Search & Destroy.

can someone help me out.

"c:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe";"Virus found Win32/Patched";"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"
"c:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe";"Virus found Win32/Patched";"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"

I tried deleting the winlogon.exe but I read that this is a part of the start/exit program before starting up the computer.

Any Advice would really help.

Better yet, step by step direction

Thanks again,
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2808 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary
Both those files are necessary for proper operation of Windows. They are in use while you are in windows...

I think there was trick in the old days to somehow copy paste a different version of the file that maybe you can get off the net. Otherwise, you may have to plug the hard drive into a different pc, scan it for viruses (allowing it to remove those files as they would not be in use then) and then probably having to repair Windows. This could even potentially render Windows useless and you having to do a clean install of Windows again.

Maybe I am wrong...and someone else can shed some light?
RIG SPECS: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO X570 - Ryzen 9 5900x @ 5GHz - XPG 32GB @ 3200MHz - MSI RTX 4090 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W G2 PSU - AORUS Gen 4 M.2 1TB SSD
HEATWARE
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Try the latest free version of hitman pro. Enable the 30 day free trial. You can't just copy on new exe files because the hidden spyware will just reinfect the new files. Hitman should kill the hidden spyware first, then it will copy in new exe files.

Also, Malwarebytes will get some of the hidden spyware out
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Only sure way is a fresh install. Just like Aliens you need to nuke the facility.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
Sometimes its easier to do a fresh format....

I always have multiple hard drives... that way everything I need is safe and sound on a non windows installed drive....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
Have you given Malware bites a try. Download it, it's free and pretty decent.

Personally I use Kaspersky and it hasn't let me down yet. Wait till boxing day the get the 2011 Internet Security which usually cost $19.99 (sale price from $80)

sk
Sep 11, 2006
558 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input,

I will try this Malware Bites and Hitman Pro.

Yea formatting the drive is one simple right click away, but i have way to many files to be backed up.
This should be the very last step at least for me to try.