Computers & Electronics

Any opinions on either of these Sony or Samsung laptops?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2010 6:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes

Any opinions on either of these Sony or Samsung laptops?

Looking at getting one of these laptops to replace my desktop. What are Sony laptops like? Samsung?

Sony

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

and another Sony

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/son ... 4ff279en02

Samsung

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 27f97cen02

Any thoughts? Good? Bad?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
There we go now the links are working.

Well those 2 sony ones you posted will be faster then the samsung since the specs are higher end which is why your also spending more. In terms of that Samsung I recently told a friend to buy it and I set it up for them and so on (FutureShop wanted $100-$300 to setup) Of course I did it for much less. But either way from my short time with the laptop I liked it, its very nice pretty quick for what she needs her laptop for (general school work/videos etc) It also looked to be built fairly well and I have not heard anything bad about it when I was looking it up.

Now it depends on what you want to use the laptop for exactly? Is battery life something thats very important to you as it would be for a student? The reason I ask is because there is a Version of that samsung laptop that I'm going to be picking up for a family member probably that's still very good in terms of performance but has a much longer battery life because of a slightly slower cpu & different video card & its also slightly cheaper then this one.

Let me know and I can help you out better.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
I don't need battery life really. It's ultimately going to be a desktop replacement. If I can move it around the house, use the battery occasionally etc, that's fine. I want it for the following:

1) desktop replacement
2) photo/audio/video editing - capture video tapes and edit resulting files. encode video etc.
3) part-time HTPC work. watch BD and also connect to flatscreen and/or projector
4) music server to play music on a couple of music systems, just stream/play HDD music files
5) little or no 3D gaming

Only reason I like the fast i7 CPU (i5 is still faster than i3 so nice ...about 2000 passmark points for an i3 350 and 2400 for an i5....but i7 you're looking at 3200 for the 720 and 3600 for the 740)....is for the video, photo work. nVidia cards have Cuda so they help with the video encoding etc, but I'm not one to care about 3D gaming. Fun to goof around, but not my interest.

My main interest is in people's experience with the product reliability etc. I understand Sony Support is pretty lame and I've heard that from Sony projector owners too.

In that graphic that has gone around recently, Sony does rate second to Toshiba for reliability...but, I take that with a grain of salt, that's why I'm checking for feedback from folks who may own or have owned.

The Samsung @ $799 is the least expensive laptop with a 500GB HDD, 4GB ram, i5 AND a Blu-Ray player, but....the screen is a tad smaller at 15.6" and I think lower res than the Sony's.

thanks for the feedback,

:)
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
well based on what you said since its going to be a desktop replacement then your better off with the Intel i7 for the power when video editing/encoding and so on. You may even want to look into Asus laptops as they are very good in terms of reliability and a lot of their models come with 2 year standard warranty unlike the regular 1 year from most manufactures.

They have many different models here for you to look at.
http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=asus+notebook

Ncix if you have not heard of them before is a very good popular company, they have 2 or 3 stores in the GTA and are expanding here now as they are originally from the BC area.