Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

certain users could not save an Excel spreadsheet on a file server

poster's note: This thread is in relation to my other thread earlier.

Recently, there has been an issue for my clients at my workplace who has difficulties saving their files into the remote drive. Everytime when they open an Excel Spreadsheet for example (my clients use Office 2007, but some use Office 2003), they modify the data in that file.

When its time to save it, they click on "Save" and it gave them an error message that "this particular file is currently in use by another user. Please try again later."

Even though that there is no one around at the other workstations who is using that file remotely at the same time, they still gave that particular error.

The file server runs on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. Some clients use Windows 7, but all others utilize Windows XP Professional. Other users are able to save to the respective folder located on the shared drive.

Upon further examination, I realized that the particular version of McAfee Virusscan is probably to blame on preventing the users who save files in the Office 97-2003 format. When I saved it under the Office 2007 format (i.e. .xlsx) it worked fine, but many users want to keep it as .xls - just to maintain cross-compatibility.

I've tried to perform a registry fix for the problematic systems, but the problem persists.

By the way, the version of McAfee VirusScan that is currently installed on the file server (dubbed SVR01) is 8.5.0i. I found somewhere that there is a hotfix for that version of the anti-virus program, but if I want to do some administrative tasks on that file server (i.e. applying a service pack for the antivirus program or hotfix for that), I must have permission from either the CEO or whoever is in charge to perform the task(s) from there.

Is there a way on how to prevent this problem from happening?
2 replies
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
This is a very common issue with windows server, to solve, simply go to computer browser on server, and go to open files, and kill the open file.

It will happen again, but its a easy fix.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
rocking23nf wrote: This is a very common issue with windows server, to solve, simply go to computer browser on server, and go to open files, and kill the open file.

It will happen again, but its a easy fix.
The file server has been going on continuously for the past two months, but I have to gain approval from my colleagues at my workplace. They do not want to lose their work in progress in the process! Anyways, I will keep you posted if any thing has arised, otherwise please give me some other suggestions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)