Tags:
None
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
which case did you have in mind? mATX or mini-ITX?
Nov 18, 2004
689 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Actually this is an atx board so i need an atx case.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
There are some sub-$100 ATX ones from Apevia and nMedia. Do you need one with the display or just a regular case? Price range? Features you need? etc.
Aug 16, 2010
814 posts
81 upvotes
Richmond Hill
what is an htpc? can't you just use your laptop?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
peterchaorocks wrote: what is an htpc? can't you just use your laptop?

An htpc is a home theatre personal computer.

Silverstone cases are nice. They accept atx boards and atx psu's.
Nov 18, 2004
689 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Well since I was originally planning on putting the MOBO into my generic tower - feature wise, I'm not sure. As this MOBO has USB3 I guess I should make sure it's got USB3 support (otherwise I'd have to use the back plugs), for the HTPC I think it should have IR (though I'd really like to control it via my iPad... so obviously I haven't thought this completely through.

Thinking about it more, I'm not sure if I really want a giant (ATX vs mini ITX) sized box with my HT setup - this computer was supposed to be my photo/video editing rig, and I'd convert my existing desktop to a Windows Home Server.

Anyone want to trade an AM3 ATX mobo for a mATX AM3 mobo?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
HTPC is one of the bigger PITA in my DIY venture.

The main purpose is for looks and getting an ATX full HTPC case defeat the purpose for the most part. I'm sorry, but nothing looks more elegant than a Revo screwed on the back on the HDTV (can't beat not seeing the damn thing LOL) or one of them media box like WDTV or PBO.

When you decide to add something to HTPC cases, it may not be easy...either no room or difficult. Thermal/noise management is also harder.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
^yep that's why I just ended up buying a media player for now. lol Nothing beats it in size and power consumption.

I still am in the process of building a gaming mini-ITX HTPC eventually once I find a mini-ITX case that is elegant looking and if a they ever release a HD 6850/GTX460 that is low profile and silent. I have a low profile 5750 that overclocks very well to 5830 levels but dual fan is not the best in the noise department (plus StarCraft II won't let me set Ultra settings on it even when its overclocked :/ )
Nov 18, 2004
689 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
I think you guys are right - actually the cheapest thing for me to do right now is just suck it up and buy another MOBO, one that fits the case I intended - and try to sell the ATX. I bought a Patriot Box Office as a gift to my brother in-law (hopefully he's not reading this) and will be installing and provisioning it for him so he'll be my guinea pig on the slimmed down media player for the Home Theater...

This IS becoming a PITA...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4403 posts
103 upvotes
After some time with the HTPC PITA, I've found a decent formula in keeping it simple, quiet, cool and not using it for too many roles. 99% of my HTPC's usage is as a playback machine and web browser. If I do any work on it, it's via logmein connecting to another computer via web browser.
So far it's been pretty smooth sailing; the mistake most people make is installing the wrong codecs and/or packs of them, and then not restarting from scratch when things don't work out. Now that I know exactly which codecs and filters I want to install, and which software too, I can have the same set up in all the home's PCs, HTPCs, laptops etc.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
I should make a small correction to my wordings Re PITA :)

What I really meant was HTPC cases and not HTPC in general. I switch things around, add stuff from time to time and HTPC cases are indeed not as forgiving.

If your house is hardwired for network, server based setup is a good solution since there are easy to use and cheaper front end devices like media players, SFF HTPCs like Revo, etc.

The codec game is easier to figure out these days with Windows 7 and compatible hardwares.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4403 posts
103 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: I should make a small correction to my wordings Re PITA :)

What I really meant was HTPC cases and not HTPC in general. I switch things around, add stuff from time to time and HTPC cases are indeed not as forgiving.

If your house is hardwired for network, server based setup is a good solution since there are easy to use and cheaper front end devices like media players, SFF HTPCs like Revo, etc.

The codec game is easier to figure out these days with Windows 7 and compatible hardwares.

That makes more sense, coming from you. It struck me as puzzling. :)

I've decided to stick with large ATX HTPC cases. I generally use large AV receivers, so I'm getting a "matching" component in my HTPC, even if the mobo is only mATX. I find the larger space and airflow keeps them easy to work with. Also I have no wife approval issues - she just likes things to work, and doesn't mind if it's not a dainty little box.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
fitbrit wrote: That makes more sense, coming from you. It struck me as puzzling. :)

I've decided to stick with large ATX HTPC cases. I generally use large AV receivers, so I'm getting a "matching" component in my HTPC, even if the mobo is only mATX. I find the larger space and airflow keeps them easy to work with. Also I have no wife approval issues - she just likes things to work, and doesn't mind if it's not a dainty little box.

I looked at your heftily equipped HT gears in your HT photo post. A full sized HTPC is only fitting to go with the rest :)

Now we do need to see some pix :) :)