Is this a DVD player or Blu Ray ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2010 12:10 am
Tags:
May 10, 2009
15 posts
Mississauga

Is this a DVD player or Blu Ray ?

Yesterday I bought this player thinking of it as a Blu Ray.

Sony 1080p Upconverting DVD Player
http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/Playe ... DVD-Player

I went home. opened it, set it up and watch two blu ray movies. Seems okay to me but now I went online and see it presented more like a DVD player.
The question is this. is this a DVD player or a Blu Ray ?
Would I get better if I buy a blu ray instead of this one ?
Thanks.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
if you were able to watch blu-ray movies on it, then it is a blu-ray player. dvd players can't play blu-ray movies obviously
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote: haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
May 10, 2009
15 posts
Mississauga
Thanks FM, that's what I thought and yes, it does look good but when you go to the walmart website it is displayed at the DVD category and not under Blu Ray players.
the_fm wrote: if you were able to watch blu-ray movies on it, then it is a blu-ray player. dvd players can't play blu-ray movies obviously
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
What's the model number? Either you bought the wrong player or you bought the wrong discs.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
that's not a blu ray player
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
Are you sure they were blu-rays you were watching?

Cause thats a dvd player.

I hope to the rfd gods you have an hdtv.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Any chance you picked up the dual format blu ray movies?
May 10, 2009
15 posts
Mississauga
this is the model number: BDP-S270
Yesterday I went to Blockbuster and rented two Blu Ray movies. Watch them both and everything went fine, I must say though I didn't find a HDMA cable in the box but only the composite yellow-red-blue one ....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
looks like you got a blu-ray player in a dvd box
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote: haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
jackie_sean wrote: this is the model number: BDP-S270
Yesterday I went to Blockbuster and rented two Blu Ray movies. Watch them both and everything went fine, I must say though I didn't find a HDMA cable in the box but only the composite yellow-red-blue one ....

"BDP" - it's a blu-ray player

No one provides HDMI cables with the players, most don't even supply components... you have to buy those separately.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
May 10, 2009
15 posts
Mississauga
appleb wrote: Well if it's a BDP-S270 then I think the answer should be obvious based on this picture.
That is exactly the one I have. Big thanks to all for clarification.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
jackie_sean wrote: That is exactly the one I have. Big thanks to all for clarification.

Was it cheap or something? Generally people don't buy blu-ray players by accident. The price difference is usually noticeable.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
OP has stumbled upon a potentially hot deal!

Blu ray players at DVD player prices!
Jun 12, 2006
246 posts
191 upvotes
Hamilton
Wow, the Walmart website is so poorly designed I feel embarrassed to use it. One has to pick a "home store" and prices are only visible to you if your home store has it in stock. Despite their claim that "This is to help you budget when you're creating a shopping list", I can't help thinking this is a blatant attempt to prevent price matching. There are 2 Walmarts in my town and 3 more within 25 minutes, so guess what, Walmart? I just might like to know the price of something at your store even if the one down the street doesn't have stock. Just one more reason not to shop here, I suppose.

For the benefit of those of us who don't get access to this top-secret information, what's the price?

-ZS
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3907 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
ZiggyStardust wrote: Wow, the Walmart website is so poorly designed I feel embarrassed to use it. One has to pick a "home store" and prices are only visible to you if your home store has it in stock. Despite their claim that "This is to help you budget when you're creating a shopping list", I can't help thinking this is a blatant attempt to prevent price matching. There are 2 Walmarts in my town and 3 more within 25 minutes, so guess what, Walmart? I just might like to know the price of something at your store even if the one down the street doesn't have stock. Just one more reason not to shop here, I suppose.

For the benefit of those of us who don't get access to this top-secret information, what's the price?

-ZS

Actually, it's because some stores have different prices (some stores have certain items on clearance while others don't)
Jun 12, 2006
246 posts
191 upvotes
Hamilton
Akitakara wrote: Actually, it's because some stores have different prices (some stores have certain items on clearance while others don't)

Really? Walmart? The company is run like a third-world dictatorship, but there is variance in their pricing? I sincerely doubt that. Yes, I know there are "manager's specials", but head office decides what goes on clearance and at what price. Forgive me, but that sounds very much like an answer I'd expect from a Walmart manager.

-ZS
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3866 upvotes
Nowhere
ZiggyStardust wrote: Really? Walmart? The company is run like a third-world dictatorship, but there is variance in their pricing? I sincerely doubt that. Yes, I know there are "manager's specials", but head office decides what goes on clearance and at what price. Forgive me, but that sounds very much like an answer I'd expect from a Walmart manager.

-ZS

AFAIK head office controls prices and prices may vary due to market conditions ie if they can charge more at certain stores, they will, or they may lower prices to drive a local competitor out of business.

To the OP, how do you buy a Blu-ray player and not know that you are buying a blu-ray player? The box tells you exactly what it is. Did you really need to post a thread here for an obvious answer. BTW, an upconverting DVD player which is what you linked to, is not a blu-ray player.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
So where does OP got the idea that this is a DVD player if the box says Blu-ray?

Since these's no price listed perhaps the player is not actually cheap but OP bought it anyways.
There's a sucker born every minute.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)