• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2011 9:25 am
Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2010
119 posts
7 upvotes

HP DM1 carrying AMD fusion

It's a 11.6" notebook carrying the new AMD fusion cpu along with an ATI Radeon 6310M video card. Manufacturers retail price is $449. :-0
I honestly think it's one of the greater deals for a laptop. Strongest video card I've seen on a laptop in a while.

Anybody know when best buy/future shop will carry them or if they carry them right now? Looks promising.

Here's the spec sheet courtesy of engadget: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com ... 1hpdm1.jpg
30 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Drivers are gonna need a few months to mature.
Dec 22, 2010
119 posts
7 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Drivers are gonna need a few months to mature.

Damn. I was hoping to get my hands on it within the next month.
Initially i had plans to buy a netbook, but this guy popped into the picture along with the other 12 inch laptops and I'm practically sold.

Would you say March seems like a good date for them to be put on Best Buy/Futureshop shelves?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7742 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
6310 is better then 5870 or nVidia 310m found on the Asus G73jh/jw series?
Mar 7, 2010
705 posts
35 upvotes
_allan_ wrote: 6310 is better then 5870 or nvidia 310m found on the asus g73jh/jw series?

lol
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Areyounoob wrote: Damn. I was hoping to get my hands on it within the next month.
Initially i had plans to buy a netbook, but this guy popped into the picture along with the other 12 inch laptops and I'm practically sold.

Would you say March seems like a good date for them to be put on Best Buy/Futureshop shelves?

You can buy them right now probably in the US. Keep an eye on the catalyst driver release notes. If 11.1 has support for the 6310 you may be good to go.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
This is the only thing technologically that I am looking forward to seeing in the near future. AMD has spent the past 2/3 years hyping fusion, I can not imagine that they would put so much faith on this dark horse if they were not 100% certain it would win the race. My guess is that the general purpose computing performance will be between SB and C2D, but power draw will be much less than SB.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
toalan wrote: This is the only thing technologically that I am looking forward to seeing in the near future. AMD has spent the past 2/3 years hyping fusion, I can not imagine that they would put so much faith on this dark horse if they were not 100% certain it would win the race. My guess is that the general purpose computing performance will be between SB and C2D, but power draw will be much less than SB.

Absolutely NOT! The current fusion products are designed to compete with Atom, not desktop or full size notebooks. From what I have see, it destroys Atom, but it can't compare to even low end core i3 notebooks.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=10 ... pert&pid=9
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Absolutely NOT! The current fusion products are designed to compete with Atom, not desktop or full size notebooks. From what I have see, it destroys Atom, but it can't compare to even low end core i3 notebooks.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=10 ... pert&pid=9

How's it compare to a dual core ION though?

Edit:
Nevermind read the review
Dec 22, 2010
119 posts
7 upvotes
toalan wrote: This is the only thing technologically that I am looking forward to seeing in the near future. AMD has spent the past 2/3 years hyping fusion, I can not imagine that they would put so much faith on this dark horse if they were not 100% certain it would win the race. My guess is that the general purpose computing performance will be between SB and C2D, but power draw will be much less than SB.

Naw bro, i think that it would be the top contender when facing intel's atom processors but will nowhere be cloes to beating out sandy bridge, or core2duo processors for that matter.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
Simply put there are 18w solutions that either are single core or dual core 1 or 1.6 ghz cpu's onboard. The 1.6 ghz dual core + onboard apu WILL play some games at decent resolution & details vs intel offerings including low end Core i3's. Q3 of this year will be when the next version of these come out with a quad & tri core @ 100w's will be. My guess these versions in Q3 will have higher clock speeds on them.

These definatly won't be beatin out any SB mobile platforms but should give AMD alot of competition & in the low end - low mid pc solutions like netbooks, econo-pc & ect type of solutions.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
B0000rt wrote: How's it compare to a dual core ION though?

Edit:
Nevermind read the review
Almost as good or better than 550 Atom + Ion, but slower than SU series.
Dec 22, 2010
119 posts
7 upvotes
Just an update: I read on engadget through one of the comments that it would be available in the US on the 9th of January. :D
Of course I did a little bit more research through google and found the same results.
May 23, 2006
243 posts
17 upvotes
Any updates on pricing and release date for Canada? Also how does this thing stack up against the upcoming Lenovo S205, X120e and the Sony Vaio YB? Any other Zacate Fusion netbooks to look out for in the 12" range?
May 23, 2006
243 posts
17 upvotes
Well, it's available in the States. I think people were getting them for $425 with a coupon off hp.com. Also, I'd be wary of buying a laptop off ebay. Question is, when does Canada get it?
Dec 22, 2010
119 posts
7 upvotes
SlyC wrote: Well, it's available in the States. I think people were getting them for $425 with a coupon off hp.com. Also, I'd be wary of buying a laptop off ebay. Question is, when does Canada get it?

Yea I was really excited for it. I'm really scared for the mark up from shipping it to Canada.
Hopefully the eBay one was just to sell it for profit and wasn't the actual price. I really hope it's closer to $450..
May 23, 2006
243 posts
17 upvotes
Any alternatives (AMD Fusion) to the Dm1 that are available now? Need one before March!
Dec 22, 2010
119 posts
7 upvotes
SlyC wrote: Any alternatives (AMD Fusion) to the Dm1 that are available now? Need one before March!

There's the acer aspire which carries the C50 but only has 1gb of ran.
I cannot link as of now so just search around RFD for it. It's crawling around in a thread.