• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2011 2:06 am
Tags:
None
Sep 6, 2009
85 posts
Brampton

Replace lamp or buy new tv

I have a 52" panasonic lcd rear projection tv that was bought in 2006 and recently the lamp went out and the replacement lamp will cost about $150-$200 I have heard the replacement lamps dont last as long as the original and im not sure if its true , Would it be better to replace the lamp or buy a new lcd hdtv

As well I wanted to know if this 40" lcd hdtv from Costco was a good deal and tv

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... =C&topnav=
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
TH1 wrote: I have a 52" panasonic lcd rear projection tv that was bought in 2006 and recently the lamp went out and the replacement lamp will cost about $150-$200 I have heard the replacement lamps dont last as long as the original and im not sure if its true , Would it be better to replace the lamp or buy a new lcd hdtv

As well I wanted to know if this 40" lcd hdtv from Costco was a good deal and tv

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... =C&topnav=
If you like the TV then buy a new lamp even if isn't going to last that long (but I don't know why it wouldn't). A new TV this size is far more expensive, even if it also far cheaper then in 2006. I guess in a few years when the replacement lamp will be gone a new TV this size will cost as much as a new lamp, we are just not there yet.
Jan 3, 2006
214 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
Buying a new lamp is better for the environment !
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
You should check the manual for your TV as quite a few Panasonics have LIFI lamps that are warrantied for 5 years but you have to pay the labour to change it. You should call Panasonic to see if the lamp is covered.

Also you could buy the lamp at globalsemi.com and see how much it will cost.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
2333 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Get a new tv, not worth spending money on old obsolete tech.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Put it this way.... if you don't replace the bulb, the unit is worthless..ZERO...nadda... garbage that might cost $ to get rid of. OTH: you might get lucky with a replacement bulb on ebay or some sort of 3rd party dealer. I've heard stories of exta stock http://www.projectorcentral.com/lamp-suppliers.htm and even on ebay, I saw a couple of Panasonic bulbs for $99 using a search Projector Lamps. If replacement is truly a big chore, put the box on Craig List and see what comes, but if you get ANY offers over ZERO, you'll be alright.... it's out of your hair. If you decide to get a cheap replacement bulb... replace it and flip the whole unit on Craig's List for the cost of the bulb + your labour/hassle and a small profit, which would probably put it at the $300 mark, and I doubt you would ever get that much, so you're stuck with a unit that will burn your $ down when the bulb fails.

The LCD TV you looked at is great.. and Costco is the place to buy (warranty wise) but the price is a bit for that unit size. Instore deals are much better and I have seen 1080p 40"+ models under $600 which translates into state-of-the-art for a difference of ~$300 less any gains made on Craig's List for the old model with dead bulb.

Unless you can get the bulb for under $100, a new panel with 2yrs warranty looks good.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7742 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
Philips is still a decent brand, and WalMart has the 46" on sale for $648
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
209 upvotes
wow all the people hating replacing the lamp here.

The way I look at it is like any other consumable product If its cheaper and more cost effective to replace the worn out unit with a replacement part then go that way. 100-200 for a like new 50 inch tv or 1000 for a 52inch lcd/plasma? hmmm i wonmde3r what route makes sense. Unless your printing money then I would go with the cheaper option
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
If you may still have some use of the old TV -> Do both...

Buy a lamp, repair it and use the RPTV occasionally.

ALSO, buy a new TV anyways LOL.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)