Computers & Electronics

Can someone recommend a wireless router?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2011 3:56 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 28, 2010
14 posts
NL

Can someone recommend a wireless router?

There are so many, and I am not very technical, so I have no idea which to buy. I have to buy online because there are no stores in my area. Thanks for any recs!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
Do you need wireless-N or not?
Do you need to bypass throttling for torrents or not?
What's your budget?

That info may help some of the advice-givers.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
Netgear WNDR37AV or WNDR3700 (later revisions are identical). Very good wireless range, lots of CPU and RAM, supports many connections. Not very customizable compared to 3rd party firmwares, but fine for most people. A bit pricey, but they were recently $99; not sure if they still are at BB/FS.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Or a refurb'ed Linksys from Futureshop for $69.

Link.

I have the refurb'ed 160 & 320.

The 310 comes with Gigabit ports - 10/100/1000 and are an added bonus for any devices that support Gigabit speeds.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
81 upvotes
Vacillator wrote: Netgear WNDR37AV or WNDR3700 (later revisions are identical). Very good wireless range, lots of CPU and RAM, supports many connections. Not very customizable compared to 3rd party firmwares, but fine for most people. A bit pricey, but they were recently $99; not sure if they still are at BB/FS.

I recently had a bad experience with the 3700, and the same comment was echo'd on DSLreports: Netgear routers are generally bad from a wi-fi range perspective.

I was looking to upgrade from a WRT54GL/Tomato to get GigE and n-wireless, however, after disconnecting the Linksys and properly setting up the Netgear (same location in the basement), I had devices on the 2nd floor that couldn't get a signal. I unplugged the Netgear, put the Linksys back and those same devices connected in <4 seconds.

In retrospect, I was happy to return the Netgear after also confirming that while it's supported on dd-wrt, it isn't on (my preferred) Tomato.

All round the 3700 specs are amazing and it's a lot of router for the money (I paid $119), but it might not be a good choice in a larger home. For the same ballpark price, you can get a Cisco/Linksys WRT610N (cheaper than it's essentially re-branded cousin, the E3000) that will support dd-wrt AND Tomato, and offer better wireless range.
Dec 28, 2010
14 posts
NL
Nook wrote: Do you need wireless-N or not?
Do you need to bypass throttling for torrents or not?
What's your budget?

That info may help some of the advice-givers.
Thank you for the replies guys. To the above poster, I do not have a clue, lol..just wanted something for my laptop at home!