Computers & Electronics

Help! How to contact Microsoft to report counterfeit to exchange for legit copy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2011 8:46 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts

Help! How to contact Microsoft to report counterfeit to exchange for legit copy?

I have a friend who is not very computer savvy, and purchased a copy of Windows 7 from craigslist. The purchase was made in person. The box with shrinkwrapped and even has a certificate on it.

She showed it to me, and I spotted it immediately to be a fake. It is an extremely well produced counterfeit, even with a fake hologram.

The seller, obviously, no longer asks the phone or email. I suspect the person is a scammer who likes to take extremely high risk to meet buyers and not worry about getting busting (sooner or later).

I recall that it is possible to report this to Microsoft and show them the counterfeit. If there is a reasonably looking counterfeit, you are supposed to get a free genuine copy for reporting this.

Is this correct? If so, how do I do this for her?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
I think in this case you shd contact the police too. Counterfeits and scams are criminal activities.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: I think in this case you shd contact the police too. Counterfeits and scams are criminal activities.

Would they really care though? The stores at Pacific Mall and various other Asian malls sell counterfeit movies on a mass scale with little resistance.

Would the police really care enough to investigate a one off counterfeit?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
kennyhohoho wrote: Would they really care though? The stores at Pacific Mall and various other Asian malls sell counterfeit movies on a mass scale with little resistance.

Would the police really care enough to investigate a one off counterfeit?
I don't know. AFAIK the movies sold in those malls are not exactly counterfeits (they are not fakes of the real movies, not even the package) and they are not scams (they are the real thing)
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: I don't know. AFAIK the movies sold in those malls are not exactly counterfeits (they are not fakes of the real movies, not even the package) and they are not scams (they are the real thing)

A lot of them are actually. Right down to the packaging and printing of the movie covers on the discs themselves.

The dead giveaway is the price of them, usually $5 a piece or less. So people buying them are well aware they aren't the real thing.

As far as getting a genuine copy of Windows because of this, I'd have to say your chances are slim to nil. If they did, wouldn't everybody just buy counterfeits, report them, and claim a free genuine copy?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2599 posts
122 upvotes
buying a counterfit version doesn't somehow make her entitled to the real version for free, so don't be surprised if your request doesn't get very far.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
mariokarter wrote: buying a counterfit version doesn't somehow make her entitled to the real version for free, so don't be surprised if your request doesn't get very far.

"Oh hi, Birk's Jewlery? Yeah, I bought a Birk's 15 carat diamond ring off craigslist and it turns out it was a fake. So, please exchange it for a real one at your earliest convience. KTHX!"
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
0xffff wrote: "Oh hi, Birk's Jewlery? Yeah, I bought a Birk's 15 carat diamond ring off craigslist and it turns out it was a fake. So, please exchange it for a real one at your earliest convience. KTHX!"

seriously. the request makes absolutely no sense. why in the hell would MS just give you a free copy of windows because you happen to have a fake one???
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
Free replacement of counterfeit copies is a myth (I asked a Microsoft Evangelist and he laughed).

This falls under the "if it's too good to be true" umbrella of life lessons.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
kennyhohoho wrote: A lot of them are actually. Right down to the packaging and printing of the movie covers on the discs themselves.
Right, but they are copies not counterfeits and they are not presented/sold as being originals. They don't say: "this is the original movie, the same as the one in BBV".
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
kennyhohoho wrote: They don't have to say they are the original to be considered counterfeit.

Well, apparently they are not, as you noticed the police isn't (or rarely) taking any action
Aug 2, 2010
88 posts
2 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: Well, apparently they are not, as you noticed the police isn't (or rarely) taking any action

so its legal for some chinese guy to make a copy, print out fake labels and sell it, but its illegal for me to download the same copy for personal use?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
arm2000 wrote: Well, apparently they are not, as you noticed the police isn't (or rarely) taking any action

So you haven't seen the numerous raids taking place at these places?

Come on, seriously. You don't have an argument here.

Oh - and to OP - yeah that's never gonna happen.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote: So you haven't seen the numerous raids taking place at these places?
Argument for what? And I wasn't the one who said police is doing very little about this.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes

That's precisely my point. The police hardly ever go after anybody selling counterfeit games, movies, software, etc.

They don't go after the people selling movies at pacific mall, so why would they go after some guy on craigslist selling Windows?

The only counterfeits I think the police really take seriously, is if you're counterfeiting money.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote: So you haven't seen the numerous raids taking place at these places?

Oh - and to OP - yeah that's never gonna happen.

Those "raids" are a bit of a joke. They get a slap on the wrist at most and are back in operation in a week or so.

And that's for MASS counterfeiting. So imagine how much they would care if it's some guy selling a copy or two of Windows on Craigslist.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2808 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary
mikeinaus wrote: so its legal for some chinese guy to make a copy, print out fake labels and sell it, but its illegal for me to download the same copy for personal use?

when you download, you're only borrowing on the interwebs from some friend in another part of the world! :lol:
RIG SPECS: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO X570 - Ryzen 9 5900x @ 5GHz - XPG 32GB @ 3200MHz - MSI RTX 4090 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W G2 PSU - AORUS Gen 4 M.2 1TB SSD
HEATWARE
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
OP, if you report to Microsoft, they may think you try to scam them ;) Buying stuff from a Microsoft authorized dealer, then that is different story.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)