Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga

Need help to format and locate external drive

I decided it was time to start backing up my Acer Aspire Laptop and purchased a Rocketfish Sata 3.5 hard drive enclosure (I had a 1TB internal harddrive I have never used) for this purpose.

I have installed the CDs and set it up the Roxio software correctly, however I can't locate the drive (it is connected by USB). It is not coming up automatically, it is not appearing in Disk Management.

How do I format this drive to enable the system to locate it? Where can I find it? I've been searching online for hours and cant find an answer other then Dick Management, and the drive is not appearing there.

Can anyone help me?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Is it in device manager?
Did you try it on another computer?
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Nothing like it shows in device manager, and I only have the one computer to try this on. There has to be a way to do this, otherwise why would people buy a harddrive to backup??? :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Where did you buy this? Rocketfish sounds like an FS/BB overpriced brand. Look at NCIX/Canada Computers/Bewawa if you did buy it from FS/BB.

Maybe the drive doesn't work, or the enclosure or the cable is bad. There's no way to test it unless you have another system.

Does it power on, do you hear the disk spinning when you turn it on?

Plug it in and see if it's recognized in BIOS. Not 100% sure on that.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
taylyn wrote:... Rocketfish Sata 3.5 hard drive enclosure (I had a 1TB internal harddrive I have never used) for this purpose...
If that Rocketfish is model RF-AHD35, it does not support 1 TB hard drives.
The RF-AHD35 supports hard drives up to 750GB.