Computers & Electronics

Any companies other than Bell/Rogers that own the network and don't have to pay them?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2011 8:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada

Any companies other than Bell/Rogers that own the network and don't have to pay them?

There are many smaller companies like Acanac, AEI, TekSavy that resell internet from those 2 big monopolies. Are there any companies that actually own the network don't have to rent anything from Bell?
I've heard that In Quebec there are some for internet and they were able to offer 24mb internet for a long time now for less than $50/unlimited with no caps. That's because they are not going through Bell or Rogers and own the network.
Is that true? Any in Toronto?
35 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Allstream
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
Unfortunately, Allstream only appears to be for businesses and not for home consumers so there still isn't anything.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Nettles wrote: Unfortunately, Allstream only appears to be for businesses and not for home consumers so there still isn't anything.

Is someone have a home based business, would they be able to get Allstream?
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Keigotw wrote: Is someone have a home based business, would they be able to get Allstream?

No, unless one was willing to commit to paying for enough facilities/infrastructure to bring service to one's house.

For instance, someone could theoretically attach to Allstream at one of their POPs in the GTA, rent fibre from a provider to get the signal to a Bell CO, and then rent dry pairs to transfer the signals from the CO to one's house. The cost of this venture in terms of equipment and engineering would cost you many tens of thousands of dollars in engineering, equipment costs, etc., and you would still have to rent dry pairs from Bell and pay the costs of co-location in their CO.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
There is EyeSurf which is currently only available in Kitchener-Waterloo area.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
The US has a tonne of satellite internet companies. Canada doesn't seem to have them yet and the ones they do have are pretty expensive with bandwidth caps.

These would be a solution for people not in apartments but the price sucks.
Nov 23, 2004
719 posts
21 upvotes
Quarry Bay
No. For the majority of homes, there is nothing besides Rogers/Bell wires entering the house. Thus, any ISP you use will be subject to charges from these two carriers. Unless you live in a MDU which offers services from other companies (TELUS Cityplace is a good example), you will be subject to using these two carrier's networks in most parts of Ontario and Quebec.

Fibernetics/Primus/Allstream/TELUS all have DSLAMs colocated in COs throughout parts of Bell territory. If you are within coverage of these DSLAMs, you will be exempt from UBB as Bell literally only provides the wire connecting your house to the central office. Currently, Teksavvy and a majority of third party providers use a lot more of Bell's facilities (DSLAM, AHSSPI, etc.) to connect their gear at the datacentre to Bell.

Out West, it's a way different story as TELUS offers substantially more competitive pricing in comparison to Bell. Not to mention they don't cap as of yet.

- Jason
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
jyeung wrote: No. For the majority of homes, there is nothing besides Rogers/Bell wires entering the house. Thus, any ISP you use will be subject to charges from these two carriers. Unless you live in a MDU which offers services from other companies (TELUS Cityplace is a good example), you will be subject to using these two carrier's networks in most parts of Ontario and Quebec.

Fibernetics/Primus/Allstream/TELUS all have DSLAMs colocated in COs throughout parts of Bell territory. If you are within coverage of these DSLAMs, you will be exempt from UBB as Bell literally only provides the wire connecting your house to the central office. Currently, Teksavvy and a majority of third party providers use a lot more of Bell's facilities (DSLAM, AHSSPI, etc.) to connect their gear at the datacentre to Bell.

Out West, it's a way different story as TELUS offers substantially more competitive pricing in comparison to Bell. Not to mention they don't cap as of yet.

- Jason

Yep - EyeSurf = Fibernetics which is why those in Kitchener-Waterloo have another option. If only there were more options that were able to advertise like this on their website today:

[IMG]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/3931/eyesurf.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Never say never
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Blackmajik wrote: Why did I just get hard reading that picture???

Because UBB creates the opposite effect.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
sillysimms wrote: Yep - EyeSurf = Fibernetics which is why those in Kitchener-Waterloo have another option. If only there were more options that were able to advertise like this on their website today:

[IMG]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/3931/eyesurf.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Too bad you can only get service when you're like ~3 km from their CO (3 of them? Kingsway, Water, Albert&Columbia), and I am too far away :(
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1685 posts
1122 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
I thought Shaw and Cogeco also owned their own line?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
kittypink wrote: I thought Shaw and Cogeco also owned their own line?

I'm not in Shaw/Cogeco territory, but aren't they capped as well?
Never say never
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
jyeung wrote: Fibernetics/Primus/Allstream/TELUS all have DSLAMs colocated in COs throughout parts of Bell territory. If you are within coverage of these DSLAMs, you will be exempt from UBB as Bell literally only provides the wire connecting your house to the central office. Currently, Teksavvy and a majority of third party providers use a lot more of Bell's facilities (DSLAM, AHSSPI, etc.) to connect their gear at the datacentre to Bell.
Despite Primus having their own DSLAMs in certain areas, they don't seem to be offering any unlimited.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: Too bad you can only get service when you're like ~3 km from their CO (3 of them? Kingsway, Water, Albert&Columbia), and I am too far away :(

Yup. I can't get their DSL on the west side of Waterloo. Strangely, they can offer me home phone service, which I'd think implies they are reselling Bell phone service. But a coworker 2 km away can't get DSL or phone from them.
Jan 16, 2009
242 posts
11 upvotes
Yak.ca also uses the Fibernetics lines I believe, and advertises uncapped internet.

According to their site they're in Kitchener-Waterloo, Barrie, and "some parts of Toronto"?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mark77 wrote: No, unless one was willing to commit to paying for enough facilities/infrastructure to bring service to one's house.

For instance, someone could theoretically attach to Allstream at one of their POPs in the GTA, rent fibre from a provider to get the signal to a Bell CO, and then rent dry pairs to transfer the signals from the CO to one's house. The cost of this venture in terms of equipment and engineering would cost you many tens of thousands of dollars in engineering, equipment costs, etc., and you would still have to rent dry pairs from Bell and pay the costs of co-location in their CO.

So there's NO way to get away from UBB? I know Robhellus actually has "Business" plans that home users can apply for, and provide unlimited bandwidth (at least right now they do), but I'm weary whether or not in the future they'll also be UBB-ed, and they are substantially more expensive ($55+ for Rogers for 8/1/un), plus, I'd still be supporting them which is not a pleasant feeling.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Jon Lai wrote: So there's NO way to get away from UBB? I know Robhellus actually has "Business" plans that home users can apply for, and provide unlimited bandwidth (at least right now they do), but I'm weary whether or not in the future they'll also be UBB-ed, and they are substantially more expensive ($55+ for Rogers for 8/1/un), plus, I'd still be supporting them which is not a pleasant feeling.
Not sure about non-Bell business plans, but according to this post from TS, Bell is going to scrutinize business plans now (or soon) to ensure they are in fact business plans (apparently used to be easy to do if you got a dry loop). Other providers will no doubt follow Bell's lead:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r25400065-
Never say never