Computers & Electronics

ASUS Eee Slate EP121 now at Best Buy for $999 (yay no markup!)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2011 4:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2764 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary

ASUS Eee Slate EP121 now at Best Buy for $999 (yay no markup!)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ ... AG0060.jpg[/IMG]

Didn't take a pic of the price tag... but it said $999, which is the same price as the US!
Overall it's really nice and thinner/lighter than I thought it would be. The IPS screen is beautiful with incredible viewing angles. Can't comment on much else, but it gives a really nice first impression.
65 replies
Jun 7, 2009
192 posts
124 upvotes
Which one did they have, the 32GB or 64GB version?

Also, which Best Buy was this at?
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
Wow, thats expensive for a tablet. It does have impressive specs but isnt it kinda overkill for a tablet? Maybe its just me.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2764 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
robot123 wrote: Which one did they have, the 32GB or 64GB version?

Also, which Best Buy was this at?

Oh I didn't know there were different versions... not sure about anything spec wise. This is at the Northland location in Calgary.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
Nook wrote: 3.5 hours of battery life? I'd pass.

Some articles are saying the Motorola Xoom has near 10 hours of battery life.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/106341/ ... honeyc.htm

Windows 7 vs. Android

Asus EEE slate is for people who need a full operating system in a slate form.

And doesn't the Asus have a pressure sensitive pen? It should be pretty nice for writing on. The 3.5 hours is a bummer but it'll be interesting to see what real world numbers look like.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
Stopped by my local Best Buy today, they didn't have one. It's not on their website. Was looking forward to playing around with one. Oh well, I'm looking to get the EP101 anyhow when that comes out next month.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1166 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
I played with one today at Yonge&Dundas Bestbuy Store. They had pricing for both $999 for 2/32GB 32bit Win7 and $1099 for 4/64gb 64bit Windows 7.
The kid said they had 3-4 each and sold out. They have 120 odd in warehouse and should sell like hotcakes. I wanted to buy right on the spot but must wait for more shipment. I am sure with some sort of Betbuy/Futureshop sale, the price should even be lower.

The fit and finish of the hardware is superb. The only thing I wish it had is the SIM slot. Weight is also for i5 windows7 tablet is managebale. The IPS screen (albeit glossy) is gorgeous 1280x800 and OK. I changed the font settings to 150% and this way it was easier to click close buttons using my nailless fingers.

Windows 7 is running on it very fine but one needs a better keyboard application IMO. I couldn't play with stylus since they took it away from the demo machine but I could use my fingers to write something and win7 recognized it correctly.

I unplugged the AC cord and used balanced power savings with highest brightness it was reporting 2.5 hr battery time.
I owned 4 lenovo x series laptops and tablets and the offering from Asus is definately a Lenovo x series killer. I hope the response from lenovo will be better.
Lenovo is also offering a simple tap application which is nice.
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... /SimpleTap
Version 2 will even be better so can't wait future couple months since I need to get one of these.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Simp ... m-p/358017
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1743 posts
265 upvotes
Montreal
Checked 3 stores in montreal and no stock of both, ids are
10162674 for the 64gb and 10162673 for the 32gb
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1166 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone who works Future Shop or Bestbuy let me know what is the cost price in the system?>
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1446 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
hugh_da_man wrote: Windows 7 vs. Android

Asus EEE slate is for people who need a full operating system in a slate form.

And doesn't the Asus have a pressure sensitive pen? It should be pretty nice for writing on. The 3.5 hours is a bummer but it'll be interesting to see what real world numbers look like.

The other big difference is it's Tegra 2 vs Core i5.

Given it's processor and OS, and that it ships with a BT keyboard, I would not treat this like a competitor to the ipad or android-based tablets.

If you want to compare to other tablets, the more appropriate comparison is the Eee Pad -- which is Tegra 2 and rated for 10 hours I believe (and alot cheaper too)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1743 posts
265 upvotes
Montreal
Preordered online at bestbuy.ca

Model is not the same as amazon.com, wonder if case and keyboard have been remove to keep the price the same
Dec 9, 2010
760 posts
111 upvotes
the slate must come with the keyboard and case...
i would also get this over icrap
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1743 posts
265 upvotes
Montreal
I wouldn't mind loosing the keyboard but as per numerous reviews, the case is very useful
May 23, 2006
243 posts
17 upvotes
Any other tablet models coming out with better battery life??
Are there any net/notebooks in this size range (12" and under) with touchscreens?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
SlyC wrote: Any other tablet models coming out with better battery life??
Are there any net/notebooks in this size range (12" and under) with touchscreens?

Asus' next model to be released (Early April) is the Asus EP101 Transformer. It comes with Honeycomb and has an 8 hour battery life and you can buy a dock for an extra $100 to turn it into a full netbook with a keyboard, mouse and an extra 8 hours battery life, so that's 16 hours total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGu_iJUaVE

Asus is also releasing a tablet with a slide out keyboard in May and a 7" tablet in June/July that comes with this capacitive pen thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1743 posts
265 upvotes
Montreal
SAN66 wrote: Asus' next model to be released (Early April) is the Asus EP101 Transformer. It comes with Honeycomb and has an 8 hour battery life and you can buy a dock for an extra $100 to turn it into a full netbook with a keyboard, mouse and an extra 8 hours battery life, so that's 16 hours total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGu_iJUaVE

Asus is also releasing a tablet with a slide out keyboard in May and a 7" tablet in June/July that comes with this capacitive pen thing.

Does that extra 100$ get you Windows? If not it doesn't turn it in a full netbook
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
WildParadise wrote: Does that extra 100$ get you Windows? If not it doesn't turn it in a full netbook

Why are people so stuck up on windows? There's an App in the android marketplace to do almost anything you can do in windows, and there's sure to be releases of Ubuntu that will run great on the EP101 if you don't want honeycomb.

Other than gaming or memory intensive applications, which suck/don't run on a netbook anyhow, why do you need windows?

Honeycomb is optimized for tablets, windows is not.

I still want to play around with the EP101 to see how honeycomb works with a keyboard/mouse when you plug it into the base.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)