Computers & Electronics

Should I get this SSD? It is a PATA SSD...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2011 1:05 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jan 4, 2010
1584 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto

Should I get this SSD? It is a PATA SSD...

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/KingSpec-SSD-2-5-ID ... 456wt_1139

I want to buy this because I want to speed up an old laptop and having a SSD for the near-instant access time would be good. Does anyone have any experience with this drive? How about the brand and reliability? What about all the tech details near the bottom, I don't understand all of it but is it a good drive? Overall, is the drive worthwhile to buy?
enon
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4927 posts
17525 upvotes
TORONTO
Best controllers are Intel and Sandforce, best bang-for-buck would be J-Micron with the new firmware. I would go with the last option if you are looking to speed up an old laptop. For newer builds, I would just wait until the next-gen controllers come out in the next few months - basically twice the specs or more. :twisted:
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
448 upvotes
Help me
Sustained Read

66MB/S

Sustained Write

35MB/S

Thats really low when you consider SATA SSDs are nearly 300MB/s. I think you're better off saving your money.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
When the Asus EEE netbook first came out, it used an SSD, but it was a horrible SSD, so bad that a normal HDD would destroy it. Just because it is an SSD does not mean it is faster than a HDD. The read and write on the SSD in the ebay auction is not much better than a USB drive.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Banned
Jan 4, 2010
1584 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
toalan wrote: When the Asus EEE netbook first came out, it used an SSD, but it was a horrible SSD, so bad that a normal HDD would destroy it. Just because it is an SSD does not mean it is faster than a HDD. The read and write on the SSD in the ebay auction is not much better than a USB drive.

It is true that the read and write speeds are low however this is a PATA SSD and there are not many options. The access time is good and that is what I am really interested in.
enon
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1120 posts
85 upvotes
Unfortunately, its a waste of time/money if you ask me. :(