Tags:
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York

ken drydens official response to UBB

Dear Mr. infamouskid,

I am writing in response to your recent letter regarding the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission’s (CRTC) decision to allow usage-based billing by Canadian Internet service providers (ISPs). The Liberal Party opposes this decision on several grounds.

Our first concern is the issue of fairness for Canadian consumers and Internet users. The CRTC ruling will impose a 25-gigabyte download cap on users in Ontario. By comparison, a typical U.S. Internet user enjoys a cap of 250 gigabytes. In light of the relatively low costs of providing internet service, this decision is particularly unfair to consumers.

Another major area of concern is the effect this ruling will have on Canadian productivity, innovation, and education. In an increasingly digital economy, it would be short-sighted for Canada to discourage small businesses, entrepreneurs, and non-profit organizations from maximizing the potential of the internet to their benefit. The same applies to our education and cultural institutions, which are constantly developing new ways of delivering information through internet media – many of which will be hindered by the CRTC’s decision.

Finally, this decision is at odds with the necessity to open up government to greater transparency and accountability. Recently, the Liberal Party announced a plan called the Open Government Initiative under which a Liberal government would make important public information available to Canadians through the Internet at no cost. Limiting Internet use restricts a government’s ability to connect with people through the internet.

The great promise of the Internet is that it can bring a world of knowledge, perspectives, and entertainment to Canadian homes. It is for this reason that my colleagues and I oppose the CRTC’s decision, and will overturn it as a Liberal government.

If you would like to join the Liberal Party’s opposition to the CRTC ruling, please visit http://lpc.ca/ubb.

Thank you for writing to me on this important matter.

Sincerely,

Ken Dryden

LOOKS LIKE WE ARE WINNING THIS FIGHT!
14 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
infamouskid wrote: LOOKS LIKE WE ARE WINNING THIS FIGHT!

Lol, because a member of the Opposition cockus wrote back to you?

Big deal. Wake me up when a Conservative MP writes such a letter back to you.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Mark77 wrote: Lol, because a member of the Opposition cockus wrote back to you?

Conservatives are a minority government entering into a possible election with an issue (probably the only major one) that would draw people to vote Liberal over Conservative. The generation most impacted by this decision is Generation X who are usually educated, have recently (relative) entered the workforce, and have not voted in prior elections (or have any particular affiliation/loyalty to a political party as prior generations). If you understand politics, this is the only "group" of the voters that Conservatives will care about.

The Conservatives will be shooting themselves in the foot not to come to some concessions on the issue. However, I doubt anything meaningful will happen even if Conservatives reverse the CRTC decision. The cabinet will likely call on for Bell/Shaw/Rogers/Telus to stop UBB (or implemented at a cheaper, "fairer" rate), and then ISPs will just lobby in 6-7 months (after elections) and have it re initiated with slightly less definite terms that may cause less people to care and less risk to the Conservative government. Since voters are not special interest groups, and we are widely dispersed with low interest or attention span on the issue; it is likely that the ISPs will win on this issue whether we like it or not (this is their business afterall). It will not matter if Liberals get elected as they will just do the same thing as well.

It is sad, but unfortunately that is how things will likely occur when someone has a duopoly/monopoly on the market. If the CRTC would loosen up on foreign ownership regulations, we might have something actually worthy of talking about though.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
Gee wrote: Is this the same Ken Dryden from the Montreal Canadiens?

The lawyer?

When did he become a politician?

Was also the GM of the Leafs at one point IIRC :p
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
1222 posts
293 upvotes
Oshawa
Gee wrote: Is this the same Ken Dryden from the Montreal Canadiens?

The lawyer?

When did he become a politician?
As was mentioned, he was elected in the 2004 election.

It is 'caucus'. Your spelling just looks lewd.

And having a member of any federal political party is a great sign, regardless of whether they be Conservative or one of the Opposition.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
1222 posts
293 upvotes
Oshawa
coriolis wrote: Was also the GM of the Leafs at one point IIRC :p

He was the team's President, not GM.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
When will people realize that the government doesn't give a **** about us, they'll just gouge and gouge and gouge to get more money from taxes.

If they think 25GB/month is a good number for EVERYONE then their obviously lieing to themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
venividivici wrote: He was the team's President, not GM.

I believe, he was also the GM for a period of time too. So I guess he was both.

But regardless, it's nice to see we're winning this fight.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1694 posts
1135 upvotes
GTA

Speak for yourself. I don't want the Opposition to "cock us" :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham

I got a call back from my Conservative MP. Maybe they care?