Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Archos 605 WiFi 30GB - Portable Media Player - $259 (DivX, Xvid, 800x480 touchscreen)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2008 6:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1787 posts
287 upvotes

[Apple] Archos 605 WiFi 30GB - Portable Media Player - $259 (DivX, Xvid, 800x480 touchscreen)

61 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4456 posts
565 upvotes
these things are loud... (not sure if it was just the unit I got to play with, but heavy + loud) + sig electronics ... err
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
May 27, 2006
71 posts
I am very happy with my Archos 605. Particularily like that I don't have to re-encode or transcode my divx files to play on this thing.

It sure helped to kill the time at the airport waiting for flights.

Was not willing to buy it at $330 when I was in at BestBuy on the 22nd of November. Luckily that friday it went on sale for $259, so it was a done deal for me.

One review I read said that USB charging is very slow, the optional mini-dock is recommended to get a fast charge.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1787 posts
287 upvotes
these things are loud... (not sure if it was just the unit I got to play with, but heavy + loud) + sig electronics ... err
Loud? Not at all... must have been the unit you had. Mine is dead quiet with the media volume turned all the way down. There isn't any mechanical noise to speak of.

Re: weight - If the iPod Touch is a benchmark at 120grams, the Archos is 190 grams which is marginally heavier.

One other comparison to the iPod Touch - it has a 160ppi (pixels per inch) screen whereas the Archos is 200ppi.

C.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1787 posts
287 upvotes
Hawkmielle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2007 4:34 pm
One review I read said that USB charging is very slow, the optional mini-dock is recommended to get a fast charge.
Agreed. About 8 hours via USB (depending on your PC) and around 4 hours with any of the various docking stations.

I let it charge overnight so it's ready in the morning.

C.
Dec 23, 2003
62 posts
I'd like to find similar device with 5-6" screen, Wifi and GPS.
Does it exist?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
30 upvotes
.....appears that the CDN prices are much closer to the US ones these days..

Amazon US= $269

The 604 wifi..is $200 at Amazon US....best price seeen.

I am considering the 705.(7" screen)...with lower price...it just came out.
For me just another toy to see how it all comes together.
:twisted:
Feb 17, 2002
910 posts
18 upvotes
Edmonton
The docks are a pain.. I've lost my mini dock already.

1 week old :(

Why can't they just make an integrated charging mechanism?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
30 upvotes
Taiphun wrote:
Dec 6th, 2007 5:18 pm
The docks are a pain.. I've lost my mini dock already.

1 week old :(

Why can't they just make an integrated charging mechanism?

How does one lose a mini dock that easy??
:twisted:
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11815 posts
20 upvotes
Too bulky for me (vs iphone/ipod touch). It's not the weight but the overall size. Sure the screen resolution is pretty awesome (rivals my Nokia n800) and the $/GB is great but it feels too "engineer" in look.
I'll wait for the improved 606 model ;)

I do own the Archos 402CC model (with camera/camcorder and such a good dpad and placement of buttons I can use it very well for NES/Sega master system emulation) and the fact you do NOT have to convert any of your xvid/divx content is a huge huge plus. Shame though that Archos has resorted to nickel and diming you for the extras like a browser. Dragging and dropping is also pretty awesome, no need to be tied to a separate bloatware program like iTunes.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5024 posts
573 upvotes
I can't seem to find a consistent answer online but does this play DivX and Xvid?
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11815 posts
20 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2007 6:23 pm
I can't seem to find a consistent answer online but does this play DivX and Xvid?
YES it does. That's one of the best things about the Archos devices.
but with a caveat, some files have weird audio bitrates and it may be hit/miss.
Mostly pretty compatible based on my use of the Archos 402, 604.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)