Arc'teryx Atom LT or Patagonia Nano-Air jacket

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 12:36 pm
[OP]
Oct 5, 2008
216 posts
54 upvotes

Arc'teryx Atom LT or Patagonia Nano-Air jacket

After the tragic loss of my beloved ancient MEC Northern Lite (left it on a bus after a transatlantic flight) I need a new jacket and it seems these are the candidates but gosh, the price. Any good ideas on how to get 'em cheaper? Men L or perhaps XL. I will live with whatever color is on sale.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2416 posts
183 upvotes
Winnipeg
I had a $450 Arc'teryx in hand and couldn't tell the difference in quality, fit, feel over my $99 Marshalls Columbia Frost Fighter.

I was hoping the Arc would blow the Columbia away as I wanted a long term jacket but it didn't. Wasn't even made in Canada like some of their stuff apparently is.

MEC is still making some.nixe jackets and you can't beat their warranty. My MEC jacket started shedding down after a year and they took it back no questions asked.
Jun 12, 2007
504 posts
160 upvotes
MEC jackets dont come close to arcteryx quality. Arcteryx jackets havent been made in Canada for a good decade, but they still have a great guarantee.
My Atom got a lil hole after 6 years, they couldnt fix it, told me to pick out a new one from their website and it was shipped to me free.
I have the Atom thats warmer than the LT (without the stretch sides), and its my only jacket for all seasons. Got me through -40 winters in Banff and +10 days without making me sweat buckets.

A lot of arcteryx stuff is overpriced these days, but the Atom jacket is their prized posession for a reason. Check out thelasthunt or even steep n cheap for half price sales. Might have to have one shipped to buffalo to get the best deal.
Jun 12, 2007
504 posts
160 upvotes
Also check out the Sail stores for ~25-30% off on boxing day.
Sportium, altitudesports, vpo, and lacordee are your best online bets for discounts around boxing day. Try one on in store first and then go nuts online.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2416 posts
183 upvotes
Winnipeg
@kingkelly

Is this the Atom you are referring to? If so, I may have to take another look. I wasn't overly impressed with the Cerium LT. But to be fair, it want my first choice as sportchek cancelled my order due to no stock on the one I wanted, so I was already in a bad mood

Atom AR:. https://arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/mens/atom-ar-hoody
Jun 12, 2007
504 posts
160 upvotes
These newer ones are printed on but I think because theyre reflective. But to your point, also because theyre cutting costs lol
The LT has some stretchy sides that arent insulated (what OP wants), and the AR is the one thats got a bit more insulation.
'
Pretty friggin expensive now all these things.

This Montane jacket is half price now, pretty comparable in insulation, fancy english company.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2008
216 posts
54 upvotes
Sniff, I do not like the hood :( I wanted a non-hooded version :( otherwise it'd be wonderful.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2383 posts
1992 upvotes
GTA
kingkelly wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 3:19 pm
These newer ones are printed on but I think because theyre reflective. But to your point, also because theyre cutting costs lol
The LT has some stretchy sides that arent insulated (what OP wants), and the AR is the one thats got a bit more insulation.
'
Pretty friggin expensive now all these things.

This Montane jacket is half price now, pretty comparable in insulation, fancy english company.
VPO seems to be always discounting Montane, makes me wonder about quality.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15682 posts
7968 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
kingkelly wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 3:19 pm
Also printing doesn't compromise waterproof fabric like stitching, especially embroidery. I realize they could then apply waterproof tape over the back of the stitching but that's not very durable. Indeed the taping is usually a point of failure on Gore-Tex and similar outerwear.

Sometimes the cheaper solution is also the better one.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 12, 2007
504 posts
160 upvotes
Thelasthunt.com has all their jackets at 50% off right now. Sizes limited, sale will go down to 60% off after Xmas but your size might be gone.