• Apr 28th, 2017 2:13 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 23, 2011
4 posts
Kitchener

Aritzia: You May Want to Re-Think Your Purchase

You walk into the store. There's been so much hype about their product over the years, you're proud that their Canadian, you want to know more about them but you realize that once you buy something from them, the friendly service and the positive attitude about their product is nowhere to be seen.

Everyone knows that their coats are ridiculously priced. At a whopping $275 with tax it comes to exactly $310.75. What is the hype? Why did I do it? I have been hearing girls rave about their jackets for the past few years, my best friend wanted one so badly that it took her 3 years to actually muster up the courage to buy it and actually keep it (she bought one previously and ended up returning it not being able to justify spending $310.75 on a coat but she finally did it). Moving forward.

You walk in seeing these "fashionistas" hard at work convincing anybody and everybody who walks in that their product will last and that they can be trusted.

Perhaps some of you will argue that I should have known better than to fall for corporate BS but considering they have been speaking highly of their coats (I'm not too keen on their "fashionable/trendy" clothing line) and as a consumer who is easily affected by the cold weather, I took a chance.

A month and a half in (bought Nov 6, 2010), I was happy, the coat did it's job and I loved the features on it; mostly because the coat was so versatile. However, I noticed that one day, that the magnetic logo clasp on the left arm, had fallen off. I was pretty peeved. More so because I put my faith in this coat and it didn't hold its end of the bargain. I would understand if this was picked off the street for $10 but for $310.75, a button falling off a month and a half in, fully paid for by my hard earned dollars? Incredible.

Dec 11th, I went back to the mall and reported that this button had fallen off, a concerned looking employee (I could tell you, she was the only one who seem to sympathize with me) said she would speak to her manager. The manager turned out to be some stuck-up girl with a clipboard who didn't give two loads of horse crap about my issue.

She didn't come up to me and apologize for the inconvenience, didn't even take a look at the coat to see what happened, she hung onto her precious clipboard stood 5 feet from me, distracted by something else, and had the nerve to tell me that she would check with the warehouse but she couldn't guarantee anything. I couldn't even ask her a question cause she was that uninterested and "busy" with some other "pressing" matter at hand. Apparently she would let me know the status and got one of her minions to take down my number.

I laughed leaving the store that day, thinking wow, what a change from the day I purchased the coat. Even if she had mentioned that she couldn't guarantee anything but we would eventually work something out depending on the evaluation of my said coat, I wouldn't have been so livid. Especially when I had the receipt to prove this wasn't some sort of sham.

Dec 16th, I hadn't heard anything so I called myself for updates (which I shouldn't have had to do, but I let this one go). I talked to another manager 'PJ' who told me that they haven't heard anything but he would e-mail the warehouse again then give me a call within 24-48 hours. When I asked what would happen if they couldn't find replacements, he said he couldn't guarantee anything but if they could not do so they would check out the coat and handle it from there.

I was pleased by this response, at least I didn't have the SOL feeling that I got when I walked out of the store. I waited for their call on the Monday, gave them till Tuesday even. Dragged it out till Wednesday based on the estimated time I was provided with. I had to call back myself again, on the 24th, perhaps they could argue it's a busy time in the season. Not my problem. I spoke to yet another manager, Melissa who told me that they had received the replacements and that I can come in (thanks for letting me know). She pointed out that since my coat will be sent away and if I didn't have another winter coat to hold me over a couple of days then it would probably be best if I came by later on. I agreed.

Jan 8th, I took time to brave the mall on the first weekend of its traditional post-Christmas, Christmas present return party to drop off my coat for repairs. I ended up talking to another manager (didn't catch her name) who eventually got me the replacement button which turned out to be the entire strap. To my surprise, she handed me the strap and said that I could take it to my tailor.

MY TAILOR????? Really. I asked "so you want me to take this to my tailor?...you know this coat is a month and a half old, right?" (as nicely as I could muster with the anger boiling inside of me). She nodded (dumbstruck look) and said "yeah". WOW. I told her that I spoke to a manager named Melissa a couple of weeks before and was told then that this coat would be sent away. Another dumbstruck look of realization of who I was, which I could only assume crossed her face cause SHE was Melissa.

I just stood there looking at her right back, I guess that's when she decided she better take the coat. I was told then that they would send my coat to 'Stitch It' and I would have it back by Friday. I'm looking at her in disbelief, I was told a couple of days but now it's an entire week? I was tired of having to call myself about a failed product and having to drive back and forth to talk to a manager face-to-face.

My response next was to tell her that, this had become really inconvenient for me and that I would rather just return the coat altogether. What she said next is why I will never support Aritzia in any way shape or form and why now I am looking to sell my coat. She handed me an extra strap saying that I could keep it just in case it happens again. REALLY? Just in case, it happens again. Way to back up your product. But even worse, she tells me that they cannot accept returns on the coat because it is "damaged, defective and has been worn".

No **** Sherlocks, coat has definitely been worn, it's definitely defective because of product failure and it's not "damaged" cause if it was, there would be evidence of some sort of button prying or marks left behind by a knife. And why the hell would I be sitting around fighting with a button to fall off, only to make the trip to ask for it to be repaired? Guess I'm a lunatic. She continued to say that their doing their part by fixing the coat. Yeah, I guess you are, AFTER I mentioned that someone said they would have it sent away.

I guess if another blinded customer walked in with the same situation and nobody told her her coat can be sent away and that they would do just that, Aritzia's policy after a month and a half on a $310.75 coat is to tell the customer to take their replacement strap, go to their tailor and pay for it themselves.

I'm not saying customers are always 100% correct or legit considering I have worked in retail but working in the customer service industry in general for the past 8 years teaches you, about the importance of how you word sentences. It could make the difference in the world handling a customer who is already irate and the outcome of the situation. But what do I know, I'm just another ignorant consumer living in the Universe of Dumbassery, right?

If this coat was two years old and required a replacement button (not a threaded button, a magnetic button that requires professional adhesive that I cannot repair myself) and Aritzia said they would help me out, at least then I would be grateful but this experience ruined my view on the company, its employees, and its products.

I purchased this coat from Kitchener store location at Fairview Park Mall, it's the Verbier - Knee-Length Parka (removable hood/fur trim line) in XS Black (2-6) for anyone who is interested in purchasing it from me at reduced price and really want an Aritzia coat despite my review (andlifegoeson@hotmail.com). It's in perfect condition (strap has been fixed) and I can give you the receipt to go with it. I can no longer keep this coat with the bad taste that I have been left with.

Just a forewarning for those looking to buy their coats from this company.
78 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23615 posts
1561 upvotes
Hamilton
tl;dr

you probably want to make a thread about Canada Goose jackets too
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4276 posts
184 upvotes
I admit I didn't read your entire post because it was a bit long winded. I own the same coat and have had no problems with it. I have friends who own the same coat and have had no problems with it. In fact, I've had mine for three years and it still looks brand new. I hesitated to buy it in the first place because everybody and their sister seems to own that coat. But for the price and the style and the warmth, I really couldn't find anything comparable. I really don't believe that when you spend more money things turn out to be better quality nor does the price you pay for something parallel the customer service that comes with it. I find that just isn't the case these days which is sad but true. Sucks what happened to you and the way they followed up the issue but I still speak pretty highly of the coat. As for their customer service, I'm not too surprised and think that's pretty average for retail stores these days.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2011
4 posts
Kitchener
amz155 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2011 4:36 pm
I admit I didn't read your entire post because it was a bit long winded. I own the same coat and have had no problems with it. I have friends who own the same coat and have had no problems with it. In fact, I've had mine for three years and it still looks brand new. I hesitated to buy it in the first place because everybody and their sister seems to own that coat. But for the price and the style and the warmth, I really couldn't find anything comparable. I really don't believe that when you spend more money things turn out to be better quality nor does the price you pay for something parallel the customer service that comes with it. I find that just isn't the case these days which is sad but true. Sucks what happened to you and the way they followed up the issue but I still speak pretty highly of the coat. As for their customer service, I'm not too surprised and think that's pretty average for retail stores these days.

Overall, it seems that people acknowledge the fact that retail stores can disrespect you while selling you a "quality" product but it's not acceptable. I'm a reasonable person, I'm coming to you with a legit concern/issue, as long as you do your best to help me out and do so with respect, I wouldn't mind coming back to buy more from your store etc.

And it's true, price doesn't always reflect how much of a better quality or level of customer service you receive, look at Le Chateau, their a great example of merchandise that fall apart $200+ later. But why make a product that's going to fail, then complain about the people who are having problems with it? And why would you expect them to even consider buying your product when you A) sold them a not-so-well-through product and B) give them hell for even coming to report the issue?

Being average doesn't make a great business and I'm just hopeful for a different mentality/standard to uphold or take place. You can say whatever but to continue supporting a company that spends money on their employees (employee incentives etc) only to have their employees handle minor situations such as mine the way they did, wouldn't make sense. Especially since the money I spend eventually pays for their paycheques and their daily/monthly quota bonuses. Where would these companies be without consumers fueling their business?

Maybe I'm just complicating the matter when I can just shut up, buy the product and move on with my life if it fails but if anyone is expecting money from me when they can't show me a little respect when I have an issue with their "AWESOME" product, I'm taking my business elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1995 posts
142 upvotes
Yeah the post is a tad long so you lose readers interest through it but hopefully you can sell it. I recently sold a Talula Babaton parka on Kijiji and got lots of interest. You should try and sell it there. For $20-$40 more (depending on last year's model or this year's) you can get a really well made (made in Canada), down filled OSC parka. Definitely better than the Aritzia ones. GL selling your coat.
Sep 25, 2009
131 posts
11 upvotes
i read bits and pieces of it.

the manager seemed like they did wat they could and even offered giv u an extra strap. aritzia isn't really high end store claiming for service and millions of highschool girls go in and out of that store daily. there was no way the manager would remember such isolated incidents, though she should of followed up.

the taking it to a tailor part is pretty stupid i must agree though... for a 1month old coat.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
33 upvotes
Etobicoke
tl;dr

this isnt an essay for school
Kherani wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:30 pm
I'm getting my learners permit soon, and I understand that you need to do a written test. Whenever I ask my older friends about it, they tell me to read "the book". What is this book they're referring to?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1254 posts
29 upvotes
I know people that have worn their jackets for years with no problem.
Have you considered the fact that you could have damaged the jacket? The store doesn't have to do anything to help you, atleast they gave you a strap...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4923 posts
1051 upvotes
Kanata
You should probably cut down some paragraphs so people who read and know the problems. Stuff happens, and it seems like a one off thing. Anyone would've had the same problem as you had, especially during Christmas time. Did you know if someone buys a laptop from FS/BB without warranty, like most, after 14 days/30 days (not sure) they would've had to deal with the manufacturer. The store will not do a thing for you and they have no obligation to.

I agree they should've handled the situation better. Should've kept their word and not have lied to you, but now it looks like your problem is solved, why don't you enjoy the jacket and forget about it. It's a good jacket, there was a defect, it's fixed. You're just going to create more headache by trying to sell it online. Sure it will go well, but there's also a chance it might not. The store already has your money, they take zero loss when you sell it to someone. Overtime the anger will subside and you'll enjoy the warmth that it provides!

That's my 2cents.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5847 posts
779 upvotes
Mississauga
My sister bought a coat a couple of years ago from Aritzia Fairview Mall. Paid approx. the same price and the buttons started falling apart. She brought it right back and demanded they repair the buttons since they would not give her an exchange or refund. The manager personally brought the coat to the Stitch It in the mall and had it back in an hour. Since then, the buttons are still falling off and my sister won't wear her coat anymore.

Aside from that, I bought a jacket on sale from Aritzia a few years ago and its still going strong.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
Wow, I actually read your whole post and I can feel the anger/frustration in you. Hell, I would've done the same thing you've done...

I don't even shop at Aritzia, but I'm glad I don't after reading your post/review.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5555 posts
71 upvotes
^ of course you don't shop at Aritzia. you fancier than that. shop only at holts.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6783 posts
279 upvotes
Ottawa
Man...I actually read that massive essay you wrote!! Anyway, why on earth did you buy a jacket you did not like nor a brand you want? My sister has the same parka and it's still going strong 5 months later. It's a great coat for the style, price and warmth. You think you can get a decent looking parka without a huge price tag that will also be warm? Maybe you should have bought a North Face parka instead as the cost is about the same priced but I think North Face may have a better warranty service than what you got at Aritzia. Oh, my North Face is very well made and just as good as the Aritzia one when you compare warmth. Looks wise the North Face may not be as good but I like it and that's all that matters! :D

Btw, why not just enjoy the jacket and calm down. There are too many bad customer service folks out there to get all worked up over. Remember, less stress equals less wrinkles ;)
Mar 28, 2010
842 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
I'm not reading that bible post. I'm just here just cause.. :confused: