Off Topic

Armed robbery at Markville around 6 today.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2019 4:00 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1896 posts
711 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:16 pm
* I'm saying someone else is working you up, I'm not doing anything, yet you assumed WRONGLY YET AGAIN.

There's such thing as being brave yet being foolish/stupid, that was that woman. You think they are either or, which is false.

More tranquility dude....
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
Don't know if someone brought this up already. Perhaps, it's time to ask for a receipt if you are proposed to. Who knows where your jewellery is coming from after this incident.

The only problem is, you don't know how much the price really is.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1221 posts
1066 upvotes
Catnippy wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 9:24 pm
Only if you have the required skills
aka be a policeman. Don't encourage others to harm themselves.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41094 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 11:39 pm
In Canada the only private security guards that can be armed are cash-in-transit guards/armoured car guards. Even then, they're taught to comply/disengage and retreat in the event of a robbery.
The jewelery store could have technically hired an armed guard with a pistol.
But its cheaper to insure items and just complywith robbery demand. Its what most do.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4689 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:03 am
The jewelery store could have technically hired an armed guard with a pistol.
But its cheaper to insure items and just complywith robbery demand. Its what most do.
I've heard of armed guards at jewelry stores and other places where the have high-value property, but I'm not quite sure of the legality of it. I doubt that the Chief Firearms Officer, when they issued the ATC, had that purpose in mind.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8597 posts
1014 upvotes
MSZsama wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 8:13 pm
Lukfook left the Toronto market two decades ago after an armed robbery at their Pacific Mall store. I predict the same thing is going to happen.
Organized crime (non asian). Pure gold robbery. No one wants the crap 18k gold in western chain. Indian and Chinese 24k gold.

Lukfook need to hire guns for hire to protect their stores.

I am sure police can catch all the criminals. Need to waterboard him to get the intel.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8597 posts
1014 upvotes
toguy wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 10:25 pm
That's nuts - people in there must have been terrified - no idea if active shooter situation, etc.

Close up pics of the resulting damage:

They need 3M security glass. Hammer proof.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41094 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 2:53 am
I've heard of armed guards at jewelry stores and other places where the have high-value property, but I'm not quite sure of the legality of it. I doubt that the Chief Firearms Officer, when they issued the ATC, had that purpose in mind.
100% legal.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/one-pe ... -1.2179285
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes

actually you're wrong. i hate it when kids say something 100% but are actually wrong

in canada, you can only carry a firearm if you are an armed courier. meaning brinks, etc. you CAN NOT be armed as a bodyguard.

Further, the firearm is not for protecticting the merchandise. Its for protecting HUMAN LIFE

"Kleiman said the rules are clear according to the Ontario use of force model, which is an essential part of the training necessary to be licensed as an armed guard or armed courier in Ontario. Security guards are expected to consider firearms as a last resort against a threat to their lives, and even then, only to neutralize the attacker.

"Firearms cannot be used for any other reason, they cannot be used to protect liabilities (cash, jewelry etc.), they cannot be used for retaliation or for apprehension etc," Kleiman said.

While firearms can only be used to defend human life if there is a perceived threat, the laws dictate that firearms are only to be carried by security guards overseeing the transportation of precious goods.

“You can’t carry a firearm for guarding people,” Menary said. “It has to be for precious metals, diamonds and jewelry, cash and assets, things that are moved back and forth. The legislation is straight forward.”

Menary says armed security guards in Canada work for agencies that have to be licensed federally and provincially. Federally, the RCMP look after licensing program and guards must have a PAL licence (Possession Acquisition Licence) allowing an individual to carry a gun.

Guards undergo background checks, then get training for firearms, after which they can be hired as armed guards. Once they’re active, they’re monitored by the chief firearms officer of OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) and expected to follow strict rules about the use of those firearms."
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41094 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:23 am
actually you're wrong. i hate it when kids say something 100% but are actually wrong

in canada, you can only carry a firearm if you are an armed courier. meaning brinks, etc. you CAN NOT be armed as a bodyguard.

Further, the firearm is not for protecticting the merchandise. Its for protecting HUMAN LIFE

"Kleiman said the rules are clear according to the Ontario use of force model, which is an essential part of the training necessary to be licensed as an armed guard or armed courier in Ontario. Security guards are expected to consider firearms as a last resort against a threat to their lives, and even then, only to neutralize the attacker.

"Firearms cannot be used for any other reason, they cannot be used to protect liabilities (cash, jewelry etc.), they cannot be used for retaliation or for apprehension etc," Kleiman said.

While firearms can only be used to defend human life if there is a perceived threat, the laws dictate that firearms are only to be carried by security guards overseeing the transportation of precious goods.

“You can’t carry a firearm for guarding people,” Menary said. “It has to be for precious metals, diamonds and jewelry, cash and assets, things that are moved back and forth. The legislation is straight forward.”

Menary says armed security guards in Canada work for agencies that have to be licensed federally and provincially. Federally, the RCMP look after licensing program and guards must have a PAL licence (Possession Acquisition Licence) allowing an individual to carry a gun.

Guards undergo background checks, then get training for firearms, after which they can be hired as armed guards. Once they’re active, they’re monitored by the chief firearms officer of OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) and expected to follow strict rules about the use of those firearms."
Um. Thx for reiterating and providing proof that it is 100% legal my dear.
Hope you have a good day hon. :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8094 posts
1543 upvotes
Toronto
Have these robbers been caught yet? I'd be surprised if they got away with such a brazen robbery.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5153 posts
1090 upvotes
Thornhill
You know what all criminals have in common? They all are unnaturally optimistic people. No matter how dumb the plan is, they are confident that everything is going to be just fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1789 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone consider inside job for insurance $. I never see anyone in these stores and wondered how the heck
They make any money, wasn’t surprised to see them gone from p mall it was always empty
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5925 posts
1388 upvotes
???
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:23 am

That’s also not very true. There are exemptions that can be made at the federal level for body guards if they are protecting a possible high threat target. Like when the us president visits Canada, the secret service is defiantly armed and protecting their vip. Secret service are technically body guards when visiting foreign countries and they are allowed to carry, through special permits and special exemptions.

Also it doesn’t have to be strictly transportation like brinks. It can just be strictly protection, read the link below.

Here’s the act straight from G of Can website https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... ltext.html