Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Arrow] Free Raspberry Pi 3 w/ $20 order plus free overnight shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2017 5:12 pm
Jan 22, 2016
113 posts
83 upvotes
This has been an adventure.

I originally made my order for the power supply, the case, and an Adafruit sticker to get me over the $20. The sticker and the power supply were not available, so I was told I'd get the case and they'd still give me a free Pi. Yay me!

So, it takes until the following Tuesday for the Pi and case to be shipped out. I get the notice so I contact FedEx with the tracking number so that they can attach the advancement fee to my account. Pi arrives on Wednesday and the driver says no fees owing. All seems good.

Friday morning I get an email from FedEx, "Shipping charges of $61 have been charged to your account". Oh no, I already have the Pi and I've ordered stuff from Amazon to go with it. I contact Arrow. The customer service rep tells me that the shipper has put the wrong INCOTERMS on the shipping document and that I should contact FedEx and send them copies of my invoices that show the proper INCOTERMS.

I contact FedEx. They email me back that I should hear from the billing department in 3 business days.

Wednesday comes, I have not heard back from FedEx. I check the snail mail, there is a bill from FedEx for the taxes and the ADVANCEMENT FEE! I send another email back to customer service (attaching the original invoices since I have as yet to hear from them about where to email them). Next day, an email from FedEx tells me again that the matter has been forwarded.

Friday I get an email from ARROW that my account is overdue. NO, I paid by PayPal when I originally ordered, the full order amount to which they have partially refunded for the missing items. I send an email saying such.

Today, an email from FedEx tells me they have denied my request to have the advancement fee removed. Arghhh!

I phone in. The very nice CSR looks at my account. She removes the advancement fee and tells me that the shipping charges are being reversed and charged to the shipper. I get an email within the hour about the shipping reversal.

I follow the link to my account. The refund is on my account. However, it appears that FedEx now does not have my credit card information. Info they had last week when they charged me. I re-enter the data, but it doesn't seem to be sticking. Guess I will check tomorrow.

Arrow has not contacted me to confirm that they have found my original payment.

(Edit: The INCOTERM on the packing slip was EXW. The correct INCOTERM on the invoice and other emailed document was DAP. DAP means that the shipper pays)

=================

It seems that I have received the Pi for US$6.88 plus the taxes at the border. So in the end it appears I got a fantastic deal. I'll feel better when I see the credit back on my card.

I think I'll order my next Pi from Microsoft or Amazon.ca.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
User864023 wrote: This has been an adventure.

I originally made my order for the power supply, the case, and an Adafruit sticker to get me over the $20. The sticker and the power supply were not available, so I was told I'd get the case and they'd still give me a free Pi. Yay me!

So, it takes until the following Tuesday for the Pi and case to be shipped out. I get the notice so I contact FedEx with the tracking number so that they can attach the advancement fee to my account. Pi arrives on Wednesday and the driver says no fees owing. All seems good.

Friday morning I get an email from FedEx, "Shipping charges of $61 have been charged to your account". Oh no, I already have the Pi and I've ordered stuff from Amazon to go with it. I contact Arrow. The customer service rep tells me that the shipper has put the wrong INCOTERMS on the shipping document and that I should contact FedEx and send them copies of my invoices that show the proper INCOTERMS.

I contact FedEx. They email me back that I should hear from the billing department in 3 business days.

Wednesday comes, I have not heard back from FedEx. I check the snail mail, there is a bill from FedEx for the taxes and the ADVANCEMENT FEE! I send another email back to customer service (attaching the original invoices since I have as yet to hear from them about where to email them). Next day, an email from FedEx tells me again that the matter has been forwarded.

Friday I get an email from ARROW that my account is overdue. NO, I paid by PayPal when I originally ordered, the full order amount to which they have partially refunded for the missing items. I send an email saying such.

Today, an email from FedEx tells me they have denied my request to have the advancement fee removed. Arghhh!

I phone in. The very nice CSR looks at my account. She removes the advancement fee and tells me that the shipping charges are being reversed and charged to the shipper. I get an email within the hour about the shipping reversal.

I follow the link to my account. The refund is on my account. However, it appears that FedEx now does not have my credit card information. Info they had last week when they charged me. I re-enter the data, but it doesn't seem to be sticking. Guess I will check tomorrow.

Arrow has not contacted me to confirm that they have found my original payment.

(Edit: The INCOTERM on the packing slip was EXW. The correct INCOTERM on the invoice and other emailed document was DAP. DAP means that the shipper pays)

=================

It seems that I have received the Pi for US$6.88 plus the taxes at the border. So in the end it appears I got a fantastic deal. I'll feel better when I see the credit back on my card.

I think I'll order my next Pi from Microsoft or Amazon.ca.
Thank you! I will try to contact FedEx. I never approach them, I assumed arrow's fault and never bothered FedEx. By the way that Arrow treated me, it's worth a shot.
Jan 22, 2016
113 posts
83 upvotes
iioonneell wrote: Thank you! I will try to contact FedEx. I never approach them, I assumed arrow's fault and never bothered FedEx. By the way that Arrow treated me, it's worth a shot.
My main thing is that I had never told Arrow my FedEx account, so there was no reason that they should have not assumed shipping costs. My invoice clearly chows the correct INCOTERM as DAP, so I'm hoping that this refund sticks as Arrow's own documents show they should pay for shipping. If your invoices do not show DAP as the INCOTERM, I suspect that you may have a problem. Good luck though.
Images
  • DAP.jpg
Last edited by User864023 on Jun 5th, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
User864023 wrote: My main thing is that I had never told Arrow my FedEx account, so there was no reason that they should have not assumed shipping costs. My invoice clearly chows the correct INCOTERM as DAP, so I'm hoping that this refund sticks as Arrow's own documents show they should pay for shipping. If your invoices do not show DAP as the INCOTERM, I suspect that you may have a problem. Good luck though.
Ooooo... Now I understand. I cannot see any infos on my bill. It's the one from Fedex or the one from Arrow with this code?
Jan 22, 2016
113 posts
83 upvotes
iioonneell wrote: Ooooo... Now I understand. I cannot see any infos on my bill. It's the one from Fedex or the one from Arrow with this code?
Your Arrow Invoice should show a spot that says INCOTERMS:

On mine it is followed by the word DAP
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
User864023 wrote: Your Arrow Invoice should show a spot that says INCOTERMS:

On mine it is followed by the word DAP
Mine is with FCA.
Jan 22, 2016
113 posts
83 upvotes
iioonneell wrote: Mine is with FCA.
The way I'm interpreting FCA is that the buyer is responsible for everything after the goods have been loaded on the truck. If your invoice says FCA, I don't think that there is any documentation that you can send FedEx that will prove that Arrow screwed up, especially when Arrow is unwilling to play ball.

Your situation was the exact reason that there wasn't a chance in hell that I was giving Arrow my FedEx account number. I figured that it was easier to deal with FedEx which has a Canadian Division if things went south. I hope that the "refunded" shipping fees that I received today stick, and that I don't get recharged. INCOTERMS is new industry "shop speak" that I will now pay close attention to.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
User864023 wrote: The way I'm interpreting FCA is that the buyer is responsible for everything after the goods have been loaded on the truck. If your invoice says FCA, I don't think that there is any documentation that you can send FedEx that will prove that Arrow screwed up, especially when Arrow is unwilling to play ball.

Your situation was the exact reason that there wasn't a chance in hell that I was giving Arrow my FedEx account number. I figured that it was easier to deal with FedEx which has a Canadian Division if things went south. I hope that the "refunded" shipping fees that I received today stick, and that I don't get recharged. INCOTERMS is new industry "shop speak" that I will now pay close attention to.
Thank you for clarification! It looks like a learned hard lesson :(.
Last edited by Harpagon on Jun 5th, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 22, 2016
113 posts
83 upvotes
Yeah...

I've decided to look at it this way. Even if eventually Arrow refuses to pay FedEx and it comes back at me, at a shipping cost of $61.81 it ends up being a lesson that costs me $15.26 over what a Pi would cost me at Amazon.ca. It still sucks, but my pocketbook can deal with $15. The case I got works out about the same price here, and the taxes needed to be paid either way. I've certainly had screw ups cost me more than net $15.

But yeah, I feel your pain still.
Nov 13, 2003
444 posts
40 upvotes
Hi,

Just a quick question, for the guys that got the free pi a week later, did you guys get an email that it was shipped or did it just show up. Thanks for the reply in advance.

JL
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3350 posts
2446 upvotes
Montreal
Hey everyone. Just got an email from arrow saying my order has been shipped and was given a tracking number.

My initial order were 1 rpi3 + the free rpi3 which I both got weeks ago.

Now I looked at the shipment and it says it's a pi zero...
Are they sending these out for free? Or is this an error.
Jan 22, 2016
113 posts
83 upvotes
daviiiiiid wrote: Hey everyone. Just got an email from arrow saying my order has been shipped and was given a tracking number.

My initial order were 1 rpi3 + the free rpi3 which I both got weeks ago.

Now I looked at the shipment and it says it's a pi zero...
Are they sending these out for free? Or is this an error.
Same thing happened to me. I chatted with a CSR. In my case Arrow had sent me a bill for the initial order that I had already paid, and they were sending me a Pi Zero for my troubles. Of course they neglected to tell me it was coming until I got the email. So far, no bill from fed-ex, and going by the INCOTERMS on the packing slip, Arrow is responsible for the duty and taxes on this particular shipment.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3350 posts
2446 upvotes
Montreal
User864023 wrote: Same thing happened to me. I chatted with a CSR. In my case Arrow had sent me a bill for the initial order that I had already paid, and they were sending me a Pi Zero for my troubles. Of course they neglected to tell me it was coming until I got the email. So far, no bill from fed-ex, and going by the INCOTERMS on the packing slip, Arrow is responsible for the duty and taxes on this particular shipment.
Oh well that's cool. Yeah I picked it up nothing to pay. Its so small!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)