• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2007 1:39 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 20, 2005
48 posts
2 upvotes

Arsehole Neighbour with Snow Service

I hope you guys can help me with this one.

I have the neighbour from hell who also thinks all houseowners' properties and the street sidewalks and medians are there for their dog to poop on without picking up. We're not on speaking terms as I had to report them for this abuse. Anyway, that's another story.

With the first snowfall, this mother **** of all neighbours also has snow service. For years the snow operator has continued to drag the snow out of their driveway and pile it up on my side of the street (my house is directly across the street from theirs). I've asked the operator when I had the chance to see him but his answer is that it's only snow and will eventually melt or the median is not my land. I know the sidewalk/median is not my land but as winter rolls on every year the end of my driveway has snowpiles at least 4' high as I also have to pile the snow from my driveway along the medians. It also makes backing the car out more dangerous as you cannot see any oncoming cars.

Is there any law that requires the snow operator to pile the snow on their side of the street? I know they are not allowed to leave snow on the roadway but last night he piled it up and did not bother to lift it onto the median. My side of the street of course. Anything I can do?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Sure there are lots of laws for things like that.. but it's only relavent to whatever municipality you are in, of which you didn't tell us.

You probably reported the dogpoop issue to the municipal by-laws office. Call them up again and ask about this issue and see what can be done.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
I had a neighbour like that.

He had a plow on his truck and did 3 neighbours opposite from me, he'd pile all the snow onto my lawn.

I confronted him about, called him an a**hole and he said he had a right to do it since the city has a metre allowance.

I called the city and police and those d*ckheads did nothing. I even told the police what if i went at him with a baseball bat. Well Sir you will be charged with assault, so I said your job is to stop that from happening, they weren't too happy with that...lol

The idiot stopped doing it, of course someone vandalized his house :) .
Jan 3, 2005
716 posts
159 upvotes
DSTU wrote:
The idiot stopped doing it, of course someone vandalized his house :) .
Do I dare ask???
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
check with bylaws about the poop and scoop and report him.

they dont do anything ,,,,, then at night or whenever,,, with a shovel,,, fling every bit of dog crap on his property etc,,,, that will send a message!!!!

snowplow,,,, there should be a bylaw about placing the snow,,,

does his plow vehicle have advertising on it? if it does,,,, there may be a bylaw restricting commercial vehicles to park in driveways
Sep 17, 2001
375 posts
13 upvotes
Or perhaps... when you see the snow removal service show up at his house and prepare to start plowing the snow - why don't you park on the street and block his ability to pile the snow. The snow removal operator will have to find an alternate location, & he won't likely wait around wasting time for bylaw to show.
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
4 upvotes
eXpedite wrote: Or perhaps... when you see the snow removal service show up at his house and prepare to start plowing the snow - why don't you park on the street and block his ability to pile the snow. The snow removal operator will have to find an alternate location, & he won't likely wait around wasting time for bylaw to show.
Onlly probleam with that is the op would get a ticket.Bylaw makes rounds now they don't waite untill someone calls.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3284 posts
70 upvotes
Your best bet for this is to check with your city bylaw department. There is probably a law against this
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
you should dump a truck full of cow manure on his driveway after he gets it plowed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
You should do the hot oatmeal thing that was mentioned in the car forum to his windows and porch.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
new_vr wrote: Your best bet for this is to check with your city bylaw department. There is probably a law against this

I would assume there is.

In Edmonton it is against our Bylaw's to pile snow from private property onto public property. This only makes sense, or else everyone would just shovel their driveways onto the street / in front of neighbour's house to give themselves more parking.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
4040 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
There is a by-law everywhere that says you cannot put snow on the street. By pushing the snow across the street he is technically breaking the by-law. Also using the excuse that the city owns a meter of your frontage does not work either because then he is still putting snow on city property. He has no out and is bullchitting you and hoping you will go away. This is not a police matter unless you make it one by assalting him like a post above mentions. It is a city by-law enforcment officers job so you should call them.

Now after saying all that I operate a snow service and have done what the OP is complaining about. In some areas it is all you can do if there is street parking and you cannot push it onto the clients own lawn. However in 18 years I have only been asked to not do it twice and I stopped both times. As far as I am concerned you are a potental client.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
Aug 13, 2006
532 posts
7 upvotes
OP,

What about hiring a competing snow service for the sole purpose of putting all your neighbours snow back onto his side of roadway?

I'd do it if I had the money and the time. Heck, I'd do it myself (when I will Super7 or two)!

Good Luck!
commie wrote: BTW - with your spelling and grammars...I don't think you will have to worry about professional schools...
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Anessa wrote: You should do the hot oatmeal thing that was mentioned in the car forum to his windows and porch.
No hot oatmeal is complete without a smattering of egg...
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
4 upvotes
Harkonnen wrote: OP,

What about hiring a competing snow service for the sole purpose of putting all your neighbours snow back onto his side of roadway?

I'd do it if I had the money and the time. Heck, I'd do it myself (when I will Super7 or two)!

Good Luck!
No snow plow company would do it.
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
4 upvotes
adrian1170 wrote: Personally I like Jim Carreys solution - Walk right right into this guys house, grab his newspaper, walk out of the house, crouch down read the paper and crap right on his lawn....
If a $100 fine is worth it go for it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)